Ennis house Walkthough Video and Furniture modelling thread

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited September 2014 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,

I fell in love with Ennis house when I realized that 1) It was used in Blade Runner and 2) It's such a beautiful piece of architecture throughout.

I'm remaking the show rooms for use in the Sci Fi Funk animated adventure. Some of the furniture I'm trying to replicate. Here is one of the two lounge chairs that photographers like to take pictures of.

I made it from a mixture of the old Medieval Furniture and Dream House DAZ products.

Tutorials :-
Lounge Chair - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehOh2jFyYdI
Lounge Table - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAmfpVS3vNc
Lamp-stand - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFE744gV7Gk

[EDIT] Video is in production now (a 3 mins 16 secs animation), preview pics further down the thread[/EDIT]

ENNIS_HOUSE_Lounge_Chair.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 1M
Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on

Comments

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Now I've finished the table which sits between these chairs.

Tutorial to follow tomorrow.

ENNIS_HOUSE_Lounge_Chairs_and_Table.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Very nice, Steve.
    I'd love it even more with a bit less soft in the shadows to give them a bit more definition of the shape of the furniture, while keeping a small amount of softness. But that's only 'picky-style' constructive criticism, and perhaps you wanted them to be that soft - in which case, just disregard that last comment! LOL

But I really like the furniture. Looks great!

edited December 1969

Very nice, Steve.
    I'd love it even more with a bit less soft in the shadows to give them a bit more definition of the shape of the furniture, while keeping a small amount of softness. But that's only 'picky-style' constructive criticism, and perhaps you wanted them to be that soft - in which case, just disregard that last comment! LOL

But I really like the furniture. Looks great!

Hi there Dartan,

To be honest I didn't think about it, I saw there was a shadow and given the time I thought "that'l do" lol.
    atm. Just focussing on the modelling. Would love to get as close as possible to the real thing without spending a lifetime trying to do so.

Cheers man.

edited December 1969

I figured as much. That's why I almost didn't mention anything about the darned shadows.
    The modeling looks really cool! Love the textures too!

edited December 1969

I figured as much. That's why I almost didn't mention anything about the darned shadows.

he he he. More tomorrow.

edited December 1969

he he he. More tomorrow.
    Sweet!
    As always, my friend... Thanks for sharing!

edited December 1969

Table model tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAmfpVS3vNc

Next up (tomorrow) the Lamp-stand and Lampshade

ENNIS_HOUSE_Lounge_Chairs_Table_and_Lamplight.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 898K
    edited June 2014

ENNIS HOUSE - Lounge - Coffee table.

Pretty faithful reproduction, but could do with sorting out the skew on the edges of the tables uvmapping, not perfect, but will do for now.

Lounge_Coffee_Table.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited December 1969

Sofa - It's an approximation.

Alas my lack of uvmapping skills and modelling skills (cut outs) mean I can't do a full job on this. Deadline was dinner time, that was a while back (*ahem*).

ENNIS_HOUSE_Sofa.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 818K
    edited December 1969

Added the Lampstand (type 1) Tutorial today.

Lamp-stand - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFE744gV7Gk

• sakshi.sinhasakshi.sinha Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Nice work and like the texture effects and animation.

edited December 1969

Nice work and like the texture effects and animation.

Many thanks. When the Octane Plug in works with CTRL-D (duplicate) replication I hope to show the entire house in that Renderer.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Man, you have been busy! Nothing like a man on a mission... Great modelling work, and great that you are sharing your modelling methods too.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Man, you have been busy! Nothing like a man on a mission... Great modelling work, and great that you are sharing your modelling methods too.

Yes indeed. I'm motivated by the need to get this film to production while there is still time/opportunity.

Talking of which I'm kinda stymied on the Octane side of things until this CTRL-D instancing is sorted. I can compensate for the rest of the year (by continuing with the modelling), but after that I'll have to render things in Carrara native and not Octance which would be a terrible shame.

Don't suppose you could influence Simon to fix that in the next release could you? It would certainly get me out of a bind.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Yes indeed. I'm motivated by the need to get this film to production while there is still time/opportunity.

Talking of which I'm kinda stymied on the Octane side of things until this CTRL-D instancing is sorted. I can compensate for the rest of the year (by continuing with the modelling), but after that I'll have to render things in Carrara native and not Octance which would be a terrible shame.

Don't suppose you could influence Simon to fix that in the next release could you? It would certainly get me out of a bind.

Well this is something that I would be keen to get as well, so between us we may be able to push for it sooner rather than later. I'll see what I can do.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Well this is something that I would be keen to get as well, so between us we may be able to push for it sooner rather than later. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks my friend.

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited August 2014

Happy to be counted in the votes if needed, could help me a lot too ;)

PS: I have a real nice ENNIS house HDRI, cant remember where I found it originally but its in my HDRI folder now :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZEFHeXNig&feature=youtu.be

Post edited by Orion_Uk on
    edited December 1969

Orion_Uk said:
    Happy to be counted in the votes if needed, could help me a lot too ;)

PS: I have a real nice ENNIS house HDRI, cant remember where I found it originally but its in my HDRI folder now :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZEFHeXNig&feature=youtu.be

re: vote. Yes please if you could let sighman know.

re: the clip. He he. Thanks for the shout buddy.

An Ennis house HDRI? I'm nearly falling over! Would love to get a hold of that some time.

edited December 1969

There's an Ennis House HDRI here:
    http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Data/HighResProbes/

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

triffic work sci fi :) thanks for the tuts!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    There's an Ennis House HDRI here:
    http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Data/HighResProbes/

Phil!

Just made my day. Thanks a lot.

:)

edited December 1969

Ennis house video. Now in production with the Octane Plug in.

Preview Pic #1

Ennis-house-Preview-Pic-#1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Ouch, that Rocks!
    Sorry that I haven't had much internet time lately, Steve. Throughout the madness I saw several new video tutorials of yours that I've missed out on, both in watching as well as adding them to links in your Carraraist sections. Argh!
    BTW, have you seen any good deals on 'time' lately? I seem to be losing more and more each day!

edited December 1969

Ouch, that Rocks!
    Sorry that I haven't had much internet time lately, Steve. Throughout the madness I saw several new video tutorials of yours that I've missed out on, both in watching as well as adding them to links in your Carraraist sections. Argh!
    BTW, have you seen any good deals on 'time' lately? I seem to be losing more and more each day!

Thanks man.

Re: Time in my mid 20s I observed that "Time is the great enemy". That was a couple of decades ago. Plus you don't know how many days the Good Lord will give you on this earth, so better use them wisely!

Yeah. The only thing on time that I can add is that one way of escaping (or part-escaping) the rat race is to want for less, so you don't have to earn so much. Then time becomes at least an occasional friend :)