More natural-looking hair...

jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148
edited October 2019 in Product Suggestions

Any chance of getting more natural-looking hair?

I have purchased a LOT of hair assets but find myself using only 2 or 3 of them over and over because they are the only ones that look even close to natural.

The biggest problem with most of the hair assets is the line where the hair parts,  In real life, you can see a bit of the scalp (plus the hair assets tend to be excessively thick, which is fine for fairytale hair, but not natural hair). This is where the hair assets really need improvement.

• Natural hair shows skin where the hair parts. This crucial feature is missing from most hair assets and makes the hair look like a cheap wig.
  • Natural hair has strands of different lengths (including some really short ones) because hair doesn't all grow at the same time or the same rate. This is missing from many hair assets, especially at the point where the hair parts.
  • Natural hair has strands going in different directions, they don't all flow in exactly the same directions. Symmetric strands look unnatural because no one's hair is perfectly coifed if they are moving around or if the wind is blowing even a little bit. dForce morphing helps, but there's still the problem with the unnatural-looking crowded line where the hair divides and a bit of skin and hairs in different directions should be showing.

Even if you get the model looking believable the hair-that-looks-like-a-cheap-synthetic-wig-from-a-doll gives away the fact that it is a 3d model.

Toning down the thickness by removing some of the strands at the line where the hair parts so the skin shows through at least a little bit would go a long way to improving the look of the hair.

Post edited by jpetersen1 on

Comments

• I would say that most partings do show skin - though it's true that a couple of PAs whose hair regularly appears in the character bundles don't do that.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,866

I would say that most partings do show skin - though it's true that a couple of PAs whose hair regularly appears in the character bundles don't do that.

Yup. Also, the same PAs have not learned how to do convincing hair caps (so they don't do them at all). As a result of their inclusion in Pro Bundles, I have heaps of hair that I can only use on background characters.

• I wonder if it would be possible for someone clever to make a couple of hair add-ons; sets that are only the fine hairline bits, and flyaways and nape ones, so that you could add them to exisiting hair sets to improve the look... it would be nice if they were for G3 as well as 8, because then I could retrofit them :-)

It wouldn't solve the hair-part issue, but it would help some of the more solid sets be more viable, maybe?

• p0rtp0rt Posts: 217
    edited October 2019

you just need to go into the surface pane and turn the geometry slider down on them all

doing so, can make hair go from https://www.daz3d.com/annie-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s

to hair like https://www.daz3d.com/my-edwardian-hair-for-genesis-8-females

if you have ever converted G3 to G8 hair

Post edited by p0rt on
  • Is there a prohibition against mentioning PAs by name when dissatisfied? Maybe a little negative press would motivate them to learn how to do a better job.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited October 2019
    Is there a prohibition against mentioning PAs by name when dissatisfied? Maybe a little negative press would motivate them to learn how to do a better job.

there is nothing against it as long as you are being contructive and not just bashing them or the product. There is also the 30 day refund policy if you don't like a product.

Also, what one user thinks is a bad job, another might be perfectly fine with, it's all a matter of opinion and perspective.

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on