Similar PCs...Not so similar performance

MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have two Intel I7 computers that both run DAZ3D, but one of them is extraordinarily slow for some reason. What makes this weird is the fact that the faster of the two machines runs the worst. It has a faster processor, more memory and a better video card...but sometimes it's so slow that I can barely rotate the scene. Is there something about the faster PC that would cause it to run DAZ3D so poorly? I'm thinking it's the video card, but I can play Crysis 3 in HD at full speed on the faster machine so I have no idea why the DAZ3D interface is acting this way. Rendering is not affected and both have the same DAZ3D preferences.

PC 1 (interface runs ok):
Windows 7 Pro
Intel I7 2.93 ghz
8 GB memory
Nvidia Quadro FX 580 (512MB)

PC 2 (interface runs awful):
Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel I7 3.4 ghz
12 GB memory
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 (1024 MB)

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

Have you looked into your processes to see if anything unusual is sucking up your RAM.

• MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Have you looked into your processes to see if anything unusual is sucking up your RAM.

Yes. DAZ3D is sucking up almost 7 GB of RAM.

• Alpha ChannelAlpha Channel Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

You'd be surprised at what that Quadro will do to performance in something like DS. It's OpenGL drivers are far, far more optimised than those of the 560 hence the reason why you pay so much more for a Quadro or FireGL card with a lower scale GPU core in comparison to a consumer card at a similar price point. Not to mention that Win7 Ultimate add's a load more stuff into the mix that most people generally don't utilise (bit locker and language packs to name but two).

I'd also run a few progs in the form of Spybot S&D, Disk Cleanup and Ccleaner to clear out the clutter (temp files being a big hitter when it comes to performance if there's enough of them).

Edit - 7GB? blimey that's a fair old hit, nothing in the scene I take it?

Post edited by Alpha Channel on
    edited April 2014

You'd be surprised at what that Quadro will do to performance in something like DS. It's OpenGL drivers are far, far more optimised than those of the 560 hence the reason why you pay so much more for a Quadro or FireGL card with a lower scale GPU core in comparison to a consumer card at a similar price point. Not to mention that Win7 Ultimate add's a load more stuff into the mix that most people generally don't utilise (bit locker and language packs to name but two).

I'd also run a few progs in the form of Spybot S&D, Disk Cleanup and Ccleaner to clear out the clutter (temp files being a big hitter when it comes to performance if there's enough of them).

Edit - 7GB? blimey that's a fair old hit, nothing in the scene I take it?

Ah. I never thought of the OpenGL drivers being the culprit. I just assumed that a video card capable of running graphic intensive games would be more than enough to run DAZ3D. Who knew that a $95 Quadro would beat out a $150 Geforce. Guess it's time to upgrade. Thanks A.C.

Post edited by MikeyFTL on
  • Alpha ChannelAlpha Channel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The 560 should be good enough, nVidia have traditionally had better OpenGL drivers than ATI/AMD on their consumer cards. I have zero trouble with DS or Poser, 3DS Max 2014, Vue Infinite 11, etc... and I'm packing a 7870... mind you, my machine's also host to a 3930K and 64GB of RAM though my point still stands as I had little issue when running a Q6600, 8GB and a 7870/5870.

There's one easy way to see if it is the card though - you could swap the cards over and see if that makes a difference. I'd still put good money on the difference being in the drivers alone (even though in out and out horsepower the 560 should whup the Quadro).

edited December 1969

The 560 should be good enough, nVidia have traditionally had better OpenGL drivers than ATI/AMD on their consumer cards. I have zero trouble with DS or Poser, 3DS Max 2014, Vue Infinite 11, etc... and I'm packing a 7870... mind you, my machine's also host to a 3930K and 64GB of RAM though my point still stands as I had little issue when running a Q6600, 8GB and a 7870/5870.

There's one easy way to see if it is the card though - you could swap the cards over and see if that makes a difference. I'd still put good money on the difference being in the drivers alone (even though in out and out horsepower the 560 should whup the Quadro).

You'd think it would whoop the Quadro....but it isn't. Has anyone heard of any 3rd party Nvidia drivers that may boost OpenGL performance?

edited December 1969

I'm running the GTX 570 2.5GB RAM with 32GB system RAM and the wife has the GTX 580 1.5GB RAM with 16GB system RAM and both run great. I'm not sure what the difference is with the 560

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

MikeyFTL said:

You'd think it would whoop the Quadro....but it isn't. Has anyone heard of any 3rd party Nvidia drivers that may boost OpenGL performance?
    But the 560 already has an OpenGL to 4.3,
    Here System Requirements for daz studio
    WHQL-certified 64
    Intel Xeon / Core 2 Duo or Quad / Core i7 or AMD Opteron / Phenom processor (s)
    Windows 8, 7 & Vista (Windows 8 or 7 is recommended)
    2 GB RAM min (3GB + RAM recommended)
    1GB free hard drive space for installation
    Hardware accelerated OpenGL 1.6 compatible graphics card with at least 512 MB ​​RAM (OpenGL 2.2, or higher, compatible recommended)
    http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-tech-specs/
    DirectX 9 (used for audio processing only)

edited December 1969

Only thing I can think is the Win 7 Ultimate is doing something different than Win 7 Pro. Maybe not handling the information the same

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

MikeyFTL said:
    I have two Intel I7 computers that both run DAZ3D, but one of them is extraordinarily slow for some reason. What makes this weird is the fact that the faster of the two machines runs the worst. It has a faster processor, more memory and a better video card...but sometimes it's so slow that I can barely rotate the scene. Is there something about the faster PC that would cause it to run DAZ3D so poorly? I'm thinking it's the video card, but I can play Crysis 3 in HD at full speed on the faster machine so I have no idea why the DAZ3D interface is acting this way. Rendering is not affected and both have the same DAZ3D preferences.

Windows 7 Pro
    Intel I7 2.93 ghz
    8 GB memory

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Intel I7 3.4 ghz
    12 GB memory

you loads more characters, more scenarios 3d on PC "faster" than the PC Intel I7 2.93 ghz?
    hdd both have the same rpm?
    the motherboard is the fastest, able to exploit the full power of the processor?
    I have computers in my signature
    however the slave CPU is only to serve as a help in renders via network.
    But the main cpu with 32gb of ram memories and a gtx 560, light works in poser to 5 characters (genesis, M4, V4) ...
    10 or 12/15 characters, the scene in Poser Pro 2012 is too heavy to move it
    when I move the scene (12 characters or more) out pounding the scene, not flowing as it should. this is because the amount of characters that surpasses more than 2.5 million points / vertices etc.
    it is cumbersome to transfer in only 190bits, which is my GTX560
    yet even the GTX560 with 1gb of ram ... But however 190bits ... It would be worse if it was 128bits
    at least that's what I think ... I could be totally wrong
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

MikeyFTL said:
    Ah. I never thought of the OpenGL drivers being the culprit. I just assumed that a video card capable of running graphic intensive games would be more than enough to run DAZ3D.

Remember, those drivers do need to be checked regularly to see if there's an updated version. A high-power card with old drivers having less poly-pushing oomph than a lower powered card with current drivers isn't at all implausible. It's definitely pretty common for a simple video card driver update to fix all kinds of unusual D|S problems.
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

MikeyFTL said:

Windows 7 Pro
    Intel I7 2.93 ghz
    8 GB memory

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Intel I7 3.4 ghz
    12 GB memory

My bet is the W7 Ultimate. A lot of garbage can be loaded there.

DS doesn't leverage the extra power of the Quadro and the OpenGL drivers aren't that much better under Windoze.

Try setting the Windoze Desktop to basic legacy mode (turn off all of the excess eye candy) and see if the performance levels out.

Kendall

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Try setting the Windoze Desktop to basic legacy mode (turn off all of the excess eye candy) and see if the performance levels out.

That's a very good point — I use my computer to run D|S, not so I can have a "pretty" desktop, so the first thing I did when I got my Win7 computer was to find all the identifiable parts of the Aero "pretty" interface and switch them off. IIRC that was one of the main drivers behind all Windows versions after XP pretty much mandating getting a new computer. The system overhead for the "pretty" really was that big.
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited December 1969

Enterprise is the same as Ultimate except for the business only licencing.

I've run DS on Win 7 Enterprise with a nVidia 550Ti and it whizzed along with full Aero.
    The 'corporate extras' in these versions have to be activated they're not on by default.

Are you on the latest nVidia Geforce Experience?

Using the new Beta with PostgreS might be a way to eliminate the old CMS from the equation.

edited May 2014

prixat said:
    Enterprise is the same as Ultimate except for the business only licencing.

I've run DS on Win 7 Enterprise with a nVidia 550Ti and it whizzed along with full Aero.
    The 'corporate extras' in these versions have to be activated they're not on by default.

Are you on the latest nVidia Geforce Experience?

Using the new Beta with PostgreS might be a way to eliminate the old CMS from the equation.

Yes, I have the latest Geforce Experience. I always have the latest video drivers installed. If you look at the pictures on the next page, you can see that the Geforce doesn't even display the interface objects the same. It's really crappy.

edited May 2014

MikeyFTL said:
    Enterprise is the same as Ultimate except for the business only licencing. I've run DS on Win 7 Enterprise with a nVidia 550Ti and it whizzed along with full Aero.
    The 'corporate extras' in these versions have to be activated they're not on by default. Are you on the latest nVidia Geforce Experience? Using the new Beta with PostgreS might be a way to eliminate the old CMS from the equation.

Yes, I have the latest Geforce Experience. I always have the latest video drivers installed. If you look at the pictures on the next page, you can see that the Geforce doesn’t even display the interface objects the same. It’s really crappy.

geforce.jpg
    719 x 587 - 529K
    edited May 2014

The lag is so bad with the Geforce that it looks like streaming video from the 90s. I can barely rotate the scene. What's worse is the Quadro is using OpenGL 3.3 while the Geforce is using OpenGL 4.3.

quadro.jpg
    719 x 587 - 381K
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited December 1969

That looks like anti-aliasing is turned off.

Is hardware acceleration turned off somewhere? either within DS or in windows itself.

edited December 1969

prixat said:
    That looks like anti-aliasing is turned off.

Is hardware acceleration turned off somewhere? either within DS or in windows itself.

Nope. Both machines have the same exact settings in Preferences.

daz3d_prefs.jpg
    648 x 662 - 79K
  • Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Using G Force Experience its probably loading beta game drivers. Seems like a dirty open gl implementation where driver is optimized for performance not adherence to spec it appears. I find greater stability with even low end workstation cards compared to over juiced game cards. They get too darn hot 24 hours into a render....