Problem with NLA clips

deadspeakdeadspeak Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been creating NLA clips & having problems when applying them to models. Once I apply clip, either the hot point or the model will jump to a different position in the scene, usually to the coordinates where the clip was created or sometimes to a random XYZ. I've done the Match Previous Position but it still does this random position change, it doesn't happen with all the clips, only a couple. Are clips supposed to be created at the 0,0 position?
Thanks Chris

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

It all depends upon the actual creation of the animation that is saved to a clip.
    Here is one small example:
    For a walk cycle, we often use the 'hip' bone to move the figure along in any direction besides 0. If you switch between the Hip and the actual model base, you'll mess up the ability to match things up correctly - always use the same process for all animations if you want them to match up later. I use the Hip as an example because all of the walk cycles and aniBlock animations you might buy are using the Hip for translation. The Hot Point of the figure will often stay at it's original starting point. If you want to move the figure and still use NLA Clips, put it into a new group of it's own: Select the Figure and type Ctrl G, and then name the group. Now select this new group and you can position it without messing with the animations.

I hope this helps you out... I think it will. But if I'm way off track, let me know and we'll help further.

• deadspeakdeadspeak Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Ok I think I understand
    I thought i was using the hip to create the clips, but i might not have been.
    I will try the group figure & see how that works, will let you know.
    Thanks

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

One little bugger that I did a few times at first was to accidentally move the figure by selecting the figure itself, instead of the hip. Sometimes it's just easier. But when you want to make clips that can be matched to other clips, we have to make sure we don't do that :)

The "Group" thing works excellent. Here's an quick example of what I meant about that:

Let's say that I want my character to walk a ways in a straight line and then round a corner. After making the clips and adding them to the figure, I have it working, but the figure now needs to be moved and rotated into a new position in the scene. I cannot just move the scene elements, because I have other people set up already doing other things, and I still have more walking folks to add as well. How do I move the character into place?

In the right Instances panel, I select the character and go Edit > Group (Cntrl G, Cmd G for Mac)

This simply places the character into a group. If you have lights and such that need to move when you move the character, put all of that stuff in the group as well. Name the group to make it recognizable.

Now since I know where I need the character to be at the 3 second mark on the timeline, because that's where he'll turn his corner, I skip ahead to 3 seconds in the timeline.

Now I move and rotate the new group to where I need it to be at that point in time.

Now I delete the keyframe at frame 0 on the timeline for that new group, and slide the new keyframe from the 3 second mark back to the 0 frame.

Now at frame zero, your character begins the walk and ends up where you need it to at three seconds where it starts to walk around the corner! Works great and is super fast to set up! :)