3Delight renders modifying scene content aspect ratio ? And a rant about that 4.6 ram usage...

nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
edited December 1969 in The Commons

It's "every weird thing is happening on my computer again" time.

I remember reading that 4.6 uses a newer 3delight engine, and this "weird thing" seems to have started when i installed 4.6.1.117, but it's followed through to later versions, as well:

The objects in my 3delight render are wider than they are in preview. It's glaringly obvious, and I have tried multiple focal lengths to try to sort it out, but the effect, though lessened at, say 125 vs 65, is still very noticeable. There's no particular "bulbing," like at lower focal lengths, just a general widening of everything in the scene.

The aspect ratio of the scene is what I've set it to, but, for example, people and objects are wider, fatter, in the render. Side by side comparison between render window and preview viewport shows this clearly.

I don't exactly recall when this started, but "it didn't used to happen" in 4.5 and it doesn't seem to matter which 4.6 I use.

Is there some new feature or element in Daz 3delight to modify aspect ration that I'm unaware of?

Rant:

There is also the 4.6 refusal to surrender ram when scenes are cleared, but that's another story, that I really hope gets fixed. I have a standard laptop, with standard graphics, running standard Windows, but every time I create a new scene in a single session, the ram usage gets added to the last scene, until 2 or 3 scenes into a session, I have no available ram left, and have to exit or crash.

Same if I add items to a scene and then remove them; the memory they took stays unavailable. In any case, if I create a scene, note the ram usage, save it as a set, close Studio and reopen, reloading the saved set, ram usage for the set is always less than when I saved it; generally 15-20 per cent less. That's a lot of ram on my short-ram machine, and I need it, so I go through the aggravation of save-close-reopen-reload a lot.

Picking up that 250-500 mb of ram on the given scene, prior to render, makes a big difference in what render settings I can get away with without crashing.

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,667
    edited December 1969

I have a question: version of Windows are you using? I notice that windows sometimes caches some files on Windows 7 64 bit but not XP 32 bit. Memory usage on Windows XP does go down when I load a new scene in Studio 4. Sorry I couldn't hep out more.

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Thanks, starionwolf,

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit; the same OS I've had since Studio 4. There's was a very significant Studio performance upgrade in switching from OS/Studio 32 bit to OS/Studio 64 bit.

I appreciate your feedback. As I said, it's "everything weird is going on" time, for me. These two issues are only two of a number of odd performance issues happening. The aspect ratio thing in particular has me nettled, because I can't trace a cause and it affects every finished render. Sometimes, to get a reasonable image, I have to resort to lowering the x-scale in objects preview. A pain, but it works.

• Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

The focal length distortion happens for me too.

Square ratio and portrait are ok, but a landscape ratio effectively reduces the camera focal length.
    It seems to effect the perspective view too.

Edit:- I should mention that I increase the focal length of the active camera as a work around.
    A 100x10 aspect ratio needs a camera focal length of about 750mm, effectively correcting to 65mm focal length.

It really needs a bug fix though.

Post edited by Rayman29 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

nowefg said:

I appreciate your feedback. As I said, it's "everything weird is going on" time, for me. These two issues are only two of a number of odd performance issues happening. .

What else is going on...sometimes, even though it doesn't look like it at first glance, they can be related.

edited December 1969

Are you not experiencing the aspect ratio/focal length problem mjc?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:

Nope...and I'm running 4.6.2.118, too.

I've been doing quite a bit of rendering in DS (internal and export to RIB to use the standalone 3DL) and Luxrender of the same scenes lately and no differences are showing up, other than the expected ones between Lux and 3DL.

edited December 1969

This is what it looks like.

Capture1.JPG
    1389 x 682 - 112K
    Capture2.JPG
    1408 x 686 - 88K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,667
    edited December 1969

You can change the render dimensions from the menu render -> render settings dialog box.

dimensions.jpg
    435 x 593 - 73K
  • jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Rayman29 said:

Nope...and I'm running 4.6.2.118, too.

I've been doing quite a bit of rendering in DS (internal and export to RIB to use the standalone 3DL) and Luxrender of the same scenes lately and no differences are showing up, other than the expected ones between Lux and 3DL.
    You RIB export for animation?

edited March 2014

Thats not the problem though. The effective camera focal length is shortened by landscape ratios. What should happen is the aspect frame should change size and nothing else.

Perspective view shouldn't change at all

Edit:- Using Lux and Reality, just stills.

edited March 2014

Its not really a big problem though because increasing the focal length by a factor of 10 fixes the camera.

Perspective view is still distorted though.

Capture4.JPG
    1428 x 901 - 136K
    Capture3.JPG
    1430 x 743 - 111K
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited December 1969

I get the same thing with wide, flat aspect frames, but not with tall thin frames.

You may have to build your scene sideways :)

edited December 1969

prixat said:
    I get the same thing with wide, flat aspect frames, but not with tall thin frames.

You may have to build your scene sideways :)

Set your frame dimensions last, then increase the active camera focal length until your scene looks right.

Its just a work around, it fixes the camera but it doesn't fix perspective view.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

nowefg said:

There is also the 4.6 refusal to surrender ram when scenes are cleared, but that's another story, that I really hope gets fixed. I have a standard laptop, with standard graphics, running standard Windows, but every time I create a new scene in a single session, the ram usage gets added to the last scene, until 2 or 3 scenes into a session, I have no available ram left, and have to exit or crash.

Same if I add items to a scene and then remove them; the memory they took stays unavailable. In any case, if I create a scene, note the ram usage, save it as a set, close Studio and reopen, reloading the saved set, ram usage for the set is always less than when I saved it; generally 15-20 per cent less. That's a lot of ram on my short-ram machine, and I need it, so I go through the aggravation of save-close-reopen-reload a lot.

Picking up that 250-500 mb of ram on the given scene, prior to render, makes a big difference in what render settings I can get away with without crashing.

When DS purges memory hasn't changed in a long time.

I will note that there is a script, in Scripts=>Utilities named "Purge Memory" that will clear the delayed delete and undo stacks, which is included in 4.6.2.118.