Blood drinker

It's odd that with as many "covered in blood" products out there, there isn't one for Vampires depicting a bloody set of lips and lower chin.

Working on a Vampirella piece and it escapes me why we haven't seen that.

Or just a tasteful drop on blood from the corner of the lips.

Wierd.

Halloween is coming, guys. :)

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,116

Sounds like a cool idea!

• 100% with you on this one, RKane_1!

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

It would be best as  LIE layer or something that can be added to any figure chosen.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    edited October 2018

Not difficult to do with a geometry shell, an opacity mask, and the blood shader of your choice.

Your "tasteful drop of blood" could just be a sphere primitive.

Post edited by chris-2599934 on

Not difficult to do with a geometry shell, an opacity mask, and the blood shader of your choice.

Your "tasteful drop of blood" could just be a sphere primitive.

Do you have a tutorial available for that? I would appreciate it. You could also make a little money if you can do a premade set of this as I wouild buy it. :) Thanks!

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    edited October 2018

Here's something I put together quickly...

You will need a 2D graphics program that works in layers - GIMP will do. Some drip effect brushes make life easier but are not essential. You might not need to follow all these steps, but this is how I do it

1. Fire up DAZ and your 2D program. Load the figure you want to use into Daz and go to the surface tab.
    2. Select the face surface, find the base color (actually any of the maps would do), and click the down arrow over the image to open the file selector. Find the face map in the file directory and drag it onto your graphics program - I find this to be the quickest and easiest way to get a particular map into my graphics program. If it doesn't work for your setup, try another.
    3. Switch to the graphics program. We're not actually going to change the face map that we've got, just use it as a guide. Create a new layer over the face image and fill it with solid black. Set the layer's opacity to 25% or so so you can see the face through it.
    4. Create another layer over the black one, and set your brush to be white in colour. If you have some drip effect brushes, now's the time to use them. I used one from Ron's Blood II. Paint the blood dripping down over the lower lip (or wherever you want it).
    5. Once you're happy with your handiwork, turn the black layer to 100% opacity and save your image. Be sure to "Save As" a new image, instead of overwriting the face image you started with!
    6. Return to Daz, but leave the graphics program open in case you need to tweak the image. Select the figure and click Create > New Geometry Shell... in the menu. It creates a pale white shell all over the surface of the figure.
    7. Select the shell, and go to the surfaces tab. You'll see that the shell has the same surfaces as the underlying figure. Select the surfaces you aren't interested in - everything but the face and lips in this case - and set their cutout opacity to 0%. Select the face and lips and apply a blood shader - I used one from Iray Liquid Shaders. The figure now has a complete mask of blood!
    8. Go to the Cutout Opacity channel and apply the map image created in step 5. The blood effect should now be limited to the drips you painted. You might go into some to-and-fro between Daz and your graphics program at this point as you fine-tune the mask to your satisfaction.
    9. If you're going to work close-up to the model, you may need to select the shell, go to the Parameters tab, and adjust its Offset Distance down from the default 0.1 cm value. I used 0.05 in my example.
    10. For more realism, you coud try making a normal or displacement map to give the drips some depth. I've not tried that in my example.

I attach the mask I created at step 5, feel free to use or abuse it however you like. It should work for any character which uses the G8F UV.

vamp.png
    400 x 600 - 263K
    lipdrip_op.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 490K
    Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

Gaussian blur on the mask should probably create an appropriate Bump map. You could then easily convert it to a Normal map (in Photoshop, at least).

I don't recommend Displacement in Iray at small values.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,698
    edited October 2018

I am in the middle of a render that needed dripping blood on a face. I use ron's blood in either LIE or in postwork: https://www.daz3d.com/rons-blood

Post edited by Sylvan on
    Oso3D said:

Gaussian blur on the mask should probably create an appropriate Bump map. You could then easily convert it to a Normal map (in Photoshop, at least).

I don't recommend Displacement in Iray at small values.

How do you convert something to a normal map in Photoshop, Oso?

• You can do it online here:

http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

I am being sucked by blood drinkers angry

then I see this thread, mine are not sexy or scary vamps though 

sadMidges

This info is priceless! Thanks, guys.

Does anyone know a good tutorial for LIE? Or is that technology outdated?

• You can also download a free photoshop plugin to make normal maps here: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

There are probably tutorials on LIE, or Layered Image Editor, though it's not all that complicated - it lets you load and combine multiple images into a single map. If you can use layers in a graphics program you won't find the LIE difficult to use. I don't use it much as it's quite laggy on my PC, YMMV.

I think the geometry shell is a superior solution in this case though. If you LIE the blood drips onto her face, what you have is a blood drip face paint or tattoo - that bit of the skin might be blood red, but it has the glossiness and SSS and whatever else of normal skin (unless you go to the trouble of creating special map images for all the other channels). With geometry shells, you apply a completely different surface shader to the blood than you do to the underlying skin. It makes it so much easier to manipulate.

Is there a way to package up a Geoshell so that when clicked, it generates the shell, applies settings and texture to it WITHOUT violating acceptable protocol for using a DAZ mesh for a product?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

In Photoshop, in the filter list there's 3D and two options: make Bump map, make Normal map.

I have the subscription version, I don't know which other versions the filter is available in. There's the online version chris mentioned, though that requires a GPU, I believe (not sure that matters).

I THINK FilterForge may have a Bump -> Normal map thing, too.

Oso3D said:

In Photoshop, in the filter list there's 3D and two options: make Bump map, make Normal map.

I have the subscription version, I don't know which other versions the filter is available in. There's the online version chris mentioned, though that requires a GPU, I believe (not sure that matters).

I THINK FilterForge may have a Bump -> Normal map thing, too.

Thanks, Oso! :)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

There's the nvidia one, which I never got working in cc2018, but works great in cs6; don't like the built in normal map with cc2018, probably because I'm used to the cs6 version and haven't spent the time on the built in version... Or maybe not.