glTF support

RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
edited November 2017 in Product Suggestions

With Khrono's new glTF file format specification finalisation happening, are there any plans for support in Daz3d (import/export and so on)?  I have found round-tripping fbx between various packages to be a gigantic pain, so I'm hoping a new format that isn't terrible may prove to be extremely useful in future.

Post edited by Robinson on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I haven't seen the glTF format in any apps I use other than Blender. I doubt you will see it any time soon if at all with DS since DS isn't really big on exporting or importing to other apps based on the formats they "kinda" support already and the many they don't.

• Sounds like they went and reinvented the wheel... This is pretty much what DSON was supposed to be, wasn't it?

• Sounds like they went and reinvented the wheel... This is pretty much what DSON was supposed to be, wasn't it?

DSON is a Daz format, tailored for Daz content. I assume this format is intended to be gernal purpose, and it comes from a consortium representing many comppanies and bodies not just Daz making it more likely to be adopted as (yet another) standard.

• "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."

--Andrew S. Tanenbaum 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,387

There are so many good freebies in gITF format.  It's kind of a pain getting them to work from native formats or converting from gLTF.

• "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."

For many types of data this is true. But 3D modeling and rendering is still in need of a good, current, open-source, standard interchange format to actually get widely adopted. Khronos's previous attempt, Collada DAE was the most successful try, but it is now a bit dated, and adoption by model providers (TurboSquid and their ilk) was never good enough to beat out OBJ and FBX. Most 3D software on the market right now still has better support to share data with other programs through one of those formats that has serious limitations:

• Wavefront OBJ: Not technically open-source, supports only basic things without resorting to adding custom user data. No support for vertex colors, bones and weights, animation data, etc.
    • Autodesk FBX: A completely-closed, proprietary, not publicly-documented format which has also grown over the years to handle all the various products Autodesk has bought from other companies. The only proper way to make use of it is through the supplied SDK (not free, or free to distribute, poor documentation) which is still a mess because of how many ways the format can now encode the same data. Open-source software like Blender can't use the SDK, so support is limited, fragile, and all reverse engineered.

An industry standard JSON-based format would be a godsend, particularly for those of us who have to work with these files for a living (the FBX SDK has provided me no shortage of headaches).