A few thoughts about body symmetry

Like the face, the body is rarely symmetrically shaped. Arm dominance usually results in increased musculature of the dominant arm and a slight lowering of the shoulder. This is easily seen in most people if you have them stand with their arms at their side and you compare the highest points of the two shoulders.

Another main cause of differences between left and rights sides of the body are injuries.  Even with complete healing of a significant musculoskeletal injury or soft tissue injury, it is not unusual to see atrophy of some of the muscles on the injured side. Joint injuries may result in the joint appearing thickened or mishappen. Serious muscles injuries (ruptures, severe wounds) may also cause persistent lumps or depressions in the soft tissues. New acquired serious injuries are usually accompanied by some degree of swelling and discoloration of the soft tissues. Severe fractures may result in shortening or angulation of the limb. Muscle atrophy of the whole limb may result due to changes in how that limb is used.

Scars from serious cuts, lacerations and abrasions tend to look different from each other. A cut such as from a blade will usually result in a scar that appears mostly straight although there may be difference in the width of the scar along this line.  Lacerations such as when the skin is split due to a blow or otherwise torn may result in a more jagged scar. Scars from serious abrasions tend to have more of a patch like appearance. New scars tend to have a darker, angrier appearance. Over time, the scar will lighten. Some people tend to develop wider, thicker scars than others. Scars from serious burns look very different than cuts and lacerations and may be accompanied by significant changes in symmetry.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Okay. Are you prepared for a doubling of product prices to implement that?

• There are products that already do most of this. Maybe not to the level of detail you describe, but it would get you some of the way at least.
  • ZateticZatetic Posts: 286

I'm sorry if my purpose was not clear. I wasn't advocating for a particular product. Having taught courses in kinesiology, biomechanics, and injury evaluation and treatment, I was trying to share information that modelers might be interested in. As products are designed to provide more realistic depiction, designers need to know more about the factors that underly such realism. Character faces that are not perfectly symmetrical and imperfection in skins are signs of designers movement in this direction. My point was that whole human body lacks symmetry and that products intending to show current or past injuries are too simplistic.

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 165
    edited January 2020

Most artists know this, either from anatomy classes or a quick look in the mirror. Modeling programs use symetry so not only do you need to only sculpt half the body, but clothing will fit properly, and rigging, and morphs. 

Some artists use slight asymmetry in the face, but if its not enough for you. There are Asymmetrical Morphs that you can apply to the figure after the fact if you wish, or you can sculpt your own morphs. Unless you are using the figures to display asymmetry or in a close straight shot, then they are usually purposefully posed in ways you wouldn't notice it anyway.

Scars and blemishes are usually just images so you can make those look like whatever you want,  put litteral brands of your favorite food chains on them if you want (well copyrights), also story/character background dependant. 

Wounds, deep wounds, deeper than displacement maps would illustrate, are sculpts and/or grafts. 

If you want to see some asymmetry get some old poser items or the freebies around town and turn on a wireframe view laugh.    

Post edited by TDBAGZ on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Interesting information! I believe there is also the x morph product, that allows you to effectively mask morphs, so you can only apply it to one arm for instance. This would go some way to what Zatetic is describing