Difference between these two products.

TsuzuraTsuzura Posts: 119
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Whats the difference between "Genesis 2 Female Clone for Genesis" and "Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female"

Don't they both allow me to use my V4 and Genesis textures/morphs/clothing for my V6 and Genesis 2? And Vice versa

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The Genesis 2 Female Clone for Genesis will allow you to use Genesis 2 clothing on the classic Genesis figure.

The Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 female will give you both the V4 shape for Genesis 2 as well as provide the UV maps and autofit features which allow Genesis 2 to use V4 clothing and textures.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2014

g2m/f clothes don't work on genesis?

:bug: oh mannn

and we have to buy it twice?

'paying through the nose' expression makes more sense now

gonna need this too http://www.daz3d.com/march-madness-shop-all-sunday-AGH27/clothing-breast-fixes-for-genesis-2-female

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

This is exactly why I haven't gotten into Genesis 2 at all. I wasn't thrilled buying "again" for Genesis 1 clothes I already had for my Gen4 characters, but doing it "yet again" for Genesis 2? Nope, just ain't going to happen.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:

This is exactly why I haven't gotten into Genesis 2 at all. I wasn't thrilled buying "again" for Genesis 1 clothes I already had for my Gen4 characters, but doing it "yet again" for Genesis 2? Nope, just ain't going to happen.

don't know why i assumed M6 clothes would work on M5, iz illogical in retrospect. owning up to my mistake and trying not to feel upset about it.
    but genesis clothes seems to work okay on M6.

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

Here you go, it's quite simple - make your own clone :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/P390/#484407

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:

You don't need to. As mentioned above, Genesis 2 can autofit any Genesis item and, with the additional purchase, can autofit any Generation 4 figure items as well. What you're thinking of is trying to fit Genesis 2 items onto Genesis classic. To this day, I know of no Genesis items which will work on generation 4 figures, or even Gen4 items that work on Gen3, making this one of the best examples of forwards-compatibility.

Since Genesis 2 can essentially use three generations worth of items, it has the broadest range of options of any figure to date.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,800
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:

You don't need to. As mentioned above, Genesis 2 can autofit any Genesis item and, with the additional purchase, can autofit any Generation 4 figure items as well. What you're thinking of is trying to fit Genesis 2 items onto Genesis classic. To this day, I know of no Genesis items which will work on generation 4 figures, or even Gen4 items that work on Gen3, making this one of the best examples of forwards-compatibility.

Since Genesis 2 can essentially use three generations worth of items, it has the broadest range of options of any figure to date.

Nope, not even close. That accolade would go to Genesis, which can use Genesis and Gen 4 clothing out of the box, plus Gen 3 and Genesis 2 clothing with the appropriate add-on shapes, AND, as the ultimate killer app, can use any outfit for the male or female versions of the other gens on characters of the opposite gender, as well as on a wide variety of non-human figures.

Genesis 2 has some advantages in rigging, but it still takes a back seat to the original Genesis in terms of versatility, and not being able to use Gen 4 skins out of the box (or for that matter some of the Genesis skins yet,) also really limits what you can do with G2.

• Affective ArtistryAffective Artistry Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Does V4 for Gen 2 work in Poser, meaning clothing and hair will fit? That's how I understood it from the product page but I'm not having much luck. With no readme in the files, is there a detailed tutorial for using it? Thanks.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,602
    edited December 1969

You need the DSON Importer for Poser to use those products in Poser. There also has to be DSON files for the clothing and Hair to work. If you are installing with DIM you can click on the information button and it will take you to the readme. If you don't use DIM then get the sku number and go to the documentation center and look that code up here http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start

Dim.jpg
    701 x 432 - 56K
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'm using dson importer and I can load gen2 and dial v4, it's using v4 items that I'm having trouble with. Either I'm missing a step or I'm not understanding the V4 morph to be something that will expand my use of Gen2 using V4 items.

edited December 1969

There needs to be DSON files for whatever your trying to use on the Genesis V4 shape. Those DSON files need to be installed to a writable runtime folder

edited December 1969

How is that accomplished with existing v4 items?

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Kendra said:
    How is that accomplished with existing v4 items?

You need to use DAZ Studio to auto-fit the clothes to Genesis 2, and then save Poser Companion Files for them.

edited December 1969

Boy I hate to sound high maintenance but I am having a hell of a time with studio. It's all new to me, I've done no more than open and close it until now.

I can't seem to get anything to load. I've used the importer to install and I've tried manually. I've uninstalled and re-installed studio, I've installed genesis into: user/my documents/daz3d/studio/my library as well as the public one and I still get error messages on trying to load items in studio. I'm using windows 7. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

edited December 1969

Is it not showing up in Studio or it won't load?

edited December 1969

It won't load. I get the missing file error but the file appears to be there.

edited December 1969

Kendra said:
    It won't load. I get the missing file error but the file appears to be there.

Kendra,

No one here is standing over your shoulder reading your screen, nor do any of us have psychic abilities. "The missing files error" is again too vague. Write down the error message or take a screen shot and post it here. I'm sure at least one of us here will be able to help you if you give us enough to understand exactly what's going on.

edited December 1969

Kendra said:
    Boy I hate to sound high maintenance but I am having a hell of a time with studio. It's all new to me, I've done no more than open and close it until now.

I can't seem to get anything to load. I've used the importer to install and I've tried manually. I've uninstalled and re-installed studio, I've installed genesis into: user/my documents/daz3d/studio/my library as well as the public one and I still get error messages on trying to load items in studio. I'm using windows 7. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

There is no "importer" to install things. Do you mean DIM?

edited March 2014

Yes, install manager is what I mean. Attached is what I'm getting. With other items that were not loading I had some luck with editing the preferred file (right click, database, edit preferred file). This has worked for several items. I managed to get the gen 2 male to load and I'm having luck using him but the gen 2 female simply will not load.

K-gen2error.jpg
    746 x 678 - 104K
    Post edited by Affective Artistry on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And here is a Drawback to DIM and the CMS. That Datbase shows the files in DS because the metadata has been added to the Database but the items will not LOAD if your content paths are not correct... can we see your Content Directory Manager with all expanded as shown here...

Paths.png
    444 x 365 - 51K
    edited December 1969

Are you having DIM install the products to My Library or My DAZ 3D Library?

edited December 1969

I was choosing the public, my daz 3d library. Actually I've tried every possible location until I saw that was the preferred location in the installer. Here is my content directory.

K-cd.jpg
    532 x 507 - 63K
    edited December 1969

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials

edited December 1969

Manually, probably half a dozen times. In the installer, I keep getting "download failed" for just that one file. So I've downloaded it manually and unzipped it into the above directory (among trying others). Why it won't download and install in the install manager I cannot figure out.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Kendra said:
    I was choosing the public, my daz 3d library. Actually I've tried every possible location until I saw that was the preferred location in the installer. Here is my content directory.

Looks OK, but you must set up the same path for Poser format — not all the content you install will be in native D|S format, especially not older stuff, and the way textures are stored makes them technically Poser files as well, even if they're for D|S objects. If you only set up a path for D|S format, you'll be missing big chunks out of your installed content collection, and there's a pretty good chance you'll have texture problems.
    edited December 1969

I'll try that, thanks. Thanks for the help.