Sort Content within Objects and Shaders

EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi there!

Is there a way to get the content within the Objects and Shaders Browser sorted?.
New content is often added at the end, sometimes in between. I like to sort them alphabetically.

... waiting for Santa,
Eddy

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I recall, just recently, someone wanting something to this end, and was successful at doing so, somehow, by editing the list in his preference data stored on the machine (not in the Program Files directory - I think it might be roaming data?) in a text editor, I think he said....

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Ahh, thanks for that hint DB.
    There is a lot of info stored in that file.

Eddy

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

So, I just had a look at the preferences file.

Could be a project for a preferences tool.
    I already made my mind about setting up the GUI colors there and storing different themes, but the color handling for the GUI is somehow a bit strange...
    I will get to it again after the holidays. There is too much work for me at the cathedral these days.

Stay well!

Eddy

edited December 1969

So were you able to change the order?

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

I recall, just recently, someone wanting something to this end, and was successful at doing so, somehow, by editing the list in his preference data stored on the machine (not in the Program Files directory - I think it might be roaming data?) in a text editor, I think he said....

In Windows the preferences.txt file is located in:
    C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8.5

I suggest you make a copy of it before editing.

Open the file in your text editor of choice and search for brow. This is where the browser section starts.

Then you can simply cut and paste or select and move or add an entry from scratch.

I generally cut or copy an existing entry, starting with the XFol line (unless it is the FIRST entry of a section – then it is AFol) down to the line BEFORE the next XFol. This is either a total of 4 lines or 5 depending on the browser section. The LAST line is always ShHd 0.

Then I either move it to where I want it to appear in the browser or edit the path if I am adding an entry.

I have found it easier to add to the browser in Carrara and then edit the preferences.txt file to put things in the order I want.

edited December 1969

Thanks and, long time no see, kakman! :)
    Welcome home ;)

Yeah, I'll be leaving my preferences file alone. I, too, just use the browser method. For scenes, I have a single folder that I add everything to, which is added to the browser. So I open that one slot, and there's my alphabetical listing of my saved scene categories, which in turn open into their categories.