Creation Machine in Carrara 8.1

HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63
edited July 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Does Creation Machine work in Carrara 8.1? How do I get the parts to glow? (I hope that isn’t a basic function I am just oblivious to!)

Does this function the same way the LampsON and LampsOFF work in Kelly Lodge, which I am also clueless about? There are two of each lamps/candles in Kelly Lodge, one ON (lit) and the other OFF (unlit) which I thought just get dragged into the scene from the browser and work but they are both off when I do that. How is this supposed to work?

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by HeavyD on

Comments

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited December 1969

HeavyD said:
    Does Creation Machine work in Carrara 8.1? How do I get the parts to glow? (I hope that isn’t a basic function I am just oblivious to!)

Thanks in advance.

I learned about making things glow from these two video tutorials by cripeman:

Creating lights From Textures Using Anything Glows
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAn9FXFw7k

Neon Using Anything Glows
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL0om50VqJA

• HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I had seen Cripeman's lantern tutorial a while back and wanted to see it again but couldn't remember who did it so I couldn't find it.

I have never seen his Neon tutorial and found it very informative.

Regarding Creation Machine, though: A major component of the scene is the glowing or lit planets and such. I would think that effect would be designed into the model and not require extra work, no?

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2013

HeavyD said:

Regarding Creation Machine, though: A major component of the scene is the glowing or lit planets and such. I would think that effect would be designed into the model and not require extra work, no?

If the PA has made Carrara materials for it, then yes. If not, then you have to make it work in Carrara. Or close to the effect you would see in DAZ Studio, or Poser.

Oh, I see you mean the planets in the creation machine. You will have to study the model and the materials and make it work in Carrara. I see it is for DAZ Studio and Poser.

Just in case I will leave this here, I thought you were talking about planets in space:

For planets you can follow this tutorial by Kixum:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?tutorial_id=2024

Source files for the tutorial, but without the textures:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=60345

Just use what you learn from that tutorial.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Why anything glows? As it can be a PITA to use and depending on the mesh can give you really bad shadows. Simple enough to use the glow channel in the textures.

Here is a quicky using the glow channel in the shader, the aura after effect; set very low, and rendering with full ambient.

glow.jpg
    640 x 480 - 9K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

HeavyD said:

Does this function the same way the LampsON and LampsOFF work in Kelly Lodge, which I am also clueless about? There are two of each lamps/candles in Kelly Lodge, one ON (lit) and the other OFF (unlit) which I thought just get dragged into the scene from the browser and work but they are both off when I do that. How is this supposed to work?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a link to the product so that we can see some of the promo images? It may help us to come up with some specific ideas on how to get the effect you want.

The thing to remember is that Carrara, Poser, D/S, Lightwave, Blender, etc. etc. etc. all use different shading engines. When you bring in a model or scene with shaders designed for Poser, Carrara translates that information. Since Poser has functions that are a bit different than Carraras' and Carrara has functions that are different than Poser, some of it gets lost in the translation. The highlight and shininess are a good example areas that will need adjustment. The same with glow effects and sometimes alphas.

edited December 1969

A great example of what I was talking about in my previous post is the Vanguard space ship sold here at DAZ. When loaded directly into Carrara, none of the monitors appeared lit. The image maps were there in the color channel of the shader, but no glow. I copied the image maps for the monitors from the color channel and pasted them into the glow channel.

Monitors_lit.png
    640 x 480 - 309K
    Monitors_un-lit.png
    640 x 480 - 301K
    Picture_3.png
    650 x 459 - 104K
    Picture_2.png
    646 x 457 - 104K
    Picture_1.png
    993 x 759 - 254K
  • scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

evilproducer, thanks for the info. very useful.

edited December 1969

Glad I could help!

I used a simple method to fix the issue, but depending on the effect the scene uses, there may be alpha maps (trans maps) and such that didn't load as well, so I would recommend looking in the textures folder to see if any other maps didn't load.