Will Genesis 2 Clothing Work On Genesis 1?

DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm seeing a lot of great Genesis 2 products but I do not feel ready to move onto Genesis 2. That being said, is it possible to get Genesis 1 to work nicely with Genesis 2 clothing and accessories?

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,932
    edited December 1969

I'm seeing a lot of great Genesis 2 products but I do not feel ready to move onto Genesis 2. That being said, is it possible to get Genesis 1 to work nicely with Genesis 2 clothing and accessories?

They work perfectly if you have these two sets from Sickleyield:
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-female-clone-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-male-clone-for-genesis
  • Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited April 2014

Yes but you have to do a lot of editing of the clothing mesh itself then set it up as a completely renamed item in your content. (You actually can get any clothing to fit any character using posers tools in combination with Daz Studio. But its a long process. I managed to take clothes from a video game and put it onto Genesis 1. It really depends on your skills and what morphing programs you are using.........I use Posers cloth room to do the morphs then I import into Daz Studio and use the transfer tools in it.

and yes Those sets can also "help" with it.

Only problems you might run into is that some clothes have buttons and "Hard" objects on them that might deform, which is why I use the morphing method (More control)

Post edited by Arcane Von Oblivion on
    edited December 1969

My experience is the G2F and G2M clothes autofit perfectly well 98% of the time using Sickleyield's sets... better than Gen 4 outfits usually autofit, actually. When the buttons, etc., distort, it's quicker and simpler just to hide the buttons on the autofitted version, install a second version of the outfit that's not autofitted, manually scale and pose it to match, hide everything except the buttons and put the two together in photoshop. That doesn't work for animation, obviously, but for stills there's no reason to make things any more complex than they have to be.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited December 1969

My experience is the G2F and G2M clothes autofit perfectly well 98% of the time using Sickleyield's sets... better than Gen 4 outfits usually autofit, actually.

On the few GF2 outfits I have, I have the same great results with no editing required. I guess i should buy some more outfits to try and find an issue. That is one of the great features of genesis 1, tons of options for other gen clothing.

fits.jpg
    416 x 604 - 80K
    edited December 1969

That is one of the great features of genesis 1, tons of options for other gen clothing.

Yeah, between shaders and Genesis I was able to un-retire a huge collection of old Gen3 clothing that had been locked up in zip files for years. I do find myself using the G2's more and more these days as they seem to pose a little more naturally, but for all around versatility it's hard to beat what you can do with Genesis. Now if someone would just make Genesis shapes for my old Terai Yuki and James/Jessi/Miki stuff...
  • Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

If you are not doing animations, post work can fix up many issues as well as add folds, make clothing looser, etc. and it isn't hard to do. It just takes time.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for the answers! I think SickleYield's product would be especially helpful as I have no experience with rigging or meshing with stuff beyond using DFormers. :)

edited December 1969

you can just add bend morphs to the clothes. animation was never an issue for conforming clothes...now....dynamic clothes on the other hand...daz doesn't have

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited December 1969

you can just add bend morphs to the clothes. animation was never an issue for conforming clothes...now....dynamic clothes on the other hand...daz doesn't have

DAZ Studio, which is what I guess you mean, does have a dynamic clothing system. It does, however, require clothes specially made for it and he tools to make them are a) very expensive and b) not generally available so the number of items is fairly small.

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    That is one of the great features of genesis 1, tons of options for other gen clothing.

Yeah, between shaders and Genesis I was able to un-retire a huge collection of old Gen3 clothing that had been locked up in zip files for years. I do find myself using the G2's more and more these days as they seem to pose a little more naturally, but for all around versatility it's hard to beat what you can do with Genesis. Now if someone would just make Genesis shapes for my old Terai Yuki and James/Jessi/Miki stuff...

Those are SM figures, so I don't see that happening anytime soon. OTOH, what keeps you from using those figures in DS?
    and as to TY2?
    only the wizard wardrobe will allow use clothes V4.2 in TY2?

edited December 1969

DAZ Studio, which is what I guess you mean, does have a dynamic clothing system. It does, however, require clothes specially made for it and he tools to make them are a) very expensive and b) not generally available so the number of items is fairly small.

sorry that's what I meant

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited April 2014

ssgbryan said:

Those are SM figures, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Anything's possible. ("Likely" is another matter entirely.) Why not approach some of the other companies and individuals, and ask about Iconic Shapes for Genesis or Genesis 2? At worst, they'll say no. At best, Genesis gets new morphs.

G2 Sydney for G2F? Apollo Maximus for G2M? ChibiBel for Genesis Basic Child? Highly unlikely, but one never knows until one asks, right?

OTOH, what keeps you from using those figures in DS?
    If they're weight-mapped, the mapping might be incompatible - I haven't tried. But that's the only thing I can see that would be an obstacle.

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

I also wanted to ask, what about Genesis 2 skins? Would those be able to work on Genesis 1?

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

Those are SM figures, so I don't see that happening anytime soon. OTOH, what keeps you from using those figures in DS?
    I don't want to use the TY2 or James/Jessie figures. I want auto-fit shapes for using a lot of old poser clothing, mostly from Japanese poser sites, on Genesis 1/2 without having to do a V4 intermediate through Wardrobe Wizard. (What can I say? I've gotten really spoiled...)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

I also wanted to ask, what about Genesis 2 skins? Would those be able to work on Genesis 1?

If you have V5/M5, or V4 for G2F/M4 for G2M, you can use Map Transfer in DS to convert Genesis 2 skins to G1.

edited December 1969

Thank you... Is map transfer something automatic? Or something I have to do in DAZ as a process?