Looking for Jughead's hat

areg5areg5 Posts: 617
edited October 2020 in Product Suggestions

I am looking for a model of Jughead's hat. You know the one. Looks like a crown.

Post edited by areg5 on

Comments

• Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums  and moved to Product Suggestions since it isn't a Daz Studio question.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited October 2020

I'd like that too. They are a type of practical beanie and the little crown parts were meant to be used practically like for attaching fishing flies and such things. They always made me laugh. Goober from The Andy Griffith Show almost always wore one too. I think that actually went out of style in the 60s. I know coon caps certainly did. I've never seen a person in person wearing a Jughead beanie or a coon cap though. Also, there were beanies with a propeller on the top, which I did see in the early 70s and those were meant to be novelty hats for little boys. You might remember a cartoon character called Quisp for Quisp cereal that wore one in the early 70s (actually the propeller is coming straight out of his head as he's an alien).

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited October 2020

Oh, yes, I remember "Quisp" and his counterpart "Quake".  The latter was a steel jawed hero type who debuted with a miner's safety helmet as he had superhuman digging skills (thus causing earthquakes).  Later, the marketing division changed it to an Australian "bush hat" with the side folded brim along with a "facelift" for the character himself.  The characters and the commercials were designed and animated by the "Jay Ward" Studio, best known for "Rocky and Bullwinkle".  While the cereals hav not had mass distribution for maybe 4 decades, one can order special limited boxes of Quisp online!  That blew my mind.

Sincerely,

Bill

Post edited by Redfern on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

I'd like that too. They are a type of practical beanie and the little crown parts were meant to be used practically like for attaching fishing flies and such things. They always made me laugh. Goober from The Andy Griffith Show almost always wore one too. I think that actually went out of style in the 60s. I know coon caps certainly did. I've never seen a person in person wearing a Jughead beanie or a coon cap though. Also, there were beanies with a propeller on the top, which I did see in the early 70s and those were meant to be novelty hats for little boys. You might remember a cartoon character called Quisp for Quisp cereal that wore one in the early 70s (actually the propeller is coming straight out of his head as he's an alien).

I did know one kid who had a Jughead cap in the late 60s, I think he only wore it once that I'm aware of. As for the propeller "beans", that was very popular in the early 60s because of "Beanu", of the cartoon "Beany and Cecil" (1959=1962). When the show was running, stores actually stocked the little propeller caps (the propellers actually flew).

-- Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:

I did know one kid who had a Jughead cap in the late 60s, I think he only wore it once that I'm aware of. As for the propeller "beans", that was very popular in the early 60s because of "Beanu", of the cartoon "Beany and Cecil" (1959=1962). When the show was running, stores actually stocked the little propeller caps (the propellers actually flew).

-- Walt Sterdan

I'll have to check out those ole cartoons. Tom Seaver was nicknamed Tom Terrific after a cartoon character named Tom Terrific.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

So... no one knows where I can find one?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    areg5 said:

So... no one knows where I can find one?

nah they are all deliberately withholding the information from youdevil

AFAIK and everyone else knows it doesn't exist, doesn't mean it couldn't be modelled and a discussion could help if someone was thinking about that, I will throw my hat into the ring too for suggestions.

Apparently traditionally it is a cut out fedorta sttched together with some decorative pins.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

I'll see if I can make one.

Here's one for cheap: https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/1581925

You'd need to customize it though.

• Here's one for cheap: https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/1581925

You'd need to customize it though.

Five dollars for a physical beanie might be cheap.  If it's a 3D model, it'd better already have those customizations standard, for my budget.

edited November 2020

I am trying to picture this thing

whoopiehat.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 219K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited November 2020

I applied a knit shader for my render but a felt shader might be better because of the odd UV mapping
    I could look at improving that 

load it in Carrara size in your obj import and it should exactly line up to his head for the Transfer Utility

zip
    zip
    Whoopie Cap.zip
    Whoopie Hat on G8M.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • nonesuch00 said:

The beanie - or as it's often called, the "whoopee cap" - isn't entirely gone! I've made a bunch on my free time, but none turned out exactly how I wanted to so I wear this premade imitation which takes away a bit of the self-made charm but looks brilliant. And funnily I got some compliments for it at school. I even have the red dot and dash pins that Jughead attached to his trusty felt beanie. I also have an online friend far away from myself in the US of A who has worn a few as well.

Here is an image of the beanie I wear everywhere! As you can see it deviates a bit from how the proper DIY ones usually look (with a higher edge, thicker felt, more even cut and that weird button on top), but I've kinda made this my trademark so no changing it up now! https://www.instagram.com/p/B_DVsDNpfF5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oh, and to make myself useful, here's a model I came across:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-jughead-s-crown-a-tiny-hair-piece-47973#_=_

veetiaalto2404 said:

nonesuch00 said:

The beanie - or as it's often called, the "whoopee cap" - isn't entirely gone! I've made a bunch on my free time, but none turned out exactly how I wanted to so I wear this premade imitation which takes away a bit of the self-made charm but looks brilliant. And funnily I got some compliments for it at school. I even have the red dot and dash pins that Jughead attached to his trusty felt beanie. I also have an online friend far away from myself in the US of A who has worn a few as well.

Here is an image of the beanie I wear everywhere! As you can see it deviates a bit from how the proper DIY ones usually look (with a higher edge, thicker felt, more even cut and that weird button on top), but I've kinda made this my trademark so no changing it up now! https://www.instagram.com/p/B_DVsDNpfF5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oh, and to make myself useful, here's a model I came across:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-jughead-s-crown-a-tiny-hair-piece-47973#_=_

Cool job. Should I been spooked that the guy in the picture of the 2nd link actually looks like Jughead? laugh

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538

He wears one on the Riverdale TV shor. but its harder to see that that's what it is.