Damaged Leather Materials

Most of the materials we have for leather seem to be either new or at most lightly distressed.

It would be nice to have materials for highly worn and distressed leather. For example stuff like this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NFTDghB_9-I/Tq64HbYGtJI/AAAAAAAAClc/oa7vGCFr5mg/s1600/leatherwornout.jpg

The kind of leather that has entire spots where the surface has worn, that has rips and cracks. The stuff that looks just old and abused... or at least loved literally to death.

Comments

• MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 959

That looks like a fabric-based faux leather.  Just use a fabric base with a leather texture overtop with lots of missing bits :-) 

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    edited May 2019

That looks like a fabric-based faux leather.  Just use a fabric base with a leather texture overtop with lots of missing bits :-) 

It was the best pure texture example I could find quick. here's better

https://edvalentine.artstation.com/projects/n6gD9

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w86m4w

Post edited by Psyckosama on

On the second example, the big difference seems to be in the change in specularity on the worn bits.  I don't know whether you're using iRay or 3Delight, but setting up a texture isn't too hard, especially if you're looking at tiled so you can use it on whatever.  The time it would take would mostly depends on how much detail you want; you could just overlay some scuff-marks on a leather texture, and at the same scuffing onto the spec map.  Or, you could scuff  'down' the bump as well... or if it's the fabric leather, scuff down to a woven texture, which may or may not have its own bump.  You could include normal maps if you wanted/needed... it depends so much on how you want to use it, on what, and how close you're going to get. It also depends on what resources you have for your toolbox - PS or GIMP, Filter Forge, etc.

On the second example, the big difference seems to be in the change in specularity on the worn bits.  I don't know whether you're using iRay or 3Delight, but setting up a texture isn't too hard, especially if you're looking at tiled so you can use it on whatever.  The time it would take would mostly depends on how much detail you want; you could just overlay some scuff-marks on a leather texture, and at the same scuffing onto the spec map.  Or, you could scuff  'down' the bump as well... or if it's the fabric leather, scuff down to a woven texture, which may or may not have its own bump.  You could include normal maps if you wanted/needed... it depends so much on how you want to use it, on what, and how close you're going to get. It also depends on what resources you have for your toolbox - PS or GIMP, Filter Forge, etc.

It would also have different normals.

Frankly making it and making it look good is beyond me. However, a good texture artist could and there are 101 people offering virtually the same brand new looking leather textures for iray.

A set for people who want to do stuff like battered furnuture or leather clothes that have seen too much abuse would not at all be out of place.

It might be beyond me, too... I might try, and if I do succeed I'll post them (textures) here for you to look at.  I actually have two commissions I need to do, first - so I'm trying not to let this distract me ;-)  That, and now I'm being tested for mono... I just don't have time to be this tired :-P  I can't set them up for iray, though, because I don't ever use that renderer, and wouldn't know where to start.  I do know displacement isn't good in iray, right?  Hence the need for normals?

It might be beyond me, too... I might try, and if I do succeed I'll post them (textures) here for you to look at.  I actually have two commissions I need to do, first - so I'm trying not to let this distract me ;-)  That, and now I'm being tested for mono... I just don't have time to be this tired :-P  I can't set them up for iray, though, because I don't ever use that renderer, and wouldn't know where to start.  I do know displacement isn't good in iray, right?  Hence the need for normals?

Thanks. Really.

Would be dead useful I'll say. :)