G2F UV Maps

EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
edited November 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hello out there in the wide world!

Please correct me if I am wrong:

For some additional Characters (V6, G6, Josie etc). the UV-Map of G2F can change.
If this is right, how can I see, which UV-Map set is used by a Character and
how can I see for which UV-Map set a skin/texture is made beside the try and error method?

Thanks in advance.

Eddy

Post edited by EddyMI3D on

Comments

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited November 2013

No one with any information for me??? :-/

Post edited by EddyMI3D on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    No one with any information for me??? :-/

Sorry, I really dont know but until someone better informed comes along, I think you can try by looking in Daz Studio's surface tab. I would think there would be a better method without leaving Carrara, but I don't know what it would be. This is from the infobase on using other skin textures on Genesis. Presumably, same principles apply on Gen2.

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/21258657-Using-4th-Generation-Content-on-Genesis-in-DAZ-Studio-4

SKIN TEXTURES
    These are the easiest to use on Genesis. By default, any texture that works on Victoria 4.2 (including Aiko 4, Stephanie 4, Girl 4, and She-Freak 4) works on Genesis. Simply apply the texture. Any texture for Michael 4 (including Freak 4, Hiro 4, and Vladimir for M4) can also be used on Genesis. Textures for Kids4 can also be applied to Genesis.

When applying a fourth Generation texture to Genesis that is not V4-compatible, it's necessary to change the UV Map set afterwards. This is a very easy setting to change in the Surface (Color) Tab. Select the figure, then go to the Surface (Color) Tab (WINDOW --> Tabs --> Surface). Select the Genesis figure again on the left side of the Surface Tab. This highlights (and thus selects) all the surfaces for the Genesis figure. On the right side, scroll down the list of properties. Find the UV Set property. Click the drop-down and choose Michael 4 or Kids4, as appropriate for the original texture. The UV Map on Genesis changes and the seams disappear.

edited December 1969

Hello diomede,

thanks for that info. I think, I will have a look into DS then.

Eddy

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I have found the post.

Here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31399/P15/#465948

DAZ Spooky:

"For Genesis and Genesis 2 Female there are UV presets.

In Carrara, for Genesis: Loading Victoria 5 will change the UV set to V5. Basic Female will load the V4 UV set (Also the default Genesis UV set). Basic Male loads the M4 UV set. Basic Child, loads the K4 UV set. M5 loads the M5 UV set, etc.

For Genesis 2 Female, Loading the base is the V5 UV set. Loading V6 is the V6 UV set, etc. I am pretty sure that there is a preset that loads the V4 UV set included with Michael Lane’s V4 clone.

Note that any DUF material preset correctly sets the UV set in Carrara as well as the texture map. So for your use that is less of a problem than you believe it to be."

rk.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that info too, rk!

But I'm still wondering why some textures produce some very ugly seams and miscolourd areas on the body...

edited December 1969

So, made some test with characters I have:

The DUFs of Ambie, Elle, Izzy, Kari, Aspen.Mahala, Nyssa, Norma and Vianne work fine.
    The DUFs of Cassie, Monie, Neomie, Gia, Girl 6, Teen Josie 6, Victoria 6 produce black skins here.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited November 2013

EddyMI said:
    So, made some test with characters I have:

The DUFs of Ambie, Elle, Izzy, Kari, Aspen.Mahala, Nyssa, Norma and Vianne work fine.
    The DUFs of Cassie, Monie, Neomie, Gia, Girl 6, Teen Josie 6, Victoria 6 produce black skins here.

I got the black skins as well with Cassie. I loaded Cassie in studio and saved the scene. When I imported the scene, Cassie was SHINY!.

Looking over the shaders, it brought in reflection and refraction settings. I cleared these channels and got a better result. That may be what is causing the black. I have not had a chance to look at a pure Carrara version of Cassie at the moment.

One other thing I noticed from importing from DS, The clothing comes in grouped under the figure and causes a lot of poke through. If you drag the clothes out of the group (into the main scene), they fit better.

Also, watchout for the Eye Reflection and Cornea. Cassie was white eyed, Set the Alpha on the Eye Reflection to 5% and then set Alpha to about 15% to allow for eye color to show through.

We need a database of what textures are assigned to a specific UV set. At least then we would have a fighting chance.

ncamp

Cassie.png
    1280 x 960 - 193K
    Post edited by ncamp on
  • LennyElfLennyElf Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

what about changing Uvs in poser? I'm just a gen2 tester, but I'm curious to know

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited January 2015

The seams may be due to the default texture being displayed as fast mip-mapping. I can't provide a screen shot as I use C7.2 and Fast Mip-mapping wasn't introduced until the C8 or C8.5 beta, but from what I have seen in various screen shots posted here, where the thumbnail is displayed in the shader window, there is a pulldown menu under filtering that displays Fast Mip-Mapping by default. Try changing it to the old default, which is Sampling.

Here's a screenshot of C7.2. It should look similar, but with Fast Mip-Mapping displayed by default in C8.5.

As far as I know, there's no way to change it globally, unless Fenric's Shader Doctor plugin does it. I don't have it, so I can't test it.

Picture_1.png
    562 x 313 - 53K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2015

i've started renaming my character folders with the uv set in the title. :)
    by uncompress the file with batch convert if need be and open in wordpad, search for uv_set

even though genesis has different domains from from v4,

is it possible to make a carrara shader preset change only the uv set? and the mip thing also?

domains - i'se starting to speak carrara :) can't imagine knowing someone in my r/l could speak this language with me

Post edited by Mistara on