DIM is dumb, or maybe I'm dumb

StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 162
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Ok, long time Poser user here, and the last time I really used D|S was way back in the beta days... Anyhow, here is what I'm looking to do: my L: drive is the drive that I use for all of my Poser stuff. How do I point the installers to install everything on the L: drive, and not the C: drive? Right now, i have so much stuff scattered from the installs, that nothing works right. I really want to give DAZ Studio a chance, as i really like the Genesis 2 figures. I tried doing a manual download and install, but the DAZ runtime file structure is more convoluted than the Poser-type runtime. I have no idea where to place all the content files and such. Can anybody help me do a proper install? I despise random vague wikis written in Klingon or some other jargon-esque language.

Thanks, -David

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

You need to do two things. Firstly, set up your Daz Install Manager to install files to the L Drive, and secondly set up your copy of Daz Studio to look for the files there. If you have Poser Content you can set that up in the same way in Daz Studio.

To set up DIM:
    Click the cog icon in the top-right to bring up the settings and go to the Installation tab. It will display "Label" and "Path". Click the plus button to add the L drive as a path and then set it as 'Current' in the drop down menu at the bottom of the dialogue box. You can delete any other paths you no longer need by clicking the minus button.

To set up Daz Studio:
    Open your Preferences by finding it under the Edit menu or by pressing F2. Click on Content Library and then hit the Content Library Manager button at the bottom. In this new box you can enter a directory or drive where it will look for content. Under 'Current Directories' click on either Daz Studio Formats or Poser Formats (depending on the type of content you're pointing to) and then click Add under the Directory list to add a folder.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Under 'Current Directories' click on either Daz Studio Formats or Poser Formats (depending on the type of content you're pointing to) and then click Add under the Directory list to add a folder.

Note that whenever you add a new content location in D|S, it should always be set up as both D|S and Poser — this is because all your textures are in what is technically a Poser location, also some of the content you'll install will be in Poser format anyway. If you only set up your new location as D|S format, none of this will be useable.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Under 'Current Directories' click on either Daz Studio Formats or Poser Formats (depending on the type of content you're pointing to) and then click Add under the Directory list to add a folder.

Note that whenever you add a new content location in D|S, it should always be set up as both D|S and Poser — this is because all your textures are in what is technically a Poser location, also some of the content you'll install will be in Poser format anyway. If you only set up your new location as D|S format, none of this will be useable.

There is less of a problem setting it only as a Poser format location, but then you run into the problem that any DS specific content there won't show, either.

Like has been said, set it in both and everything will be happy.