Stephanie 5 or 6

TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

With the extra 7% off (yes, some of us can count! ;)) I'm contemplating the possibly rash addition of Stephanie to my runtime. The question though is whether to go for Genesis or Genesis 2. Price isn't really a factor, since both seem to be priced the same.

I'll be using this mostly with Carrara 8.5 (which is why I'm asking in the Carrara forum), so I'm particularly interested in factors that would be affected by Carrara as opposed to Studio.

I do have a small amount of Genesis - basically just what came bundled with Carrara - the V5 and M5 pro bundles, and Teen Justin / Julie (which I had previously bought under the misapprehension that they would work in Poser), so whether these can be used on a G2 figure might well be a factor.

Anyhow, other than the addition of a "2", I have no real idea of the differences between G and G2, so I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Ta. :-)

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Tough choice. Even tougher now they seem to have updated Genesis to make it work even nicer in Carrara. Genesis 2 female certainly cannot be ignored. It's all in the shape ;)

I would like to say, as an owner of S4, 5, & 6, that I have been very happy that I added the S series to my collection. S4 came with a pile of goodness that added to my main heroine character morphs that I use for animations of muscle movements and such.

I've been on a really tight budget lately, so a lot of my usual DAZ 3D shopping sprees have been cut short. But I tend to beg a little harder when these new morphs and shapes come out - they help me big time in my stuff. But nobody has really seen what that is yet! :lol:

edited December 1969

I also bought Ringo's Stephanie 6 Skin Shaders Kit, which is very nice!
    The link lead to his bundle promo... if you dig through the forum deeper than I did, you should be able to find his thread specific to Stephanie 6, where he'll have a lot more renders. Gotta love Ringo Renders!

edited December 1969

I have been so impressed with the newer Genesis 2 figure that I've been ignoring Genesis for a while - completely by accident. To help to answer some Genesis questions, however, I've loaded him, her... it into Carrara and have been very happy messing with it, just like before... but even more than I remembered.

I am bummed that I still do not own the V4 for Genesis 2 and M4 for Genesis 2 products. I have all of the gen 4 to Genesis products, and they really make autofit work nicely for using generation 4 clothing, which I have the most of right now. But I am so very impressed with the new Genesis 2 figures, just not overly impressed with what's available for clothing them just yet. While Genesis has even more selection, I think it will take some time to get even a smidgeon of what's available for generation 4 figures. So now I'm exploring the techniques of making my own clothing for Genesis 2 figures... and I've so far been considering that a bit of a blessing and a curse. While the modeling practice is very fun, it's also using up time that I don't really have to spend... so I have so far only gotten so far with any one clothing project. Instead of continuing with one of those, I often start a new idea... and so it goes. The process of taking the model made in Carrara into DS Pro and converting it into conforming clothing is not only fairly simple and fast, but it's very fun as well. Fairly painless, too!

So, knowing that, I'd imaging we could bring in other clothing, made for other figures and, instead of trying to auto-fit them, edit them in the assemble room to fit the base Genesis 2 figure, and run it through the process. Probably work loads better than an auto algorithm could do - even though that process is pretty amazing! :)

Sorry... just thought I'd share what goes through my head when making such difficult decisions.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I've got a bunch of V4 stuff that I picked up from Rendo in their Christmas sale. But I'm not really impressed with V4 - particularly it doesn't bend well even though there's tons of stuff for it. It's not so much a case of whether it can auto fit to G1 or `G2 - even I I get S6, I'll still have the V5 (and M5) characters to clothe.

I don't have the V5 elite morphs, which are supposedly required for the Gabi character that came with the V5 pack (why include something in a bundle and don't supply the prerequisites - that doesn't make sense!) There do seem to be G2 morph packs, but the Stephanie characters I looked at don't seem to indicate a dependency.

I think I'm veering more towards S6 than S5, if only to have a bigger spread of technologies...

edited December 1969

Sounds like a sound decision. Yeah, it kind of bugged me to discover that Gabi required the Evolution Morphs bundle, but were'nt included in the bundle! Oh well, I guess. In DS it's not such a huge deal, but even if you save her in DS, after applying the gabi shape file, it must still try to add those shapes which you don't have installed, which, I believe, is what was making Carrara sit for ages... finally to be shut of by task manager > End Process! Argh! Hate doing that!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Tim

The "Gabi" character uses the "Elite morphs" to create the Body and Face shapes,.. but you can still apply the character to add the textures, without the morphs.

You should also be able to use Genesis figures in Poser 9 and above, using the DSON format in poser. Genesis won;t work in anything below Poser 9.

:)

edited December 1969

Yeah, I had Poser 10. Poor purchasing choice I think now. And "work" is something that seems to be very loosely defined when it applies to Genesis in P10. Yes it would load the figure. With some effort you could add clothing. If you had the patience of a saint, you *might* be able to pose it, but the chances were high that it would crash or just spin the limb you clicked on into some wildly aberrant position, or simply do nothing. Of course that was after having to wait *minutes* to see which would happen. Each time, every click. Drove me potty, so I dumped Genesis very quickly. At least until I got Carrara.

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

The link lead to his bundle promo... if you dig through the forum deeper than I did, you should be able to find his thread specific to Stephanie 6, where he'll have a lot more renders. Gotta love Ringo Renders!

Thank you Dartanbeck,

This render that I just finished is of Victoria 6 with Sci-Fi Siren Outfit. Carrara shaders, render with Indirect Lighting.

Victoria6_Sci_Fi_Siren.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 370K
    edited December 1969

Regarding the image: Ouch! Whew! Yikes! Is it HOT in here?

Thank you Dartanbeck,

This render that I just finished is of Victoria 6 with Sci-Fi Siren Outfit. Carrara shaders, render with Indirect Lighting.No, Ringo... Thank YOU!!! ;)

edited December 1969

Looks great Ringo. I have your G2F shaders on my wish list :)