OT - My graphics card died :( ... time for a new one :)

Hit the render button the other day and 'bloop' all the colours went funny then I had little white squares all over the screen.  Shut the PC down and rebooted - but now had long thin rectangles all over.  I could still see the (now 800x600) display and the PC works okay - just rectangles all over and no Nvidia-added goodness.

Was wondering if it was really the card or the MB or something else.

Luckily wifey is smart and asked "Do you have another card you could check it with?"

Then I remembered I'd kept the 9600 GT from my last machine (the one who's MB fried after an impressive 10 years) in a box somewhere.  Installing that, everything worked fine.

So now I'm in the fortunate position of affording a new card.  I had the GTX780 (3Gb) for 3 years - hoping the next one lasts at least as long.

Just deciding between the 1070Ti and the 1080 (not Ti).  The 1080 looks to be better, but not necessarily that much better for the price.  Was going to go with the 1060 but I got a donation (thanks Mum+Dad) so now I can upgrade.  Blessings in disguise and all that.

Comments

• Did you try putting the apparently broken card back in? Sometimes they come unseated enough to cause issues without being actively bad.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

The GTX 1080 and 1070 ti are very close to each other in raw GPU power.
    The biggest thing that sets them apart is GDDR5 vs GDDR5X ram.
    Not sure how much of an impact extra memmory bandwidth has on Iray.

Honestly given the choice, I would go for the 1080.  It's a little better all around for a little more money.
    Faster Boost Clock Speed
    More Cuda Cores
    Faster VRAM
    Same Power Usage

• ^Thanks for the advice :)

Did you try putting the apparently broken card back in? Sometimes they come unseated enough to cause issues without being actively bad.

Yeah - tried reseating it a few times (and cleaning, etc) - thanks anyway :)

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

^Thanks for the advice :)

Did you try putting the apparently broken card back in? Sometimes they come unseated enough to cause issues without being actively bad.

Yeah - tried reseating it a few times (and cleaning, etc) - thanks anyway :)

Once the GPU starts drawing unwanted lines or dots on the screen it's usualy game over for that card.

• If you do get a new card do run MSI afterburner and turn the fan speed on your new video card to 100% before you start rendering to increase the life of your card. Iray will cook your video card like a egg on a hot pan.

• If you do get a new card do run MSI afterburner and turn the fan speed on your new video card to 100% before you start rendering to increase the life of your card. Iray will cook your video card like a egg on a hot pan.

Sounds like a good plan, cheers :)