100% CPU Load

Hi! I have a big problem with Daz Studio, I just download it yesterday and when I just open the program I get a 100%  load of my 8 cores at my Ryzen 7...I want to mention that this is the only program I have problems with it...without using this program my CPU stay calm at not even 5%...so please help me! I really want to start and learn how to use Daz Studio

problem.png
1920 x 1080 - 188K

Comments

• davegvdavegv Posts: 164

I notice the (12) next to Daz Studio Application - You have 12 instances of daz running?

When I run Daz and Render I have ( 2 ) processes running ( The Application and the rendering process ) ...

Mine uses only 18% of my I7-6850K INTEL ...

• boghyzewboghyzew Posts: 4
    edited December 2017
    davegv said:

I notice the (12) next to Daz Studio Application - You have 12 instances of daz running?

When I run Daz and Render I have ( 2 ) processes running ( The Application and the rendering process ) ...

Mine uses only 18% of my I7-6850K INTEL ...

Wow! I didn't notice that...but what should cause that? You have any idea? I tried to open it again but this time I don't see any (12) but still going at 90%, then for some reason after 10 seconds he goes to 0%... why? Is this normal?

Post edited by boghyzew on
  • Your viewport is in Iray preview mode, so it does a brief render to make sure that is corect and then drops back until the scene or view change again - presumably you are using the CPU for Iray, so it is maxed out during that process. Generally rendering will use close to 100% on the devices it is running on (CPU or, for Iray, GPU). Some other processes are also multi-threaded.

• davegv said:

Your viewport is in Iray preview mode, so it does a brief render to make sure that is corect and then drops back until the scene or view change again - presumably you are using the CPU for Iray, so it is maxed out during that process. Generally rendering will use close to 100% on the devices it is running on (CPU or, for Iray, GPU). Some other processes are also multi-threaded.

Can you help me? I don't know how to setup to much stuff so I don't have this problem...I'm new to Daz...I just want to work normal...tell me what I'm doing wrong and what and how to change 

• On the pull down in the view port to the left of where it says "Perspective View" click the drop down and change it from "Nvidia Iray" to "Texture Shaded".

• Or press the ctrl 9 - ctrl plus a number key will select a drawstyle, 9 is Texture Shaded.

• On the pull down in the view port to the left of where it says "Perspective View" click the drop down and change it from "Nvidia Iray" to "Texture Shaded".

Or press the ctrl 9 - ctrl plus a number key will select a drawstyle, 9 is Texture Shaded.

Wow Thanks! This worked like a charm! Why was this perspective view that important? Also why Nvidia Iray even exist?

• boghyzewboghyzew Posts: 4
    edited December 2017

another question is...is normal the CPU to run at 100% when I render for Ryzen 7? Also the GPU should do sometinhg? Because is 0 and I have a gtx 1070

Post edited by boghyzew on
  • By default, on a clean install, I think DS still uses texture Shaded. Iray is the current default render engine, and if your harware suports it (probably meaning if you have an nVidia GPU) using the Iray preview mode gies the clearest idea of how the final scene will look (for Iray there's the IPR mode of the Aux Viewport which does s similar job and will likewise use as many threads as it can get).

• boghyzew said:

another question is...is normal the CPU to run at 100% when I render for Ryzen 7? Also the GPU should do sometinhg? Because is 0 and I have a gtx 1070

Make sure you have recent drivers installed that support the GTX 1070 and make sure it's selected in the Render Settings -> Advanced -> Hardware tab.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Also do 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' to bring up the Windows Task Manager - select the tab 'Details' from the Task Manager & then scroll to the entry for DAZ Studio & right click on it & select 'Set Affinity' - now from the list of CPU threads given uncheck CPU 0 & then 'OK/Apply' to close that dialogue & DZ Studio will now beable to take 100% CPU resources.

• AbnormalPixelsAbnormalPixels Posts: 37
    edited December 2017
    boghyzew said:

Hi! I have a big problem with Daz Studio, I just download it yesterday and when I just open the program I get a 100%  load of my 8 cores at my Ryzen 7...I want to mention that this is the only program I have problems with it...without using this program my CPU stay calm at not even 5%...so please help me! I really want to start and learn how to use Daz Studio

daz will use everything. If you want to work and render at the same time, you need to "set affinity" of your cpu cores as nonesuch00 stated but I leave cores 0-8 running and uncheck 9-12 for other applications.

1. Open/Have DAZ Studio Running.

2. Open/Run Task Manager.

3. Right click on DAZ Studio.exe

4. Dialog Box should pop up. Click on "Go to details".

5. In the Details view of the dialog box, Right click on DAZ Studio.

6. A new dialog box will come up. Click on "Set Affinity".

7. All the cores available on your CPU will be shown. Try unchecking 2 cores and see if that helps. I uncheck the last 4 (I have 12 virtual on my 6 core i7-2011 v3).

This will limit DAZ to use only the cores/virtual cores you tell it to so you can render and still work. Unfortunately you have to do this every time you start DAZ. so the best thing to do is to create a short cut on your desktop that does this for you. this is what I have done for DAZ and 3DS Max. Here is a tutorial on how to do it: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40339-cpu-affinity-shortcut-program-create-windows.html

Post edited by AbnormalPixels on
  • I have a Ryzen 7 and have been using DS for years, always on AMD processors so not sure if its the same for the Intels but as stated above it will always use a lot of resources - nearly if not actually 100% CPU in task manager but then will drop to pretty much nothing when the renders finished. 

As far as setting the affinity .... I wouldn't try that myself ... for me it works on every application but DAZ.  I gave up back in the 64bit versions of DS3, every time I set the affinity "DAZ Studio encontered a problem and needs to close.  Click here to submit a bug report...", happened on XP and Windows 7 so simply gave up.

I tend to set the affinity on every thing else to allow DAZ full use of all cores while restricting all else if I ever need to change it.

edited December 2017
    garadir said:

I have a Ryzen 7 and have been using DS for years, always on AMD processors so not sure if its the same for the Intels but as stated above it will always use a lot of resources - nearly if not actually 100% CPU in task manager but then will drop to pretty much nothing when the renders finished. 

As far as setting the affinity .... I wouldn't try that myself ... for me it works on every application but DAZ.  I gave up back in the 64bit versions of DS3, every time I set the affinity "DAZ Studio encontered a problem and needs to close.  Click here to submit a bug report...", happened on XP and Windows 7 so simply gave up.

I tend to set the affinity on every thing else to allow DAZ full use of all cores while restricting all else if I ever need to change it.

That's not affinity causing that problem but almost certainly that your computer ran out of RAM. If one is using DAZ Studio and has a problem with 100% CPU utilization and being I/O bound then removing DAZ Studio from 1 or more CPU core hyperthreads is the most effective and safe way to remedy that.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • garadirgaradir Posts: 60
    edited December 2017
    garadir said:

I have a Ryzen 7 and have been using DS for years, always on AMD processors so not sure if its the same for the Intels but as stated above it will always use a lot of resources - nearly if not actually 100% CPU in task manager but then will drop to pretty much nothing when the renders finished. 

That's not affinity causing that problem but almost certainly that your computer ran out of RAM. If one is using DAZ Studio and has a problem with 100% CPU utilization and being I/O bound then removing DAZ Studio from 1 or more CPU core hyperthreads is the most effective and safe way to remedy that.

Hmmm, not quite true I'm afraid, when the only app running is DS, the scene file is only 30Mb and the RAM is 4Gb with 2Gb GPU RAM as was (now 8Gb RAM with 2Gb GPU RAM) ... I can't see DAZ exploding between 2-7Gb RAM for processing or everyone would have RAM issues and no-one would use it ... May be it was something on my system such as the AV at the time, a system monitor I was using at the time, but it wasn't the RAM.  Anyway, I gave up ....

Post edited by garadir on
  • I stand corrected....

I have just tried it for the 1st time in years and it has rendered successfully across only 2 cores, DS used an extra 3-4Gb RAM at the start of rendering.  This just shows that Windows ignored the GPU RAM sharing I had enabled at the time (don't use that now) and the combined 6Gb I had at the time was not enough.

(I normally only use software shadows and rendering so sharing the GPU RAM was not an issue, still only using 3Delight now, but that's by choice due to keeping the render finishing constant across a set of comics I have been producing since V4/M4 days).  

edited December 2017
    garadir said:

That's not affinity causing that problem but almost certainly that your computer ran out of RAM.

garadir said:
    garadir said:

Hmmm, not quite true I'm afraid, when the only app running is DS, the scene file is only 30Mb and the RAM is 4Gb with 2Gb GPU RAM as was (now 8Gb RAM with 2Gb GPU RAM) ... I can't see DAZ exploding between 2-7Gb RAM for processing or everyone would have RAM issues and no-one would use it ... May be it was something on my system such as the AV at the time, a system monitor I was using at the time, but it wasn't the RAM.  Anyway, I gave up ....

The scene file's size is small because 

1) it only points to other DAZ assets which when put together all in the scene are much bigger than the scene file

2) the textures used in that scene are bigger in RAM after they are decompressed from their storage location

So together those exceeding your RAM will cause DAZ to crash and not that you've removed the affinity to a couple of hyperthreads for DAZ Studio

Lowering the number of hyperthreads used by DAZ Studio will only slow down renders and dForce simulations and those type activities, it won't crash DAZ Studio.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • garadir said:

That's not affinity causing that problem but almost certainly that your computer ran out of RAM.

garadir said:
    garadir said:

The scene file's size is small because 

1) it only points to other DAZ assets which when put together all in the scene are much bigger than the scene file

2) the textures used in that scene are bigger in RAM after they are decompressed from their storage location

So together those exceeding your RAM will cause DAZ to crash and not that you've removed the affinity to a couple of hyperthreads for DAZ Studio

Lowering the number of hyperthreads used by DAZ Studio will only slow down renders and dForce simulations and those type activities, it won't crash DAZ Studio.

Yes I am aware of the file being smaller as it is only a list, however when I was using it before in the DS3 days I had the issue even with only 1 model loaded, so I'm guessing it was a software conflict by the system monitors I had installed as background processes due to - as you said - memory usage - causing the issue.  I don't use them anymore as have no need.  So the point is - it does work and I stand both corrected and educated - so thank you smiley.  And hopefully this helps Boghyzew out as well ...