off topic thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Dartanbeck said:

Mystiarra said:

i like head and hand cameras. enlightened

isusally do the 0 zoom with the director ca, but gets unweildly with multiple chars.

experimental question

can the glow channel make something into a surface light emitter?

Yes. You need to turn on Indirect Lighting in the render room. In the shader, multply what you would normally put in the glow channel by Value 1-1000 and set the value to anything over 100 to get it to cast light.

thank you!!  cant wait to try it.  have some nightshift sets with glowy monitors to try it on. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328

I've been building my Nightshift 3D collection. There alwasy seems to be more though! :)

Yep. That's what I'm talking about. They'd be a great example for that. 

For what it's worth, I still find it easier and much faster to render by just adding a bit of Aura so they 'appear' to glow, then use simple lighting tricks to let them work in the scene. Like, only have them s=cast onto the character if they get close enough, and do so with a small spot light.

Still, give it a try!

• anything glows is faster

glass and metal should alwayyys be seperate shader domains. And, ideally, wood too

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited February 2021

I survived the Texas 2021 winter wreckage.  I am in Corpus Christi for a while, and fortunately had electricity the whole way through, although there was no water one day.  High temperatures are going back up to the high 70s F (which is about 24 C), so I'm hoping the worst is over.  Family in Dallas had it pretty bad, but things seem to be getting better there as well.

Hope Steve K and the other Texans are doing OK.

Here is a snapshot of the produce section here in Corpus Christi yesterday.  The cubbard was bare.  I am told that with the weather improving supplies are being replenished quickly here.  Corpus Christi is on the coast so is usually very warm.  It is the 8th windiest city in the US so relies more on wind power than people might think a Texas city would, especially a city with off shore oil rigs.  Unfortunately, the wind turbines are not made to withstand the freeze here so stopped when the freeze hit.

Petty inconvenience for me compared to the tragedies some other Texans have had to face.  Wishing everyone well.

no produce.jpg
    1138 x 850 - 203K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Hope Steve K and the other Texans are doing OK.

Not too bad, thanks.  Our suburb of Houston lost power for a few days, the temperature got down to about 20F, about 45F in the house.  So we wore lots of layers and cooked soup and similar on a propane store from our hurricane supplies.  Read books (remember books?  "Antkind" by Charlie Kaufman, funny and weird ... ), and games on tablets recharged in the cars.  Still had hot water, so a few hot baths.  When the power came back, the phone went out so a couple more days with no Internet with our DSL.  Now the city has us boiling water for consumption because they had to shut down the treatment plant for repairs.  But we had filled up a bunch of pots earlier, so no real problem.  We re-piped the house some years back, PEX plastic pipes, no sign of breaks.  The big freezer is pretty full, but I got to HEB (grocery) early this morning, lots of empty shelves but I got what we needed.  About 55F this afternoon outside and sunny, so pretty much back to normal.

Getting a lot of laughs fom the politicians explaining how this was not their fault, it was those other guys ... laugh

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,374

Hope those shelves refill quickly and everyone thaws out okay !!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited February 2021

DAZ studio is infuriating me, I wish Carrara could support the long surface and material names Unreal exports have instead of cutting them off so they cannot save

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

remember when file names were limited to 8 characters?

dating myself lol.  old ccmail.  email names had a 8 char cap.  my sur name is 10 chars

edited February 2021

yeah Carrara cuts off the end of the sentence Unreal Materials use that all start with the name of the project usually 3 words or more so every material and surface after saving has the same name

it will load it all from the obj import but nothing to differentiate them after saving

Bunyip02 said:

Hope those shelves refill quickly and everyone thaws out okay !!!

Thanks, HEB is a pretty well managed grocery chain (Texas & Mexico only I think), they've done well in past problems like hurricanes.   Since the pandemic started, they've been opening at 6AM ... surprise

The city gave the all clear for the water, just had to flush all our faucets & ice maker.  Still some empty shelves at the grocery, but getting there.  70F today, big soccer games in the pitches outside our back gate, they were sweating ... next up, hurricane season, gotta restock the propane ...

i still dont understand how to make the shiny car paint jobs.  or splines. or sphere to dust.

• Mystiarra said:

i still dont understand how to make the shiny car paint jobs.  or splines. or sphere to dust.

noise or spots in highlight? 

Apple - Mac Pro Desktop - 16-core - Intel Xeon W - 192GB Memory - 2TB SSD - Silver
    $23,199.99
    Free security softwareA $29.99 value
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-mac-pro-desktop-16-core-intel-xeon-w-192gb-memory-2tb-ssd-silver/6400295.p?skuId=6400295

cheeky

• Steve K said:

Apple - Mac Pro Desktop - 16-core - Intel Xeon W - 192GB Memory - 2TB SSD - Silver
    $23,199.99
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-mac-pro-desktop-16-core-intel-xeon-w-192gb-memory-2tb-ssd-silver/6400295.p?skuId=6400295

cheeky

and won't run Carrara properlydevil 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Steve K said:

$23,199.99

cheeky

and won't run Carrara properlydevil 

Yeah, you have to pay extra for that ... wink

• Shogun test

lots or reparenting needed as well as blended weight and some Hotpoint moving

I used tracking for all the flaps and bits but my animation choice slices him with his weapon

amazon had a 100 dollar coupie for poser pro 11.

i'm kinda excited to play with poser again.  last time i tried walk designer, they were walking with a limp.  not really hopeful it got better.

Mystiarra said:

amazon had a 100 dollar coupie for poser pro 11.

i'm kinda excited to play with poser again.  last time i tried walk designer, they were walking with a limp.  not really hopeful it got better.

I upgraded Poser about a year or two ago.  I haven't done anything with it, although I visited a webinar by the developers on their upcoming plans.  Pretty ambitious - but I never followed up to find out what they did.

edited February 2021

crying meh

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 165K

Aaargh!

Sorry, Wendy.  That really sucks.

• Diomede said:

Aaargh!

Sorry, Wendy.  That really sucks.

it was a big one, 8K x 4K with indirect lighting to use the glow

was surprisingly fast relatively speaking but to no avail

only wanted an IBL so now using DAZ studio iray

could have used my Win10 and Octane of course

I still will try to do a Carrara native render afterwards though with a sky sphere and painfully added anything glow lights

ever try replicated anything glows lights?
    playing with lighting is always a ton of fun.
    does a reflection of a light emit light?

i just realized the new smoking room has no poser files.

wonder if poser has the uwrap issue with ds content.

• Mystiarra said:

ever try replicated anything glows lights?
    playing with lighting is always a ton of fun.
    does a reflection of a light emit light?

i just realized the new smoking room has no poser files.

wonder if poser has the uwrap issue with ds content.

it's temperamental

sometimes they work, other times not

I guess it depends if Carrara sees them as lights or not 

• this is interesting

lorenzo lamas in renegade. devilheart

long haired hottie on a motorsikle

2 years to retirement.

the residency permits still 10,000?  thaz aussie dollars?

heard the bird life cusses.  laugh

do coocooburras talk?

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,374

Kookaburras don't talk, but they do laugh !!!!

laughter the best medicine.

i must be outta my mind messing with poser again.

i just wanted the walk designer.

This discussion has been closed.