Can two computers access the same runtime?

GranvilleGranville Posts: 690
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am considering adding another computer to my stable. They would both access the same runtime via a network shared drive. While one is rendering, I could be setting up another scene on the second computer. Will this actually work? I'm trying to speed up production.

Comments

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I can't see why it wouldn't

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited May 2014

you can even run 2 daz studios on the same PC using the same scene file...
    ** Evidence on image Below **

Captura.JPG
    1919 x 1079 - 296K
    Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

As long as only one computer saves files to the Runtime at a time, you should be fine. (Depending on the hardware and software behind the network drive, even this might not be an issue - but the two Runtimes absolutely cannot write to the same exact file at the same time.)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Just to add to this, there comes a problem with Smart Content, i.e. the CMS. Probably only one will have a valid CMS, really. I'm looking forward to hacking the CMS a little bit (specifying a port that forwards to a Postgres server under my control) when they switch fully to Postgres, but I don't know if that'll work.

That said, I use Dropbox to synchronize 'My Library' and my scene files among three systems (two at home, one at work) and it works gangbusters.

-- Morgan

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Something has occurred to me. How much overhead is generated by the second Daz Studio session? If I'm doing a render with one session and creating some shader presets in the second, will the second session appreciably slow down the render?

Cheers,

Alex.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Right now when I render all 8 cores whir along. The computer slows to the point of being unusable. So a second instance of DAZ studio on the same computer would not solve my problem. I thought I could work on two different scenes with two different cpus. Out of caution, I would not use scenes with the same obj files.

Another option, if you have unlimited hard drive space and dropbox.com business (unlimited cloud space) would be to sync two content libraries on the two systems. This has the advantage of providing a backup.

Thanks for the help. I am going to get a new rig from Puget Systems for mothers day.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Happy Mom's Day

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited May 2014

Greetings,

Thanks for the help. I am going to get a new rig from Puget Systems for mothers day.
    Cool; happy Mother's Day! They build excellent systems. All my PC desktops are from them, and I have one that's still running after almost 9 years.

The Dropbox solution has worked for me with a 200GB runtime.

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on