What's The 2020 Status Of 3D Printed DAZ Figurines?

Last time I checked (2018) there were still significant legal concerns and the EULA was not friendly to 3rd party printing.

Fortunately, full color home desktop 3D printers seem to be happening this year, so I'm wondering what DAZ staff and users think about 3D printed figurines at home. 

I know there are some folks who have tried monochrome 3D printing, and there was a service available through the DAZ site for a while.  Some of the results looked nice.

Here's an upcoming example of some industry competition -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/full-color-custom-miniatures-with-hero-forge-20

I'd love to be able to create digitally painted DAZ Studio 3D models and post the appropriate full color build files at SHAPEWAYS for others to share and modify, but that would be totally forbidden under DAZ current EULA.

I'm guessing it will continue to be forbidden for a very long time....

What OTHER 3D printed figurine opportunities are out there to enable me to earn some return on the significant investments I've made in DAZ software model purchases and research time?

Am I allowed to 3D print a range of full color figurines on my own home machine(s) and then sell the figurines?

Comments

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    ColinK said:

Last time I checked (2018) there were still significant legal concerns and the EULA was not friendly to 3rd party printing.

Fortunately, full color home desktop 3D printers seem to be happening this year, so I'm wondering what DAZ staff and users think about 3D printed figurines at home. 

I know there are some folks who have tried monochrome 3D printing, and there was a service available through the DAZ site for a while.  Some of the results looked nice.

Here's an upcoming example of some industry competition -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/full-color-custom-miniatures-with-hero-forge-20

I'd love to be able to create digitally painted DAZ Studio 3D models and post the appropriate full color build files at SHAPEWAYS for others to share and modify, but that would be totally forbidden under DAZ current EULA.

I'm guessing it will continue to be forbidden for a very long time....

What OTHER 3D printed figurine opportunities are out there to enable me to earn some return on the significant investments I've made in DAZ software model purchases and research time?

Am I allowed to 3D print a range of full color figurines on my own home machine(s) and then sell the figurines?

The last option sounds much more reasonable than the first.

Your first option of selling the 3d Model itself (even turned as a figurine) is basically reselling Daz models online which doesn't sound like it would ever happen.

The last option sounds more like using it comercially, some sell their renders, in different ways, you sell you 3D printed models. Maybe (I don't think so but it is worth to check) you will need an interactive license at most.

I think a ticket to ask Daz directly about this is your best chance to get a clear, definitive answer on this topic.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387
    ColinK said:

Am I allowed to 3D print a range of full color figurines on my own home machine(s) and then sell the figurines?

No, you're not, at least with the standard EULA. 3D printing is only allowed for personal, non commercial use with the standard EULA.

To sell 3D printed models you'd need to negotiate a specific license with Daz. 

• ColinKColinK Posts: 41

Ouch.  Well, thanks for that clarification, Leana.