Crash when I want to find a file in Carrara

JamyJamy Posts: 192
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi, a long time without discussion, but to much work and to hard language for me. (but every day I had a look to the forum)

Today I've a big problem with Carrara:
if i open a Carrara file and if carrara don't find a texture or a mesh, a new window is open to find it, but when I write the first letter of this file, Carrara Crash.
I've uninstall Carrara and try with a new one, but Carrar crash again

Could you help me pleased ?

Regards

A chaque fois que Carrara recherche une texture, il suffit que je tape la première lettre du fichier à rechercher dans la fenêtre pour que le logiciel plante.

Comments

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

My system is Mac OS 10.9.3

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

To make sure I understand, you open a file and Carrara doesn't know where it is, then Carrara opens a window and asks you to locate the file? When you begin to type, Carrara crashes? How does it crash? Does it freeze, or does Carrara quit unexpectedly?

edited December 1969

To make sure I understand, you open a file and Carrara doesn't know where it is, then Carrara opens a window and asks you to locate the file? When you begin to type, Carrara crashes? How does it crash? Does it freeze, or does Carrara quit unexpectedly?

Hi,

You know, when you change the place of a texture, when you open Carrara, you must locate it.

when I try to locate this file, most of the time, I just write the first letter and Carrara Crash. Freeze or quit, it's depend of the time.

edited December 1969

What if you were to press cancel instead? Does Carrara still crash?

edited December 1969

No crash when I press cancel

edited December 1969

Does it happen with any file, or is it with pre-made figures like, V4 or Genesis?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to isolate possible cause of the problem.

edited December 1969

It's with any figure. I've make a test with a simple cube and a very small JPG texture.

Then, I quit Carrara and I put this texture in a new folder

When I open the Carrara file, Carrara ask me to locate this JPG and when I writ the first letter Carrar crash

edited December 1969

The same when I want to locate in the texture room

Capture_d’écran_2014-07-04_à_18_33_11_pdf.jpg
    978 x 553 - 259K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I've never tried using Spotlight in that situation. I recently had the circumstance after I renamed the folder. I just browed to the new location using the list on the left. Once it found the first one, getting to the same place again for further files is just a matter of going straight to the recent folders drop down ("Bureau" on your screenshot).

Other times I just pressed Cancel and reassigned the texture from the shader editor.

I'll try typing in the Spotlight box tonight when I get home.

(also 10.9.3)

edited December 1969

I don't use Mavericks, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I can use the find feature in Carrara 7.2 Pro with OS X 10.4 .11 and 10.5. Since you're moving these files, I assume that you know where you're moving them to? Maybe just navigate to them?

I would still file a bug report for this issue if it is reproducible. I'm not sure if it's a Carrara issue or a Finder issue. Obviously the Finder and Carrara are having a conflict with each other on some level.

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    I've never tried using Spotlight in that situation. I recently had the circumstance after I renamed the folder. I just browed to the new location using the list on the left. Once it found the first one, getting to the same place again for further files is just a matter of going straight to the recent folders drop down ("Bureau" on your screenshot).

Other times I just pressed Cancel and reassigned the texture from the shader editor.

(also 10.9.3)

Sometime I don't know where are the files, so it's very useful to use Spotlight. Never had problem with 10.6.8

edited December 1969

I don't use Mavericks, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I can use the find feature in Carrara 7.2 Pro with OS X 10.4 .11 and 10.5. Since you're moving these files, I assume that you know where you're moving them to? Maybe just navigate to them?

I would still file a bug report for this issue if it is reproducible. I'm not sure if it's a Carrara issue or a Finder issue. Obviously the Finder and Carrara are having a conflict with each other on some level.

Yes, I think it's a conflict. Spotlight works well alone

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Ok, I've tried it with Spotlight, and no crash. So I guess it's something particular to your setup. Sorry :(

edited December 1969

Tim,
    thank you for this try.

I really want to find a solution.

Maybe try again to uninstal Carrara ?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

(also 10.9.3)

I must admit, I've never tried using that search box either. Like Tim, I either locate the file or I just cancel out and reassign.
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Hi Jamy,
    it's a stupid tip, but did you try to serch the file from folder and click on it without write the name file?

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

(also 10.9.3)

I must admit, I've never tried using that search box either. Like Tim, I either locate the file or I just cancel out and reassign.

I've used it before, but haven't had any crashes because of it. That's why I was asking all the questions.

edited December 1969

pimpy said:

Hi Jamy,
    it's a stupid tip, but did you try to serch the file from folder and click on it without write the name file?

As I said, sometime I don't know where is the file. By exemple: I've purchase TP Lightdomes, but When I open a carrara file make with a computer, it's not easy to locate a lightsource on an other one computer (a new Mac) or sometime it's a very old file and I don't remember where are the textures sources.

So, it's very useful to use Spotlight integrated in Carrara.

But I could use the Spotlight on the desk (the finder) and then come back in Carrara and choose the good folder, but it's longer

edited December 1969

I've used it before, but haven't had any crashes because of it. That's why I was asking all the questions.

Same for me, never had this problem before !

I've just buy a very big powerful super Mac … but… the best is the enemy of the good ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

carrara has coped using the search box for me but is a bit dodgey can freeze
    I prefer to seach in windows explorer first then browse straight there
    other programs I have used nearly always crash or freeze up doing it too so by no means unique to carrara.