Guns galore

Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I find myself in need of somewhat detailed firearms for a post-apocalyptic setting. Ideally they would be facsimiles of real world weapons with maybe the occasional sci-fi upgrade here and there, but at least looking like something which might actually exist in our world.

I bought the Firearm pack a long while ago which has served well from a distance, but with close-ups inevitable I need some which hold up a bit better. Here's a quick list of some of the weapons I'm hoping to find. Hopefully some of you Dazzers can help me locate some suitable options to continue the series.

Single-barrel shotgun
Double-barreled shotgun / Sawn-Off
Assault Rifle
Sniper Rifle
Semi-automatic pistol

Bonus points if they have alternate textures or other options as they will likely be wielded by multiple figures so variation is always a plus. Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• ServantServant Posts: 758
    edited February 2014

Motokamishii's guns over that other place are probably the closest to what you need (with morphs and poses for shooting and reloading, too). Mostly pistols, though, but I did see a rifle or two.

For the sniper and assault rifle, I'd say check out the Dystopian Weapon caches at the DAZ store.

Post edited by Servant on
  • GallCommTVGallCommTV Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

I find myself in need of somewhat detailed firearms for a post-apocalyptic setting. Ideally they would be facsimiles of real world weapons with maybe the occasional sci-fi upgrade here and there, but at least looking like something which might actually exist in our world.

Single-barrel shotgun
    Double-barreled shotgun / Sawn-Off
    Assault Rifle
    Sniper Rifle
    Semi-automatic pistol

Bonus points if they have alternate textures or other options as they will likely be wielded by multiple figures so variation is always a plus. Thanks in advance guys.

How about these?
    M' boys been collectin a few thangs...
    All with mat zones, some are 'new' some are 'future' thangs,
    but there's an over-n-under shot gun,... and even th' oul M1 carbine
    Plus of course .. Th Mini Gun... And a must for any self preservation person .. the crossbow pistol, .. Very Post Apocalypse!

Boys_play_thangs.jpg
    1817 x 889 - 1M
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the ideas guys. You've given me a few places to check out at least. I'm quite surprised no one has released a 'normal' gun pack for Daz Studio yet. We've got plenty of sci-fi and fantasy weapons, but very few guns to choose from. The dystopia weapons and the firearm pack are fairly old releases now, and while I'm still getting some mileage out of them it would definitely benefit me to have a few new toys available.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,792
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the ideas guys. You've given me a few places to check out at least. I'm quite surprised no one has released a 'normal' gun pack for Daz Studio yet. We've got plenty of sci-fi and fantasy weapons, but very few guns to choose from. The dystopia weapons and the firearm pack are fairly old releases now, and while I'm still getting some mileage out of them it would definitely benefit me to have a few new toys available.

Weapons designs are proprietary, so I'd imagine we haven't seen really accurate modern guns for the same reason that we haven't seen accurate car reproductions. Things like the space shuttle and military vehicles are technically owned by the taxpaying public, and you can make your own AK-47s in your backyard, but most handguns and rifles are made for the private market, so if you want to market a replica, someone may ask for a cut.
  • MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited December 1969

Actually, before Daz converted the website to this format, another PA (Questor I believe his name was) released a number of gun packs for free. With those, and the Firearm pack released by Daz, one had enough weapons to cover most of one's firearm desires.

Very unfortunate for them to do so.

-MJ

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Weapons designs are proprietary, so I'd imagine we haven't seen really accurate modern guns for the same reason that we haven't seen accurate car reproductions. Things like the space shuttle and military vehicles are technically owned by the taxpaying public, and you can make your own AK-47s in your backyard, but most handguns and rifles are made for the private market, so if you want to market a replica, someone may ask for a cut.

That's fine and dandy, but there are plenty of weapons in which are faked yet look as though they could exist. When you're using an urban setting, running around with a laser gun or a medieval broadsword just looks a bit out of place :)
  • MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

I've had a great time building guns with Mock's The Gun sets (I through IV) available at rendo...

edited December 1969

I've had a great time building guns with Mock's The Gun sets (I through IV) available at rendo...

I've got sets 1, 3 & 5 and they're great for add-ons, though only set one is really useful for "modern" weapons. The textures are a bit dated as well, but it looks like the vendor's just letting them go out of print rather than update.
    edited February 2014

MJ007 said:

Actually, before Daz converted the website to this format, another PA (Questor I believe his name was) released a number of gun packs for free. With those, and the Firearm pack released by Daz, one had enough weapons to cover most of one's firearm desires.

Very unfortunate for them to do so.

-MJ

It was Questor. In fact, the catalog page for the M4 combat pack still has a (now dead) link to the HK-GSP1. No idea what happened to him or his products though.

edit: other than the fact that they were in the old Free Library, that is. I've still got them and, given that the basic props were sound, I don't understand why DAZ hasn't had someone update the textures and put them back out as platinum items.

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited December 1969

Ah... THIS is what happened to those Questor guns and knives:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3092/P15/#126870

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

BorgyB said:
    Motokamishii's guns over that other place are probably the closest to what you need

They're great gun models, and I really like the moveable parts, but one gotcha — the Poser materials all need serious rebuilds (more than just minor tweaking) before they'll look good in D|S, and the way the Poser objects have been set up, the sub-parts of each gun are not selectable so you can change any of the materials. It's easily fixed by editing the .cr2 files (every "hidden[tab][tab]1" must be changed to "hidden[tab][tab]0") then you'll be able to alter the materials settings.

Not sure why that particular setup's been used — could it be a thing in part of the Japanese Poser community?

• ServantServant Posts: 758
    edited December 1969

They're great gun models, and I really like the moveable parts, but one gotcha — the Poser materials all need serious rebuilds (more than just minor tweaking) before they'll look good in D|S, and the way the Poser objects have been set up, the sub-parts of each gun are not selectable so you can change any of the materials. It's easily fixed by editing the .cr2 files (every "hidden[tab][tab]1" must be changed to "hidden[tab][tab]0") then you'll be able to alter the materials settings.

Not sure why that particular setup's been used — could it be a thing in part of the Japanese Poser community?

It's probably because of the same way with Poser-centric PAs there that don't bother to test it in DS and not make adjustments so it works in that format. Likely not intentional, but that might be a possibility, too.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881
    edited December 1969

BorgyB said:

It's probably because of the same way with Poser-centric PAs there that don't bother to test it in DS and not make adjustments so it works in that format. Likely not intentional, but that might be a possibility, too.

I will add my voice to support Motokamishii’s guns. I have spoken to him about Ds compatability and I know that he is Japanese and does not understand DS at all. You can edit the CR2 files so that the hidden parts of the gun are not hidden when loaded. And yes, materials need to be tweaked to look good in DS. Minor issue personally.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    You can edit the CR2 files so that the hidden parts of the gun are not hidden when loaded.

One more small issue I just remembered working on one of the revolvers: until you unhide the gun parts, if you put a full load into the gun, the bullets will be parented to the frame, not the cylinder. So when you swing the cylinder out...
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    You can edit the CR2 files so that the hidden parts of the gun are not hidden when loaded.

One more small issue I just remembered working on one of the revolvers: until you unhide the gun parts, if you put a full load into the gun, the bullets will be parented to the frame, not the cylinder. So when you swing the cylinder out...

Hmmm...that would make for a rather interesting reloading render...

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I saw a fairly new gun set at RDNA recently that was really nice with nice detail for up close shots. IIRC it's called Colt 45 1911, but I don't recall who the vendor is.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    I saw a fairly new gun set at RDNA recently that was really nice with nice detail for up close shots. IIRC it's called Colt 45 1911, but I don't recall who the vendor is.

Sixthsense is the vendor.

• sabotssnakesabotssnake Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Someone say guns?

These are some of the vendors or sites of stuff I have used in the past and found to be pretty good. Level of detail varies as well as the amount of extra options available for the guns such as attachments and animation morphs. I haven't used DS since 3.0, but all the guns I mention work pretty much fine in Poser and Carrara.

Well there is the Daz Firearms pack as you stated is a good place to start.

The Dystopian weapon caches are good for sci fi stuff:
    http://www.daz3d.com/weapons-warfare/dystopian-weapon-cache-1
    http://www.daz3d.com/weapons-warfare/dystopian-weapon-cache-2

Nightshift3d has a good selection of sci fi and steampunk stuff. He also has a store over at Rendo.
    http://www.daz3d.com/nightshift3d

Daz forum regular Porsimo has some nice freebie weapons at his site:
    http://www.porsimo.net/3d/weapons.htm

I will mention DzFire as well, not so much for his guns, though the Armory set is nice with a bunch of extra props, but more for the vehicles and armours that would compliment any gun totting render you might like to come up with:
    http://www.daz3d.com/dzfire

Over at Rendo, Cybertenko has some interesting steampunk weapon kits which are pretty cool though maybe not quite what you are looking for:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vendor/Cybertenko

Motokamishii of course:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=motokamishii

Panko has some good older WW2 and modern weapon packs though I feel some of the scaling on the guns is a little small:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=panko

Mock's gun packs and stuff:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vendor/Mock

There was a vendor there called Dayglo who seems to have recently gone unfortunately. He had one of the best modular M4 platforms around that I have used many times in my renders :(

If you go through the various freebie forums here, or at Rendo, or something like sharecg.com, you will probably find a bunch of stuff you maybe able to use as well.

Happy rendering :)

tools-of-the-trade.jpg
    1658 x 881 - 506K
    zombiepocolypse-saferoom.jpg
    1600 x 1009 - 512K
    mercenary.jpg
    1600 x 910 - 511K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited February 2014

mjc1016 said:
    Miss B said:

AHA!!! Thanks for the reminder. If I hadn't been so lazy yesterday, I could've gone and checked it out. :coolsmile:

Post edited by Miss B on
  • rschulterschulte Posts: 485
    edited February 2014

mjc1016 said:
    Miss B said:

Daz3d also has a colt 45 auto, just search for "auto loader". It too comes with complete morphs.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969