Spirit of Punk

pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Very nice.

Where can we find carriages worthy of being pulled by this beauty?

Comments

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

.... well, that's not easy.
    I thought I had found one, but in the end I don't like it. (first pic).
    Than I thought: it doest have to be a passenger carriage, it can also be a freight train carrying some sort of steampunk device.
    Still not satisfied with the result

Flatcar.jpg
    880 x 500 - 89K
    SpiritPunk_Railcar.jpg
    980 x 550 - 89K
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited October 2013

Are these cars from Parkside? I was thinking of those myself. Maybe if you brassed them up?

Or maybe just use the trucks & add bodies fro Davo'e Ground Construction set. Again with added brass

Post edited by pwiecek on
    edited December 1969

No, they are not from parkside. I do have the passenger car from Parkside, but I'm looking for something that anyone could use.
    The problem is the train is so huge.
    I found something else, but this one is too long.
    Comes with interior; I've put Genesis on a seat to get it in the right proportion, there's even a heater (steam !) for colder weather/climates.
    But I don't know: it still looks odd.

SpiritOfPunk02.jpg
    700 x 393 - 54K
    edited October 2013

I like the look of that so the following are just comments, not complains.

The stuff on the right end makes it look like a stand alone vehicle. Rocket powered street car?

Did you mean the Spirit of Punk is so tall it dwarfs this one?

One thing I would try is to cut the right hand 1/3 (including the large wheel) and the roof off and combine 4 of them into a double decker.

Once again, more brass (and a door) would help

Is this or the very top one available somewhere?

SpiritOfPunk02a.jpg
    318 x 337 - 97K
    edited December 1969

I agree the boiler/chimney makes it a stand-alone vehicle. (though it is a nice steampunk feature).
    I'll try to remove it. I didn't create this, I am not even a modeller.
    You can find it on Trimble 3d Warehouse: just type landsteamer in the search field, with or without separation.
    The carriage in the first pic is also from Trimble; type steamlev in the search field.

In Blender, I ripped the 'Spirit' to the basic, removed all the clutter, to see if a look-a-like carriage would make sense. ....well, it didn't.

Oh, I now see what you did. Yes a doubledecker makes sense. Now there is not so much difference in size (read: height) in both the steam engine itself and the carriage(s).

edited October 2013

Yeah, I'm not a modeler either. About the most I do is strip some parts off of something else and put them together. Of course I did this one in photoshop.

Unfortunately, I tend not to think of sketchup when looking for models

edited December 1969

This render is not about details, just to see the overall concept, does it make a nice carriage to match the 'Spirit of Punk'.

I will now try to demolish the balcony, like you said earlier, and copy the front to the rear. See how that will turn out.

SpiritPunk_Carriage02.jpg
    900 x 790 - 105K
    edited October 2013

As far as the pictures, I did mine in photoshop so I couldn't get the complete effect I want.

Thanks for the work, this is the best candidate I've seen. I'm not sure if it would be more impressive if the carriages were identical or if a realistic look with a mix of carriages would be better.

I'll probably break this into a lot of little construction pieces that can be assembled into different configurations.

Completely closed
    Half closed with observation deck on 1 or both levels
    Closed lower with full obs deck on upper
    Maybe eliminate the windows and create a cargo car.

I take it the door is just a fake?

If you go back to the warehouse, there is a spiral stair in one of the two packages that contain this model.

Taking another tack, this would make a good interior for a car.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/fantasy-voyage/75707

edited December 1969

It was fun to rebuild the carriage and gradually learn a bit of modelling. But at the end I completely messed up.
    There are holes in the cabin, the roof is not rainproof.

- yes, the door is fake.
    - I looked for some spiral staircases.
    - I use SketchUp-Pro evaluation Edition. Gives me a few hours to convert models; not for modelling, just converting to .obj.
    - will remove the windows, see how that will look.
    - I've seen the prop in the Rendo store. Nice.
    - I have even tried a Fifties Airstream caravan, just to see how it would look behind the 'Spirit'.(see pic)

SpiritPunk_Carriage03.jpg
    720 x 660 - 66K
    SpiritPunk_Carriage04.jpg
    800 x 720 - 90K
    edited December 1969

Because it never really appealed to me, I changed both the front and rear side.

SpiritPunk_Carriage05.jpg
    900 x 750 - 85K
    edited November 2013

Here is a quick and dirty conversion of the Fantasy Voyage I mentioned earlier. I loaded 2 copies and turned selected mat zones invisible.

The top is the exterior. The grey areas on the extreme right & left are where some of the interior details are hidden. I'll have to re-texture for this.

I also plan to combine it with the bed, trucks & roof of one of the railcars I mentioned earlier.

The bottom is the interior.

Interior.jpg
    600 x 400 - 19K
    Exterior.jpg
    600 x 400 - 19K
    edited March 2014

This set looks promising

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=badfaerie

LATER:

Well, unfortunately, despite the looks the set doesn't work in poser 9 and doesn't appear to be easily fixable.

But it did give me a few ideas for using davo's GVCS and FVCS along with some kit bashed pieces from the Parkside train cars.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109
    edited December 1969

Hopefully, Ravnheart and the Daz team will see this thread and market some matching cars for this excellent prop. Passenger cars, etc. A Tesla Cannon car would be nice too (always dream big) with transformers, huge vacuum tubes, etc.

edited December 1969

Setting aside all the re-purposing of non-train stuff, the Circus Del Monte over @Renderosity is the most interesting thing I've seen.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,280

Cybertenko's store over on Rendo might be a reasonable place to check out. He has a lot of Steampunk stuff. As does Jonte, although I don't recall any vehicles. Winnston1984 has a few vehicles, but mostly things like airships, boats or modern trucks and motorcycles.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    pwiecek said:

But it did give me a few ideas for using davo's GVCS and FVCS along with some kit bashed pieces from the Parkside train cars.

I'd be interested to know which GVCS/FVCS items you picked, and/or see your results on that.

sriesch said:
    pwiecek said:

I'd be interested to know which GVCS/FVCS items you picked, and/or see your results on that.

Well, I posted that & then moved on to other things, I think my intention was to use the big square boxes for boxcars and then use some of the other pieces as greebles.