Leif, not Lief...

2»

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,116
    Victor_B said:

According to Google Translate

google is hardly the authority on anything.

Can I ask google who the best search engine is?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    Victor_B said:

According to Google Translate

google is hardly the authority on anything.

Can I ask google who the best search engine is?

Sure, maybe it'll be debunked by Snopes.com. laugh

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

On the Discworld there's a tribe of natives, who's tradition calls for naming a newborn after the first thing or action the father sees when he looks out of the tent right after his child's birth.
    Once a pair of twin boys was born, and the younger one was given the name "Two Men Buckets" (the short form for "Two men with buckets full of water").
    And if you now think, that the elder one was given the name "Two Dogs Fighting"... well... he'd probably would have given his right arm, to be named "Two Dogs FIGHTING"

devil

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

IIRC One Man Bucket's full name was "One Man Throwing A Bucket Of Water Over Two Dogs".  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

I recall a different version of that anecdote told by Graham Kennedy on Melbourne tonight when I was a kid that cannot be repealed on this forum.

th3Digit said:

I recall a different version of that anecdote told by Graham Kennedy on Melbourne tonight when I was a kid that cannot be repealed on this forum.

Repealed? Hmmm 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

repeated blush typo

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Long Island is pronounced longuyland  one word

long island expressway is called the words longest parking lot.
    guess that translates to carpark  lolsmiley

IIRC One Man Bucket's full name was "One Man Throwing A Bucket Of Water Over Two Dogs".  

Had to change the story a bit due to not wanting to make any copyright infringements cheeky

• SaldazSaldaz Posts: 168

He was Icelandic so his name was Leifur Eiríksson

• SaldazSaldaz Posts: 168
    edited June 2018

Well if that is the meaning of Leif than I doubt that that was really his given name. It sounds like a generic adjective a saga writer would use decades after the fact.

The old nordics were great fans of names having a meaning and especially names showing a person's heritage. So Leif Eric(k)sson would probably quite fitting for "Eric(k)'s son 

Leifr is shorthand for Leifur because they where writing on skin and often skipped letters.

Leifur is still used today and is also used as last part in other names: 

• Arnleifur
    • Bjarnleifur
    • Brynleifur
    • Eyleifur
    • Friðleifur
    • Geirleifur
    • Guðleifur
    • Gunnleifur
    • Herleifur
    • Hjörleifur
    • Hrolleifur
    • Ingileifur
    • Ísleifur
    • Kristleifur
    • Oddleifur
    • Sigurleifur
    • Þjóðleifur
    • Þorleifur
    • Þórleifur
    Post edited by Saldaz on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Mistara said:

The A34 highway that runs past the edge of town here is known as Car Park 34

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2018
    Mistara said:

When We still lived down in Richmond (Surrey) there was a circular car  Park, it was called the M25

Post edited by Chohole on
    Chohole said:
    Mistara said:

When We still lived down in Richmond (Surrey) there was a circular car  Park, it was called the M25

I used to live up in Richmond.  Wait?  Are we talking about the same Richmond?

No    There are two Richmonds in the UK and at least one in the US of A,    A lot of American towns and Cities are named after places in the UK, heck you even have a New England.

Chohole said:

No    There are two Richmonds in the UK and at least one in the US of A,    A lot of American towns and Cities are named after places in the UK, heck you even have a New England.

There's also quite a few towns with german names in the USofA.... and Canada has a region called New Brunswick (Brunswick = Braunschweig, where I was born...)

Chohole said:

There's also quite a few towns with german names in the USofA.... and Canada has a region called New Brunswick (Brunswick = Braunschweig, where I was born...)

Aye, and Canada has Nova Scotia (New Scotland)

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

This makes me so crazy. Most Americans pronounce Madeline as Mad-eh-lyn - they read the book Madeline with this pronunciation - It's a rhyming book!!!     "They left the house at half past nine   In two straight lines in rain or shine-   The smallest one was Madeline.”  the book is supposed to rhyme!!! You can't just throw Mad-eh-lyn in there and have it sound like it's supposed to!  I just don't get it. lol 

I actually don't care if people want to miss pronounce the name, but I had a doctor ask my daughter the other day if her mother knew how to spell. Her answer was, "Do you know how to read?" lol 

My daughter's name is Madeleine, she goes by Mad-eh-lyn unless in French class then she goes by Made-eh-lean  which is the correct pronunciation but Mad-eh-lyn is just easier - most the time. lol 

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 658
    Chohole said:
    th3Digit said:

I am sure the original Leif did not use Roman letters and our spelling either if he even wrote his name,

names as far as I know can be spelt many ways, Leigh, Lee, Neal, Neil, Ann, Anne, rules were relatively recenty invented by educators in snotty private schools.

Given Name LEIF
    From the Old Norse name Leifr meaning "descendant, heir". Leif Eriksson was a Norse explorer who reached North America in the early 11th century. He was the son of Erik the Red.
    Given Name Neil
    From the Gaelic name Niall, which is of disputed origin, possibly meaning "champion" or "cloud". This was the name of a semi-legendary 4th-century Irish king, Niall of the Nine Hostages.
    Given Name LEIGH
    From a surname which was a variant of LEE.
    Given Name LEE
    From a surname which was derived from Old English leah meaning "clearing".  FEMININE FORM: Leigh
    Given Name ANN
    English form of ANNE  In the English-speaking world, both this spelling and Anne have been used since the Middle Ages, though Ann became much more popular during the 19th century.
    Given Name ANNE
    French form of ANNA. In the 13th-century it was imported to England, where it was also commonly spelled Ann.

No wonder he changed his name to Hiccup once he landed on Berk.cheeky