The Lost World - Anyone managed to load it into Carrara?

Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
edited October 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Got myself http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/the-lost-world

It said, that it would require longer loading times for Poser due the lack of instancing.
Had hoped with Carrara 8.5 it might be OK *sigh*

So here is my experience:
Loaded in Poser 2012 the East Cliff - was there in about hmm 2 Mins. But Heck... Poser got laggy, could not really maneuver around it
(Have 12 GB RAM, and Intel Extreme Hexa Core 3,33 GHz and the Nvidea GTX 480)

Well, Okee.
Tried that in Carrara - and well, it was at 0.03 % after 15 Minutes and if you dare click at the Carrara Window it crashes...

Anyone has an idea? (besides using DazStudio... I only would do that when DazStudio becomes like Carrara regarding the menu, library, mesh manipulation, shading domain manipulation, shader room, ... and all that what makes Carrara godly)

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,616
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:

It said, that it would require longer loading times for Poser due the lack of instancing.

Loaded in Poser 2012 the East Cliff - was there in about hmm 2 Mins. But Heck... Poser got laggy, could not really maneuver around it

Well, Okee.
    Tried that in Carrara - and well, it was at 0.03 % after 15 Minutes and if you dare click at the Carrara Window it crashes...

Anyone has an idea? (besides using DazStudio... I only would do that when DazStudio becomes like Carrara regarding the menu, library, mesh manipulation, shading domain manipulation, shader room, ... and all that what makes Carrara godly)

Hello Rhiana, Carrara version is in the works and on its way not too far...

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Thank you Alessandro_AM! That is such a good news!

Rhiana said:

Well, Okee.

edited October 2013

About using Lost World in Poser, right after the cliff has loaded, use the 'toggle vegetation' command (it's in Runtime:Libraries:scene:AM:LostWorld). The command will set the vegetation to hidden, and allow you to pan the camera, and do usual viewport operations with decent speed.
    When you are all set for render, use again the 'toggle vegetation' command to unhide the vegetation, and run the render.

There is also a short guide that I wrote and might be of help: http://www.alessandromastronardi.com/the-lost-world/

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    Thank you Alessandro_AM! That is such a good news!

Rhiana said:

Well, Okee.

You're welcome, I'll make sure to post news about it also on the Carrara site, when the time comes.

edited December 1969

About using Lost World in Poser, right after the cliff has loaded, use the 'toggle vegetation' command (it's in Runtime:Libraries:scene:AM:LostWorld). The command will set the vegetation to hidden, and allow you to pan the camera, and do usual viewport operations with decent speed.
    When you are all set for render, use again the 'toggle vegetation' command to unhide the vegetation, and run the render.

There is also a short guide that I wrote and might be of help: http://www.alessandromastronardi.com/the-lost-world/

Yep that did it for me.
    Much better to move around :) It's really a wonderful scene.

edited December 1969

Rhiana said:

Yep that did it for me.
    Much better to move around :) It's really a wonderful scene.

I'm really glad you like it! :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

She was just looking for something like this, not long ago. Well done!

edited December 1969

Oh yes, that I was :D
    I didn't get far with my own modelling skills. I am far better with textures and non-organic looking thingies ^^

edited December 1969

I thought of that as soon as I saw the product: "Hey, Rhiana was looking for just this thing!" ;)

edited December 1969

Very cool that Alessandro answered so fast!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Is the vegetation in this scene part of the same mesh as the cliffs? If not, perhaps you can load the plant types individually and use a replicator?

edited December 1969

I tried the replicator - and loaded things individually, first. But somehow the replicator is a bit wonky. Have to experiment.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    I tried the replicator - and loaded things individually, first. But somehow the replicator is a bit wonky. Have to experiment.

Duplicating and grouping is also an option as duplicating is like instancing from what I've read. You may have more control that way.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

I do not have it I admit but Carrara duplicating is I believe better than D|S instancing in that the mesh is still one master object like replicating.
    infact I often find duplicating uses less resources than replicating and is much easier to work with.

edited November 2013

Rhiana said:
    I have recently purchased Inagoni's Advance Pack which includes a tool called "Replica". You use it through the Edit menu and can tell your new instances to do many things - but i've just been using it to place a new instance, without even setting up the 'where' and 'how' of it. Then I can literally grab these replicants and place them anywhere I want. This is what you need if you want the ease and memory savings of replicas/duplicates on 'figures' that won't allow Ctrl D, "Duplicate".
    Neither of the native Carrara replicators allow you to grab instances and move them around after the replicator places it, "Replica" allows you to make certain changes to the shader as well as the ability to freely manipulate the object as if you just dragged it in from the browser. Like other actual duplicates or replications, you cannot make certain changes and have them show the affect - because they truly are a memory-saving instance. I love it. I used to just increase my memory usage and load in a whole new model, for those where "duplicate" doesn't work. Now I immediately turn to Replica - and do it!
    advance-pack-large.jpg
    240 x 312 - 34K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that Hint. I will check that one out :)
    The thing with drawing my own "growth maps" is a bit annoying because some plants float above the ground (especially when working with grass-land that have small hills and such) despite me telling them not to stay too far away from each other.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited October 2014

I cannot get Lost World to load AT ALL. DAZ just goes into "Not Responding" mode. I have the newest version of DAZ Studio, and a new video card and all. Never had a problem with loading anything before. Only the "no vegetation" version will load, but that's basically useless for the renders I want to do. :(
    What to do?

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
    edited December 1969

Yep.. That's the problem with DazStudio content.

I assume this is because of the high poly count of all objects together - since only Daz has instancing, it won't work as comfy in other programs.

I still refuse to use DazStudio since I am faithful Carrara user ;-) (and I still hate the DS menu/gui)

The only way to get it to work is to load the "naked rock" scene and add the plants one by one. But beware... after a while Carrara still will become laggy.
    It's a lot work, but it works.

Same with "The Forest". Same issue.

Hope that helps.

Btw. what happened to the promised Carrara version? Anyone knows? :)