Octane 4 Carrara and OpenVDB

OK I figured out that if you first save a .blend file from Blender you can then bake a smoke cache as VDB which you can import as an animation series into Carrara with the Octane 3 plugin using a fire primitive under effects

started a new thread as no real topic devoted to it and a few here use Octane render

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

'mazing!!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

Maybe there will be more Carrara Octane users, when Octane 4 is released and the new free tier for non-commercial users up to 2 GPUs.
    Although the Carrara plugin may not be in the free tier, maybe it will show up in the rental tier for 20$/month...

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=66013

Do you have a fire example to show?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Houdini apprentice "free" (non commercial) can also export VDB files and pretty much anything can be made into a VDB ,.. it also has OBJ export, so,. OBJ sequences could be brought into Carrara using the DCG Obj importer plugin.

it also has some superb "shelf tools" to easily create smoke/fire etc (click to apply to your model)

The Fire or Fog primitives in Carrara are what Octane4C uses to hold the VDB Volume,. but the size and shape of the volume are not dependent on, or restricted to the size/shape of the fog/fire.

Sighman has included options to adjust the VDB import settings and the VDB sequence file list, you can set it to fit to, or actual size. (should also apply to blender VDBs)

the shaders for VDB files use the settings from the file (no colours or textures included) just settings like Fuel, Temperature, etc,

you can colour the volume using the "Octane Medium" shader,. and setting the Absorbtion / scattering / emission settings, to suit your needs.

(pic of example VDB files,.. done when originally testing the VDB options in the beta)  playing with shader settings.

(pic of VDB's exported from Houdini apprentice, rendered in Carrara)

Fire_FX_.jpg
    959 x 636 - 254K
    crater-fly.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 649K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

yes Andy, knew from you about Houdini but also chuffed I can use Blender, early days, will tackle the shading next, Blender has options including textures I have not tried that may or may not export.

This thread is indeed to show all the possibilities and showing the Houdini workflow is more than welcomed heart

I intend posting more details on how to use Blender as I learn them.