Lo Res people instead of billboards?

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602
edited December 2018 in Product Suggestions

I know we have Loretta and Lorenzo but I’m curious about the feasibility of making just lorezpeople fully clothed in specific poses that are props to import and use as background figures. The billboards are nice but don’t respond well to lighting and can look distorted perspective wise, not to mention they are gigs and gigs of files because they must be rendered from different angles,

they don’t need to be poseable. They could be in everyday poses, walking around. Etc. The user can rotate them and place them wherever they want them in the scene and resize them too using Daz controls.

Post edited by Serene Night on

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,116

Sounds like a cool idea, I think.

• The question is, though, how much (if at all) does the fact that a particular figure is rigged affect its rendering time. My guess is that it wouldn't make a lot of difference - the renderer still has to deal with the same number of polys and the same weight of image maps. The fact that a particular figure can or can't be posed won't be all that relevant.

It's true that manipulating a scene that has a lot of instances - which essentially are the can't-pose-but-can-position-and-scale products that you're asking for - is much quicker than a scene full of identical rigged figures, but I think that's because the instances can just say "render us like that other object over there," it's not because they're not rigged.

Would love to see an updated version of Lorenzo & Loretta though.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

It's very easy to make your own with decimator and the texture atlas. say you have a GM8 with a suit on. The decimator will list all the mesh items in the scene and what their resoution is and you can change each of them or all together. When you are happy with the resolution and how it all looks, then pose it and save it out as an .OBJ with textures. Delete and then import and open up the texture atlas. There you can combine all the textures on to a single sheet of any size and then save it out as a static people prop for background purposes.

If you still want the figure to be posable, then you will have to run the texture atlas or a texture resizing script on the clothing, but the figure can still be posed after you decimate it.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 2018

Problem with low res models is that they show that low resolution when rendered in a PBR like Iray.

The mesh is not the memory hog, the textures are.  Depending on how much work you want to do, you can get away with using any Genesis figure and their clothes all at base resolution.  And either manually reduce and remove textures where they are not needed or use one of the options available in the store to do it for you.

I have done 15 Genesis 3 figures in one scene and 18 G3F figures in another, and in each case, did it with only 2GB of vram total between geometry and textures.  Its time consuming to set up but everyone could be tweaked as I needed if they didn't fit the original idea/plan i had for them in the scene.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

Interesting! Thanks for the tips. I do agree with Matty that it is the textures that make my machine run slow.