How do YOU organize your content?

2»

Comments

• Okay, so when they were speaking of a content folder, they simply meant the My DAZ 3D Library folder. Okay. But what about those dufs in the runtime? Are you saying that that should only be the case with very old content? I read somewhere that DAZ can't even see the dufs if they are in that folder and those are DAZ only files so they aren't there for Poser to use. Should I ignore those dufs? 

• I'm not kidding, there's like over 3,000 dufs under Runtime just with DIM installing all of my DAZ content.

Anything that is in 'Runtime'  is Poser content.   The reason for the DUF files in there as well, is so that you don't have to load the item from Poser Formats and then go to DAZ Studio Formats to load the DS optimised texture files for the loaded item.   If there is a (for example) Poser PP2 (prop) file in Runtime, and if there is a DS optimised material for it, the icon in the Content Library pane will show a symbol at the top left of the icon telling you that it will ignore the Poser material and load the DS one instead.    This only works if the DUF file, the PNG and the PP2 all have EXACTLY the same name.   Obviously when using that Runtime with Poser, the user is not aware of any DS materials being there.

• Okay, thanks to you both for the clarification on that. So the DUF files in Runtime are not a problem since they were placed there by DIM, we can assume that they are where they are supposed to be for the reasons you stated. As for the moving of the folders to better organize what is in there, am I correct in thinking that I can move anything that is not in Runtime or Data and it should be alright? I'd like to do what others have suggested and have a nice simple top tier with a breakdown by character, prop, etc. that makes sense, but I'm not sure the best way to proceed. Can someone refer me to a good current tutorial for this? When I use Google, seems like the top responses I get are outdated. Maybe I'm not using the right terms. I know I'm not the only person having this issue. I read that we can move just about anything that is not under Data, except for Runtime, and it shouldn't make any difference to DAZ. Is that still true? Guess maybe I need to understand how to categorize. 

• This all started when I downloaded a bunch of freebies from various places and discovered that things ended up anywhere and everywhere. I had a mess on my hands and just decided to start from scratch and make things organized and then be a bit more cautious on installing new files.

• Then I see stuff about a content folder, but I don't see a content folder in my file folder structure on the hard drive.

DAZ confused a lot of people when they changed the name of the content location. Then they changed the name again and moved it. "The Content folder" isn't "the folder named Content" (it hasn't been called that since before D|S3), it's "the folder containing your (small-c) content files". The actual folder name is whatever's defined in the Content Directory Management settings.

• Thank you, Kitty. Okay, I get it now. I want to try to make my files neater and easier to manage, but it's hard. Once your database gets beyond a certain size, especially if you are adding freebies from around the web, it starts getting tricky to manage and find everything you have. The newer stuff with the smart tab is nice, but obviously a lot of stuff doesn't show up there. Then I have a bunch of poser content that I'd like to try to use with DAZ, but that's another isue entirely.