Practical Female Modernish/Future Military/Sci-Fi Armor For G8F

2»

Comments

• Yes, the color zones will be selectable 'face groups' inside daz and named to what each zone is (armor plating, armor details, straps, etc.). I don't know if I want to make them material zones though since there will be like 10 of them. I don't know if that would make it harder or easier for the common user to update 10 seperate zones. If I end up using just one zone then more can be added by using the geometery tool. Right click and select a face group, then assign selected geometry to a new material zone.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Yes, the color zones will be selectable 'face groups' inside daz and named to what each zone is (armor plating, armor details, straps, etc.). I don't know if I want to make them material zones though since there will be like 10 of them. I don't know if that would make it harder or easier for the common user to update 10 seperate zones. If I end up using just one zone then more can be added by using the geometery tool. Right click and select a face group, then assign selected geometry to a new material zone.

For me that isn't a problem, but from what I gather on the forums most here don't have a clue how to access or use the geometry editor. Then again, if it comes with awesome textures, most won't have a reason to unless they are like me and like to make things more unique. Other than a little extra work for you, is there a drawback to material zones over polygroups in DS? Either way, I do appreciate you talking the effort.

Now, on to the rest of the suit, LOL Looking at the first image you posted, any chance that belt can have some ammo/utility pouches and/or a tactical hip holster?

• For me that isn't a problem, but from what I gather on the forums most here don't have a clue how to access or use the geometry editor. Then again, if it comes with awesome textures, most won't have a reason to unless they are like me and like to make things more unique. Other than a little extra work for you, is there a drawback to material zones over polygroups in DS? Either way, I do appreciate you talking the effort.

Now, on to the rest of the suit, LOL Looking at the first image you posted, any chance that belt can have some ammo/utility pouches and/or a tactical hip holster?

The material zones are really no extra work for me. It is more less just trying not to make things more complicated than they need to be. If you think them coming with all the material zones already loaded in then I'll I just move forward with that style.

I will be making plenty of harnesses and equipment add-ons but mostly as expansions. I want this to be a stripped down suit, without any extra bulk, to be used as a base for future projects. I plan on building an heavy exo-suit as well for it (or maybe even a few of different sizes), so when this outfit is loaded in, nothing needs to be deleted that would interfere with that exo add-on. I plan on making multiple style helmets as well... like a pilots helmet, and even a special optics helmet that will come with the exo.

I plan on this suit to feature the vest, pants, shoes, sleeves, and gloves. Both for male and female.

Awesome, looking forward to it! yes

• Here`s one of the best practical female sci-fi armor that I`ve seen. Maybe it can serve as a inspiration.

Hey Lucas thanks and that's a great reference! The breast plates on that outfit is definitely in the same idea of what I plan on doing to the male vest for the female version. I will definitely be introducing some expansive content to this new outfit which will include some sexier alternatives.

Anyways, using my new pipeline of making products for Daz, here's the vest as it's near finished. And as requested, in the image after I show off the polygroups that will be 'selection sets' in daz if you wish to do your own editing to the materials. I prefer not to make a bunch of material zones since the whole vest uses only one UV map (keeping things simple for the average user) but you can easily do so to your own just by using the selections sets.

So will the polygroup/subtool information be imported into DS, or will the mesh be seen in DS as one single surface?  Will the user be able to use the surface selector tool in DS and select any of the colors you show in the image and be able to add any material/texture/shader to it? Material zones don't affect the UVMap. The whole mesh can have one UVMap and multiple material zones based on the same UVMap.

It's looking pretty sweet though!

Would be nice but please no pink.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

For me that isn't a problem, but from what I gather on the forums most here don't have a clue how to access or use the geometry editor. Then again, if it comes with awesome textures, most won't have a reason to unless they are like me and like to make things more unique. Other than a little extra work for you, is there a drawback to material zones over polygroups in DS? Either way, I do appreciate you talking the effort.

The material zones are really no extra work for me. It is more less just trying not to make things more complicated than they need to be. If you think them coming with all the material zones already loaded in then I'll I just move forward with that style.

I will be making plenty of harnesses and equipment add-ons but mostly as expansions. I want this to be a stripped down suit, without any extra bulk, to be used as a base for future projects. I plan on building an heavy exo-suit as well for it (or maybe even a few of different sizes), so when this outfit is loaded in, nothing needs to be deleted that would interfere with that exo add-on. I plan on making multiple style helmets as well... like a pilots helmet, and even a special optics helmet that will come with the exo.

I plan on this suit to feature the vest, pants, shoes, sleeves, and gloves. Both for male and female.

Featuring your previous effort in a project of mine, but this sounds perfect for a secondary related character. Especially with pilot helmets. Were you thinking of basing that on something like the Apache helicopter gunship's helmet or the futuristic-looking and enclosed F-35 helmet?

Would the external suit have something like a shoulder lamp, for lighting? Maybe something like a rigged, articulated arm for a weapon mount and motion-sensor, a lot like the 'Aliens' smart-gun concept? And/or 'Predator'-like hands-free shoulder-mounted weapons?

Could be useful to include different weapon types for bolting onto it, such as a near-futuristic direct energy weapon, High-Powered Microwave weapon, flamethrower and grenade launcher. That way, the user could mix-and-match for any potential artistic battlefield-themed situation.

The basic lightweight suit looks impressive and very practical, so far. Refreshing to see an absence of 'here-I-am-come-shoot-at-me' lights all over it! :) Would be fantastic to have an array of visual rank insignia for any texture expansions. Maybe also optional national flags? USA, UK, Israel, France, Germany, Japan, China, Russia, United Nations, etcetera.

The basic lightweight suit looks impressive and very practical, so far. Refreshing to see an absence of 'here-I-am-come-shoot-at-me' lights all over it! :) Would be fantastic to have an array of visual rank insignia for any texture expansions. Maybe also optional national flags? USA, UK, Israel, France, Germany, Japan, China, Russia, United Nations, etcetera.

I do like the flag idea! yes

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

One of the games I find has the best female armor is XCOM2...

It doesn't try to look feminine, it just is let out a bit in the chest to give the girls some room to breath.

The issue I find and the reason I don't like to just conform male armor to the female body is it tends to introduce a whole lot of new and interesting deformation issues, esp in the lower bust area.

•  

The issue I find and the reason I don't like to just conform male armor to the female body is it tends to introduce a whole lot of new and interesting deformation issues, esp in the lower bust area.

This should not be the case though if the armor was rigged specifically to the female and no breast morph applied. If it the item was rigged to the male and then transferred to the female figure then you will definitely get deformation issues like you said. A clothing item, being used for its intended purpose, would never get through PASS with deformation issues.

As for my female vest, I finished it last week but haven't textured it yet, will be sharing it soon once I do. Hoping to get the whole outfit (male & female) into PASS by the end of the week.

This should not be the case though if the armor was rigged specifically to the female and no breast morph applied. If it the item was rigged to the male and then transferred to the female figure then you will definitely get deformation issues like you said. A clothing item, being used for its intended purpose, would never get through PASS with deformation issues.

As for my female vest, I finished it last week but haven't textured it yet, will be sharing it soon once I do. Hoping to get the whole outfit (male & female) into PASS by the end of the week.

Yep. That's why I started this thread. Because of the bother of trying to port male armor over to the female figure due to the lack of practical dedicated female armor.

Honestly, best two armors I've found are the Peacemaker armor for V4 (xurge3d's stull tends to be a general exception), is so unisex that the male armor actually uses the same texture maps, and a truncated version of the Dark Void Explorer Unit Heavy Body Armor. Though the last one I had to maually port from G3 to G8, then remove the side plates and pauldrons due to deformation issues, but the breastplate and back plate look pretty dang nice once you tweak the breasts so they look practically smooshed rather than the classic "breastplate full of breasts"...

I look forward to seeing your new stuff.

• Cichy3D Cichy3D Posts: 132

looks awesome Herschel! I've been contemplating making armor for a while now but the deformation scares me

• Early look at the finished product that is the ATLAS (advanced tactical light armored suit). I will post a product page once it is closer to release. I also plan to do a heavy exo-suit expansive product and more of an assassin style version of this outfit with no armor plating to help meet the needs that the store lacks. Again these new products are a lot more optimized (less render heavy) than the previous tactical assault outfit.

Looks great! Wonder is that armor can stop a .50 BMG round, LOL

Loolong forward to the assassin style version

• Wonder is that armor can stop a .50 BMG round, LOL

Lol, even if it could I imagine what the impact would do internally to someone wouldn't make a difference.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538

Early look at the finished product that is the ATLAS (advanced tactical light armored suit). I will post a product page once it is closer to release. I also plan to do a heavy exo-suit expansive product and more of an assassin style version of this outfit with no armor plating to help meet the needs that the store lacks. Again these new products are a lot more optimized (less render heavy) than the previous tactical assault outfit.

Heavy exo-suit?  Like mech heavy?  I look forward to seeing a preview of that.

• tkdrobert said:

Heavy exo-suit?  Like mech heavy?  I look forward to seeing a preview of that.

Something like this... maybe not quite as heavy, but pretty close.

oh man, you just made tkdrobert's day, he loves them mechs, LOL

Not a fan of mechs, but that does look pretty cool.

Honestly I'm shocked that noone has done something "inspired by" the Power Armor rigs from Fallout 4.

You can have a couple poses where you can have people mounting up, but have the acual wear animation remove their entire body below the neck.

Hell, for compatability's sake you can probably even base it off of the G8 Skeleton, only with the limitation that many of the joints are locked. Wouldn't give perfect pose compatability, but would allow a good start point.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Early look at the finished product that is the ATLAS (advanced tactical light armored suit). I will post a product page once it is closer to release. I also plan to do a heavy exo-suit expansive product and more of an assassin style version of this outfit with no armor plating to help meet the needs that the store lacks. Again these new products are a lot more optimized (less render heavy) than the previous tactical assault outfit.

I like it. I'd add a groin protector as well (at leats on the male version). No one like sgetting shot in the junk.

rrward said:

I like it. I'd add a groin protector as well (at leats on the male version). No one like sgetting shot in the junk.

Women have major arties in the groin too...

• ATLAS SUIT IS OUT!!

...and it's effing GORGEOUS...surprise

https://www.daz3d.com/atlas-armored-suit-for-genesis-8

• Hey, equal opportunity protection - no bikinis! :-D  That does look great!  Nice stitch detailing on the pants (yes, that is what I notice first).

ATLAS SUIT IS OUT!!

...and it's effing GORGEOUS...surprise

https://www.daz3d.com/atlas-armored-suit-for-genesis-8