My preview is all wrong! help...

alex_bb8aa5daalex_bb8aa5da Posts: 107
edited December 2017 in New Users

I just bought Render Studio Iray and am working though the video tutorial. All was good while I added a background and background light. Then I turned off the background light (as per instruction) and added a key light to the scene. It turne totally black. I tried the render more and the texture shaded mode. All black. I tried to click render - and AHA, the light works in when actually rendered...  So I am deducing that I must have some setting screwed up where in my regular working screen it isn't showing important lights.  Any idea how to correct?  I can't work off a black screen and imagine im my mind what the eventual light might look like.  On the tutorial video, when the guy ads a key light, it shows up in his preview view, just like the background lights did.  meeeeep!!!

Edited to add:  If i turn on "Dome and scene" in enviernment mode, i do get my image to show up - but the tutorial specifically said to use SCENE ONLY mode because the dome messed with the light set up, which is the whole point of the product...

Edited to add: I'm attaching a screen shot that shows, with "scene only", the difference of what I see in the preview pane and what I see when I start running the actual render. Nothing alike.... double meep.

Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 1.13.25 PM.png
2880 x 1800 - 3M
Post edited by alex_bb8aa5da on

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

CTRL+L activates the scene light.

When you switch off the light, just like in real life, everything goes dark. wink

When you have no light (except for HDRI or mesh lights) in your scene, the scene light will automatically switch on. Once you have alight in your scene, that is doiung the lighting, when on. Or not, when switched off.

• alex_bb8aa5daalex_bb8aa5da Posts: 107
    edited December 2017

Bee, i tried that, and it helped in the texture shaded view but not in the iray preview view :(

Attaching another example. The preview in the render pane is nothing like what the actual render is like. How in the world do I get the preview to accuratly reflect the lighting?

Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 1.44.10 PM.png
    2880 x 1800 - 3M
    Post edited by alex_bb8aa5da on
  • You need to change the" Draw Mode" of your preview to Photoreal instead of Interactive to get things to look the same.

• THANK YOU Tottallou!!!!!  I think that works!!!