Hair that truly behaves like hair

When you apply conforming hair th a G8F, it always result in a wig that "gloves" onto the figure, gollowing the curve of the shoulders and defying the laws of gravity if, for example, your figure is upside down doing a headstand or if sh'es laying on her back on the edge of a pillow. In those two respective situations, normal hair would hang down from the root to the end, only to be stopped by an obstacle. It would be really nice to have hair that really does... what real hair does.The only fixed point would be the root, it would know collision and gravity.

I don't know to what extent this is doable but if it is, for love of all that is mesh (or mèche:D) we really need this.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040

I have done it using Zbrush fibermesh and Dforce but it can crash my video driver very easily 

I add a thin shading domain at the root in Ultimate Unwrap 3D and zero the simulation on that surface

• There is also https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-master-hair-simulation-presets-for-dforce-cloth-engine - but bear in mind that many hair models, especially older sets, simply aren't structured like hair and so will not behave realistically under simulation.

• Indeed, Richard, and that's my problem in a nutshell. Long hairdos aren't the only ones obeying gravity but I have seen only long hair to be built in a satisfactory way when it comes to Dforce.

Also, I have noticed that Erogenesis' Project Evolution figure comes with hair that does what hair is supposed to do even though it doesn't have Dforce, since it's made for Poser, and yet it works. It's in the way he "boned" it and organized the strands roots on the scalp. He built it with the same structure as real hair: the root doesn't move but the rest does.

• There is fibre mesh hair that is built that way, and which may be convertible to dForce (I think you'd need to use a weight map and a sphere gradient to remove the simulation from the roots), but I'm not sure if there are any long styles made that way. They might well be painfully slow to simulate if there were.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

I appreciate the fact that most hair meshes, like many clothes meshes, just are not compatible with dForce. However, I do fully support Mr. Rimmer's request for hair (long or short) that follows gravity and collides realistically with the figure and clothing/objects. I know there are several systems that allow this natural hair movement. If the problem can be solved by designing Hair to be compatible with dForce, all well and good. If some other system is required, then let's have a plug-in for DS that enables this. It would be great for animations too. Regarding the slow simulation issue resulting from high poly hair (or clothes); could there not be a low poly version of the Hair (or clothing) which is used to run the simulation and then the actual high poly Hair or clothing would be conformed to that new shape? I don't know if such a process would be practical but I throw it out there for consideration.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    It would be really nice to have hair that really does... what real hair does.

dForce wasn't meant for this kind of simulation and IMO it would have to be extended to add another property.

Another thing to consider would be making some sort of hair-brush and hair-spray tools so you can take long hair and shape it the way you want by using those.

Regarding dForce, I think you may be right. Perhaps some of the algorithms used in dForce could be applied to a hair flow simulator.

Regarding shaping tools for hair. It would be great to have brushes to move the mesh how you want it. Such brushes could also be used for moving clothing as you want it; making folds etc. The brushes could also be used for making alterations to the character mesh, such deformations like tight clothing makes on skin or dimples where fingers grip the body.