OT - Zip Program for Mac?

Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561
edited May 2014 in The Commons

I'm having a hard time finding a good zip program for my mac. Anyone have a recommendation? Doesn't matter if it costs or if it's free. I'd like one where I can see the contents of the zip and then choose to add the contents to my runtime.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by Muon Quark on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The only one for Mac that I have heard of is Stuffit Expander (sit).

There is a Windows version as well, but it was originally a Mac application. Smith Micro make it, it should be easy enough to find.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,619
    edited December 1969

I'm having a hard time finding a good zip program for my mac. Anyone have a recommendation? Doesn't matter if it costs or if it's free. I'd like one where I can see the contents of the zip and then choose to add the contents to my runtime.

Thanks in advance.

I use Stuffit, but there is also Winzip for Mac, eventually. They are both good.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I use The Unarchiver. It's available from the Mac app store, or here is the developer's site: http://unarchiver.c3.cx (Stuffit is on the app store too)

When it comes to adding stuff to my runtimes, I use Folder Sync, again in the App store. or see http://www.destek.co.uk That also maintains my runtimes across two Macs.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561
    edited May 2014

Thanks for the replies. I saw Winzip in the app store but it's like $30. It's getting stuff from the zip into the runtime folder that's a problem. Seems OSX will only give you the option to Replace content when trying to extract to a folder with the same name. Looks like Folder Sync might be an option. I don't understand why it's so hard to merge folders on a mac.

Any other tips for getting files into the runtime? I'm looking at Folder Sync right now.

EDIT to add: I currently have the Archiver.

Post edited by Muon Quark on
  • estheresther Posts: 618
    edited December 1969

semideiu's advanced library manager can install your zips where you want them in poser. But I just unzip the folder then I use an application called ditto to merge this into which ever runtime I want it merged into or I just attach it to poser as one of my 100s of external runtimes. That way i have all the mats for the thing with the thing. ie if it was an add on for a particular hair I would merge the add-on with the hair runtime, otherwise if it is just some outfit it has its own runtime. I use advanced library manager to search when i want something. e.g. I type in office and all my external runtime with the word office in the title instantly show up and then I can select the one or ones I want to look at.
    Love esther

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies. I saw Winzip in the app store but it's like $30. It's getting stuff from the zip into the runtime folder that's a problem. Seems OSX will only give you the option to Replace content when trying to extract to a folder with the same name. Looks like Folder Sync might be an option. I don't understand why it's so hard to merge folders on a mac.

Any other tips for getting files into the runtime? I'm looking at Folder Sync right now.

EDIT to add: I currently have the Archiver.

There's also "BetterZip" for $19.99, which also allows you to merge the zip contents with the Runtime.

-- Walt Sterdan

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

Will check all those out, thanks. It's been a few years since I had a mac and I'm remembering the good with the bad. LOL

Thanks.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Most Macs in the recent memory come with Archive, it is a native zip and unzip compression utility.

• greysgreys Posts: 335
    edited December 1969

Seconding BetterZip (http://macitbetter.com/). It's cheaper from the developer's store than the Mac App store (at least, where I live).

They also have a free Quick Look addon that lets you view the contents of zips by hitting space: http://macitbetter.com/BetterZip-Quick-Look-Generator/ The UI's a little outdated, but it works. :)