Genesis 3 poses to Genesis 8?

Arrrrgh, I'm certain this product exists, and that I've seen it before, but now I can't find it. Something that allows you to use G3 poses for G8?

Am I imagining it? If not, can someone please point the way? I seem to have lost my ability to search coherently.

Thanks to anyone who answers! 

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,875
    edited February 2018

Take a look here. This works great and is free. Here is the male version. Once you install them, they will appear as new dials in the Parameters pane.

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

Take a look here. This works great and is free. Here is the male version. Once you install them, they will appear as new dials in the Parameters pane.

That's great! Thanks! Do you know, will this also work for face poses?

These are only for the body, not the facial expressions. 

You will find the dials under Pose Controls/G3F Pose. There is one dial for the whole body, or you can tweak the arms and legs separately. 

Capture.JPG
    506 x 684 - 58K
  • FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,923

So, correct me if I'm wrong, barbult, these converters don't convert the poses themselves, but rather move the G8 figures into position to accept the G3 poses? I'm always on the look out for the ways and means to convert my older poses to the newer figures, but I find most of the converters fall short of my expectations. It's winds up being easier to just hand build the poses from scratch (which isn't always easy, nor is it an efficient use of my time.) I would love to convert my older pose sets to the newer figures for folk but it's a slow process. Sigh...

edited February 2018
    FeralFey said:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, barbult, these converters don't convert the poses themselves, but rather move the G8 figures into position to accept the G3 poses? I'm always on the look out for the ways and means to convert my older poses to the newer figures, but I find most of the converters fall short of my expectations. It's winds up being easier to just hand build the poses from scratch (which isn't always easy, nor is it an efficient use of my time.) I would love to convert my older pose sets to the newer figures for folk but it's a slow process. Sigh...

You are correct. This converter does not convert the G3 pose files and create new pose files for G8. It adjusts G8's body to handle the differences between the way G3 poses and the way G8 poses. It won't work for you as a content creator to create a G8 product from a G3 product. 

I like it for several reasons:

1. You move the dial ONE TIME and then you can apply any G3 pose you have. You can switch from one G3 pose to another without doing anything more than applying the second G3 pose. If you want to use a G8 pose instead, you just dial out the G3 pose fix.
    2. You don't clutter up your content folders with the same poses all over again for G8.
    3. It handles complicated/extreme poses very well. It did a better job than a pose converter I purchased (and returned) in the Daz Store. Some poses may still need a little tweaking when there are complicated body interactions with hands, for example. 
    4. I can apply G3 poses that were installed by Daz Connect without any issues. Some other converters have problems with poses installed with Daz Connect.
    5. The amount of pose conversion can be adjusted by dialing the dial back from 100% to a lower value. Sometimes a slightly lower value will work even better.
    6. The amount of conversion applied to each arm and leg can be dialed separately if you wish. 

It doesn't handle hierarchical poses that are based on G3. I don't know if the store bought converter would handle hierarchical poses or not.

Since the metadata for the G3 poses don't list G8 as a compatible figure, the G3 poses don't show up in Smart Content when G8 is selected in the Scene pane when you have filter by context checked. However, the pose converter that I bought in the store didn't create any metadata for the converted pose files either, so that was no better.

barbult said:
    FeralFey said:

It doesn't handle hierarchical poses that are based on G3. I don't know if the store bought converter would handle hierarchical poses or not.

Since the metadata for the G3 poses don't list G8 as a compatible figure, the G3 poses don't show up in Smart Content when G8 is selected in the Scene pane when you have filter by context checked. However, the pose converter that I bought in the store didn't create any metadata for the converted pose files either, so that was no better.

No, given how hierarchical poses are built, it doesn't surprise me that the G3 ones won't work on the G8 figures. For those you'd need G8 specific HPPs, and as of yet, I haven't heard of any converters for HPPs.

I totally get the reasons for liking these dial adaptations. It's pretty dang clever, if you ask me, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of it first. Lol. (And of course, now if I come up with a similar product, I'll look like I'm being derivative, and that's not cool.) The PAs were given at one point when G8 first came out a utility to convert G8 to the G3 "t" pose to help with content creation, and I'm really surprised it never occured to me that we could be using said utility (which is essentially what these morph dials are) to be a conduit for folk to use the G3 poses on G8. D'oh!!

I think you COULD use this technique to convert your poses. Just bake the pose controls (Shift-B) and then save the converted pose (after the requisite tweaking to meet your perfectionist standards!). 

I'll give that a shot and see if it works. Thanks!

Oh, and @ Those Things - no, these morph dials won't help with converting expressions. They're only set up to move the bones in the G8 figure's bodies to match those of the G3 figures. There isn't any data/dial information included in the set that covers the face bones. 

That being said, I think the face bones (or expression bones if you will) are similar enough between G8 and G3 that you might be able to get away with using the G3 "one click"/"one button" expression sets on G8. There is a way to get the morph dial information from G3 into G8 when it comes to the slider dial expression sets, but that's contingent upon how comfortable you are with mucking about in the back end of the files. 

edited February 2018

Here is a complicated FeralFey pose that I tried the converter on. This is from the Classic Pin-Up Sitting Poses for G3F product. You can see that the G8F result is not perfect, but it is very useable. The left hand does not quite touch the divan. After rendering this, I adjusted the left arm conversion dial to 0.96 insted of 1, and it was even better. To match perfectly, more adjustments would be needed. But for general use, I think it works fine for me.

G3 Pin Up 21 Seated Leaning Left.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 878K
    G8 Pin Up 21 Seated Leaning Left.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 866K

OK, I see what you mean. (And thank you for taking the time to show me an illustration - plus, thanks for the plug for one of my poses! wink) I guess it's kind of the same kettle of fish in that the poses don't exactly translate without some fussing. It's just a different means of getting to the same result. 

That being said...there's room for improvement. And that means I'm definitely going to get under the hood here and see what I can come up with. 

I'm kind of curious (and maybe I should open up another thread for this), but IF people were interested in updated versions of my older sets, which ones would be most appealing? Ironically, your illustration above is from one of my few sets that I originally made for Genesis and then upgraded to Genesis 3. I would love to update them all to the current figures, but since I have almost 150 sets in the store, I'm at a loss as to where to begin. (Plus, I have a good two dozen new pose sets that I plan on putting in the store this year. But if I had a better idea of what my customers are interested in having ported over the the G8 platform, that would help me immensely.)

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited February 2018
    barbult said:
    FeralFey said:

You are correct. This converter does not convert the G3 pose files and create new pose files for G8. It adjusts G8's body to handle the differences between the way G3 poses and the way G8 poses. It won't work for you as a content creator to create a G8 product from a G3 product.

I'd say they're mostly correct with a caveat. You can convert to pure transform values using Bake To Transforms (shortcut is Shift-B). You can do this for any pose control.

Doing things this way may or may not be slower than using a batch converter and tweaking poses/resaving again after the fact as Bake To Transforms is ungodly slow. Suggest limiting Property Path to "Pose Controls/G3F Pose" or the male equivalent and unchecking Property Type if you want to try. (The pose control "type" isn't actually pose control here because I was stupid when I made them. I will update them someday when I'm bored maybe.)

EDIT: lol, Barbult already brought the important part of this up, but the note to uncheck property type is still relevant, I think.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • I learned a lot from all of this. Thanks!

• FeralFey said:

The PAs were given at one point when G8 first came out a utility to convert G8 to the G3 "t" pose to help with content creation, and I'm really surprised it never occured to me that we could be using said utility (which is essentially what these morph dials are) to be a conduit for folk to use the G3 poses on G8. D'oh!!

So thaaaaaat's why no PA released this. It got pitched as a top secret content making tool first. I've been wondering for a long time. laugh

(I bet the PA tool doesn't acount for rotation in bent leg poses, though.)

FeralFey said:

The PAs were given at one point when G8 first came out a utility to convert G8 to the G3 "t" pose to help with content creation, and I'm really surprised it never occured to me that we could be using said utility (which is essentially what these morph dials are) to be a conduit for folk to use the G3 poses on G8. D'oh!!

So thaaaaaat's why no PA released this. It got pitched as a top secret content making tool first. I've been wondering for a long time. laugh

(I bet the PA tool doesn't acount for rotation in bent leg poses, though.)

You know, I haven't really looked to see if the PA tool does or not. I really didn't have much use for it because I haven't made a lot of outfits and it was being pitched to the clothing makers in our midst. Had I known (or even thought to think very hard on this) that it could also be applied for pose making, I'd be able to speak to this for certain.

Full snaps to you for making this available, agent unawares. You can color me jealous that you thought to do this. Brilliant on your part, for sure!!

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    barbult said:

Is this still available for download? I followed your link but found no download button.

Yes, they're still available for downloading. Look to your right on the screen, under the "Add to Favorites" button. The download button isn't under the artwork, like I would expect. I was confused at first as well. While I have Deviant Art account, I keep forgetting where they hide the download button every time I go over there. Lol. 

edited February 2018
    barbult said:

Is this still available for download? I followed your link but found no download button.

Deleted - duplicate pose. Why does Chrome do that?

edited February 2018
    barbult said:

Here's an illustration of the male version download button.

• zemekiszemekis Posts: 2
    edited February 2018

Okay, n00b quesiton here: How do I get the poser converter scripts to work?

I have unzipped both (male/female) scripts and copied the data folder into every data folder of DAZ I could get my hands on:

• My Daz Connect Library
    • My Library
    • My DAZ 3D Library

I fire up Daz Studio, include a G8 figure, go to the pose section and find...nothing under the G8 figure's pose controls. Just Head, Arms, Feet, etc. but no "G3M Pose". Did I miss something?

EDIT: It's under the Parameters tab, not the Pose tab. D'Oh!

Post edited by zemekis on

Glad you found it zemekis. Yeah, it's under the parameters tab, and not the pose tab, like you'd first think. There IS a way to port it over to the pose tab, but that entails some back end fiddling. 

• TsubaTsuba Posts: 78
    edited January 2019
    zemekis said:

Okay, n00b quesiton here: How do I get the poser converter scripts to work?

I have unzipped both (male/female) scripts and copied the data folder into every data folder of DAZ I could get my hands on:

• My Daz Connect Library
    • My Library
    • My DAZ 3D Library

I fire up Daz Studio, include a G8 figure, go to the pose section and find...nothing under the G8 figure's pose controls. Just Head, Arms, Feet, etc. but no "G3M Pose". Did I miss something?

EDIT: It's under the Parameters tab, not the Pose tab. D'Oh!

I put it in those 3 directories as well, and I still can't find it. Nothing new under parameters tabs. 

Could someone give me the exact path please ?

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Those little arrows to the left are so you can expand those selections. Click the arrow on the Pose Controls section and you will see the GF3 one

posecontrol.jpg
    554 x 704 - 184K
  • TsubaTsuba Posts: 78

That did it, thanx !

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

I spend a ton of time converting poses. No pose conversion is perfect, but it is  most definitly worth it to do it. I particularly like couples poses, and poes which are more involved than just Vicky standing there with her butt out. I go as far back as M4/v4 as well. Why limit yourself.

So any pose conversion will require minor adjustments.

As far as which feralfey poses I would like converted? ALL of coursewink. But.... Of course I did convert FeralFey poses myself... Still no harm in redoing them. =-)

• I spend a ton of time converting poses. No pose conversion is perfect, but it is  most definitly worth it to do it. I particularly like couples poses, and poes which are more involved than just Vicky standing there with her butt out. I go as far back as M4/v4 as well. Why limit yourself.

So any pose conversion will require minor adjustments.

As far as which feralfey poses I would like converted? ALL of coursewink. But.... Of course I did convert FeralFey poses myself... Still no harm in redoing them. =-)

I bought the pose convertor and i can assure you, it won't quite work. G3 to G8... 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

I convert them all the time. Wonder why you're having trouble. G3 to G8, is a fairly smooth conversion using this: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-to-genesis-8-pose-converter and I don't have any issues whatzoever. 

I convert them all the time. Wonder why you're having trouble. G3 to G8, is a fairly smooth conversion using this: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-to-genesis-8-pose-converter and I don't have any issues whatzoever. 

I remember that converter didn't work well for me either. I returned it. It worked OK on some poses. On others, especially with extreme bends, it was terribly off. I remember that "i13vp stretch 01.duf" in i13  75 Pose Variety Pack for the Genesis 3 Female(s) was one that it failed badly on.

• theforceunleashed3theforceunleashed3 Posts: 127
    edited January 2019

https://www.daz3d.com/psi-barracks-poses

https://www.daz3d.com/psi-medbay-poses

They simply don't work. Even if i put them either anywhere or on place... I didn't returned the product as i may have use of it in future.

Post edited by theforceunleashed3 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

They simply don't work. Even if i put them either anywhere or on place... I didn't returned the product as i may have use of it in future.

If you use this free pose converter https://www.deviantart.com/agentunawares/art/G3F-to-G8F-World-s-Greatest-Pose-Converter-709591348 then the G3 poses in those packs work fine on G8, just tried it.

If you use this free pose converter https://www.deviantart.com/agentunawares/art/G3F-to-G8F-World-s-Greatest-Pose-Converter-709591348 then the G3 poses in those packs work fine on G8, just tried it.

Yes, that is what I always use. It is brilliant. You don't have to convert and save a second copy of poses. It does a better job of conversion than the pricey tools, to, in my opinion.