Common error using brushes for painting a starry night with a moon

2»

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

English in US really only uses gender, and except for the moon, it seems to always be female gender referring to a vehicle of some sort, or a geopolitical entity but implicit in refering to the geopolitical entity as female is the assumption of peace and bounty but the willingness to go to war if needed. And nature itself without regard for geopolitical orginizations is often referred to as feminine.

There probably other things in US English assigned male gender informally besides the moon but I can't think of any right now except the neutral gender of the sun is drawn typically as these smiley childlike gelding creatures along with most other inanimate objects and non-human animals that get animated for children's shows and storys.

Language is a fascinating topic to me. The words we have in our languages and the associations we have with those words shape the way we think of so many things. It shapes HOW we think. What we think. 

It's funny to me that in English America (at least, today) people will get offended by things like "gendered" things, when in SO MANY other languages... it's just part of the language.

Let me use a few examples.

In English "the" (an indefinite article) is genderless. When we say, "The day" or "the night", there is nothing inherently "gendered" about them.

But, in French, "the day" is "Le jour". In German, it is, "Der Tag".

Both of these examples have a "male" or "masculine" article before them. Here, "the" is male.

But, "the night" in French is "La nuit". In German it is, "Die Nacht". Here, "the" is feminine.

These are not like us referring to our cars as "she". This is actually how the language is spoken. So, in both examples, the "maleness" or "femaleness" is not a choice. It is just how the language is spoken.

It is neat, language really. For example you mentioned day, which is typically thought of a a known expectation with clear visibility, learning, hard work, and understanding and is assigned masculine gender and the nacht in it's less visible ways but also as a time typically of eating, washing, rest and safety is called feminine. Clearly there was reason to do that, they aren't random assignments and they are associating one's personal expectations of human behavior with these objects to temper one's expectations and guide their own behavior. In US English the night is also a she and mysterious. It can be seen as a warning to men that night is assigned a feminine gender to encourage men to behave more feminine in those situations dealing with those objects rather than associate night and mystery and woman as equals it's implying behave like a woman in mysterious circumstances and with mysterious objects. It's pretty ingenious if that's what they've actually done originally.

Yes!!! It is interesting to me that you, when making associations you have with the words with "day and night", very definitely have made "American" associations with those ideas. Those "American" associations are very Roman!! In some cultures, Night as associated with wisdom and knowledge. And yes, how we make these associations shapes how we think.

Another example:

In some Asian cultures, White is the color of death and mourning. Not Black.

I think is is white or black in there solitude that represents death. Pure black & pure white are very rare, if non-existant, things in nature so that makes me wonder when these associations were formed. In the natural world they would have used dark or light as synonyms for black or white. You know in Old German/Old English and associated languages blue was the word for black and similarly when the need to express a color was much less the color palette and associated words for colors was much smaller. It still drives me to distraction that many flowers called blue are actually a pale pinkish lavender (apparently women see blue wavelengths in flowers better than men do too).   

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,902
    edited December 2017

English in US really only uses gender, and except for the moon, it seems to always be female gender referring to a vehicle of some sort, or a geopolitical entity but implicit in refering to the geopolitical entity as female is the assumption of peace and bounty but the willingness to go to war if needed. And nature itself without regard for geopolitical orginizations is often referred to as feminine.

There probably other things in US English assigned male gender informally besides the moon but I can't think of any right now except the neutral gender of the sun is drawn typically as these smiley childlike gelding creatures along with most other inanimate objects and non-human animals that get animated for children's shows and storys.

Language is a fascinating topic to me. The words we have in our languages and the associations we have with those words shape the way we think of so many things. It shapes HOW we think. What we think. 

It's funny to me that in English America (at least, today) people will get offended by things like "gendered" things, when in SO MANY other languages... it's just part of the language.

Let me use a few examples.

In English "the" (an indefinite article) is genderless. When we say, "The day" or "the night", there is nothing inherently "gendered" about them.

But, in French, "the day" is "Le jour". In German, it is, "Der Tag".

Both of these examples have a "male" or "masculine" article before them. Here, "the" is male.

But, "the night" in French is "La nuit". In German it is, "Die Nacht". Here, "the" is feminine.

These are not like us referring to our cars as "she". This is actually how the language is spoken. So, in both examples, the "maleness" or "femaleness" is not a choice. It is just how the language is spoken.

It is neat, language really. For example you mentioned day, which is typically thought of a a known expectation with clear visibility, learning, hard work, and understanding and is assigned masculine gender and the nacht in it's less visible ways but also as a time typically of eating, washing, rest and safety is called feminine. Clearly there was reason to do that, they aren't random assignments and they are associating one's personal expectations of human behavior with these objects to temper one's expectations and guide their own behavior. In US English the night is also a she and mysterious. It can be seen as a warning to men that night is assigned a feminine gender to encourage men to behave more feminine in those situations dealing with those objects rather than associate night and mystery and woman as equals it's implying behave like a woman in mysterious circumstances and with mysterious objects. It's pretty ingenious if that's what they've actually done originally.

Yes!!! It is interesting to me that you, when making associations you have with the words with "day and night", very definitely have made "American" associations with those ideas. Those "American" associations are very Roman!! In some cultures, Night as associated with wisdom and knowledge. And yes, how we make these associations shapes how we think.

Another example:

In some Asian cultures, White is the color of death and mourning. Not Black.

I think is is white or black in there solitude that represents death. Pure black & pure white are very rare, if non-existant, things in nature so that makes me wonder when these associations were formed. In the natural world they would have used dark or light as synonyms for black or white. You know in Old German/Old English and associated languages blue was the word for black and similarly when the need to express a color was much less the color palette and associated words for colors was much smaller. It still drives me to distraction that many flowers called blue are actually a pale pinkish lavender (apparently women see blue wavelengths in flowers better than men do too).   

Yeah, blue is a weird word. LOL smiley And color associations a whole OTHER topic. LOL.

I'm sorry, cherpenbeck for derailing your thread. sad I tried a couple of times to stay on moon-topic. ha!

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 2017
    Chohole said:

She is the focal point of the sky

The attention is unrequited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrsraxQ1YUc

Edit: apparently the link is "private". Just search youtube for:

handsome family the sad milkman

and the video will appear, as if by magic.

Post edited by Peter Fulford on
  • Chohole said:

She is the focal point of the sky

The attention is unrequited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrsraxQ1YUc

LOL! That's awesome! (that link says it was private, but I found another one so I could hear it!) 

Here's one of my favorite "moon songs". smiley

• Oh, sorry, I didn't realise there was an issue with the link. Chohole will confirm that I'm not very good at youtube.

Just search yuotube for

and you'll get the original. I imagine they're trying to stay ahead of the copyright alogorythymythingy.

• Oh, sorry, I didn't realise there was an issue with the link. Chohole will confirm that I'm not very good at youtube.

Just search yuotube for

and you'll get the original. I imagine they're trying to stay ahead of the copyright alogorythymythingy.

Found it!! Thanks! smiley

• It is possible to see stars and planets very close to the moon.

When I was a lad I was fortunate to observe a perfect grazing lunar occultation of Venus. By odd coincidence the exact path of this line-of-site effect went directly over a local astronomer's observatory, and he and I sat in the dome on a cold a.m. and watched a highly magnified Venus disappear-appear-disappear-appear several times behind the mountains along the edge of the moon. Because the telescope was motorised to compensate for the spin of the Earth, all the motion we were seeing was of the moon moving slowly around its orbit. Awesome stuff, if you're easily pleased. Somewhere in the shambles of this house I have a time-lapse Super 8 cine film of the event, but only a camera lens view rather than through the telescope - so not visually exciting.

I've always been quite partial to the erroneous but pretty artistic view of stars across the moon. Perhaps, as well as countless Christmas cards, this is nostalgia for the flag of Singapore, where I spent some time as an even younger lad.

edited December 2017

It is possible to see stars and planets very close to the moon.

When I was a lad I was fortunate to observe a perfect grazing lunar occultation of Venus. By odd coincidence the exact path of this line-of-site effect went directly over a local astronomer's observatory, and he and I sat in the dome on a cold a.m. and watched a highly magnified Venus disappear-appear-disappear-appear several times behind the mountains along the edge of the moon. Because the telescope was motorised to compensate for the spin of the Earth, all the motion we were seeing was of the moon moving slowly around its orbit. Awesome stuff, if you're easily pleased. Somewhere in the shambles of this house I have a time-lapse Super 8 cine film of the event, but only a camera lens view rather than through the telescope - so not visually exciting.

I've always been quite partial to the erroneous but pretty artistic view of stars across the moon. Perhaps, as well as countless Christmas cards, this is nostalgia for the flag of Singapore, where I spent some time as an even younger lad.

That was wonderful! Thank you for sharing it with us! I can only imagine how wonderful and mysterious such a sight would be!! So, if I may? Where were you when you saw it?

• I was at the end of a garden adjacent to Shivean Gate in the village of Moulton in the Lincolnshire fens, in England. I'm from England, and still live in England. Back then, the fens were superb for astronomy, with fantastic views of the Milky Way bettered only by true high-wilderness dark skies. Now, like much of the UK, they are awash with light from blazing LED streetlights and security lamps.

Fortunately, the Moon and planets can be observed OK even from the middle of bright cities, so there is still a bit of heavenly entertainment left.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,411
    edited December 2017

Aren't we lucky that DAZ noticed our thread and gave us a new 3d-moon today?

Post edited by cherpenbeck on
    edited December 2017

Aren't we lucky that DAZ notized our thread and gave us a new 3d-moon today?

I noticed that! smiley

edited December 2017
    Did you have inside information? Lol. Or? Is it something we just blame on the moon? Ha.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I will have to check out if it can be rendered as crescent, half, and so on...

• "Moon 360" is a set of HDR environments - they're already rendered. It seems there are only two views of the whole moon; the others being surface landscapes suitable for the placement of figures and props, etc.

Those landscapes (rendered in Terregen) are not a bad effort. They're a bit "sharp" and "jagged" compared to the more softened and rounded surface of the actual moon; more akin to the romantic surface imagined in "2001 A Space Odyssey" (made just before the NASA landings).