Memory leaks and black dots.

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I thought I'd make an image that has all my finished outfits to date in it but quickly discovered that my poor meagre laptop simply doesn't have what it takes to handle that many polygons at once so I had to give up partway through my catalogue because it became too slow and tedious to move the stuff around my screens. So I rendered what I could at once and noticed something weird in the render.

On the figures with uncovered heads there's these series of black dots just behind the crown of the head. They show up on multiple angles so it's not a lighting anomaly particular to one position. I've not really rendered many bald, untextured Genesis figures before so I've never noticed the black dots before. Are they artifacts of my lighting or artifacts of topology?

Also, after I rendered the scene and quit Daz Studio my computer was still running slowly like it was when I burdened it with all those polygons. Are there any known memory leak problems with Daz Studio? I ended up having to reboot my computer in order to return it to working condition.

ghastlys_outfits_1.jpg
1250 x 1000 - 741K

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio can keep itself Resident I have noticed. This often happens when I push it very hard. I think the Free Mem and clear Stack just fails and it holds DS open until killed with Task Manager on my Win PC. Not seen the dot issue before though.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited December 1969

If you've got a light positioned low and parallel to the ground that might be just the right angle to cause some self shadowing.
    Changing the shadow bias of that light might the answer.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    DAZ Studio can keep itself Resident I have noticed. This often happens when I push it very hard. I think the Free Mem and clear Stack just fails and it holds DS open until killed with Task Manager on my Win PC. Not seen the dot issue before though.

Okee dokee. I'd say this was the hardest I've pushed Daz on my poor wee laptop. Now that I know more about topology I should revisit my low poly Genesis proxy that I tried to build oh so long ago.

If you've got a light positioned low and parallel to the ground that might be just the right angle to cause some self shadowing.
    Changing the shadow bias of that light might the answer.

I believe that's pretty much what I had for my key light in this shot. Good to know.