My analysis regarding historical aircraft

andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
edited August 2019 in Product Suggestions

I'm a big fan of historical aircraft and was thrilled to see that a number of really interesting planes have recently appeared on the platform. It has come to my ears that the planes are selling badly. In order to help the artists who create airplanes, I have reconsidered my personal use and needs. Despite acquiring a few single-seater fighter planes, I realized that I am using them very few. The problem are the limited options I have to put my actors in context inside a single-seater. In my use single-seaters often end up in secondary scenes, background etc. One of the key factors seems to be the possibility to make my actors interact inside the airplane.

99% of my use focuses on scenes with multiple actors within the plane - chatting, making plans, repairing, sleeping etc. After cost - benefit analysis,  https://www.daz3d.com/douglas-cargo-plane proves to be a much more important product (although I have to hide/kitbash/shade a lot of things) than all newly emerged historic aircraft like the Zeke, P40, Messerschmitt and Corsair. In this sense, it would be technically more interesting to offer multi-seat aircraft. The three-seat A26 Invader is a good example to explain what I mean: a late (1944) WW2 light bomber, the A26 was used for secret service covert operations after it's military career (till 1970) and very popular for firefighting (converted into a water bomber/mobile observation post). A company even specialized in converting the many decommissioned A-26 into business aircraft and air ambulances, drug lords used the A26 for fast "cargo"... . I think the choice of such machines would make sales easier as the range of potential buyers is far wider.

So although I think that probably all lovers of old planes find fighters more attractive, it is far more likely that I spend my money on a JU52 than on a Me109, a A26 than a P40, a H8K than a Zeke, a RVI than a Albatros. I'm curious if other buyers confirm my analysis.

The contribution is not intended as a criticism but as an aid. Thanks for the great job!

Post edited by andreretogasser on

Comments

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Check out Cybertenko's store on Renderosity - he has some amazing-looking aircraft models over there.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I've several of Cybertenko's items & they are nice.

I'd like to find a decent Avro Lancaster for a project & haven't had much luck with the model quality.  Did come across some enthusiast club that had their own proprietary model & software, but wasn't quite prepared to deal with that.

• sjaammonssjaammons Posts: 185

It is frustrating they aren't selling well, since that pretty much means that PAs going to just move on to making something else and not touch them (in theory) I was so excited for all of the world War II sets coming out...but hearing them selling badly pretty much means this is probably as good as we're gonna get for now.

Next weeks sale: the 100th skimpy fantasy armor pack and 'model' poses. :/

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/ww2

of the 39 pages of WWll items, nearly all of them can be used in Daz studio as .OBJ import. there will be the normal issues of maybe having to reapply textures, gear may be fixed, no moving parts, etc. Some models may be rigged and come in ,FBX format. If so, you can import that model into blender and pose it and then export in .OBJ format for use in DS if needed. Most will also be at normal 3D market price and not DAZ hobby price. My point being, that there are always solutions, you just have to think outside the small DAZ marketplace for them.