Fog in LUXUS for Carrara question

JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have been trying to figure out how to recreate the fog effects from Reality 2 for DAZ Studio in Carrara with LUXUS for Carrara.

I have been trying the shaders from LUXUS for Carrara Resource. But I can't seem to get them to work right.

Attached is the kind of effect I get from REALITY2. Is there a way to create this effect with LUXUS for Carrara?

conspirators_of_light.jpg
960 x 540 - 455K

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

One of the shaders in PhilW's Luxus for Carrara pack is fog:

http://www.daz3d.com/luxus-for-carrara-resource-pack

I've never used it, so I can't say for sure, but Lux is the same render engine, whether accessed through Luxus or Reality, so there should be a way to do it. I'll try and break out that shader to check out some of the components to see if I can get a clear idea how it works.

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited August 2014

I had been trying the dust shaders in PhilW’s Luxus for Carrara pack. I don't think I am using them right. I was able to combine the LUX render with a Carrara default render using the light cone feature. This is the result. Its better but not as pronounced as the Reality 2 experiment. More experiments are needed.

smokeLUX01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 142K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Some experimentation with Carrara lights using spot cone effect and a special light rig I made a long time ago
    What do you think ?
    Anywhere near the effect you hope for?

End results are boundless depending on settings eg light postion, colour, and general settings.

You say you are using Luxus for CARRARA - I didn't think it was available yet - any tips how I can get it?

Doc5.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 332K
    Cone_high_Int_No_falloff_Buffr_high_460.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 297K
    Doc3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 294K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I think it's in the DAZ store, but I could be wrong. Not sure where they're at for GPU rendering in LUX, bit Octane has a Carrara plugin in the works. Dustrider has been working with a beta I think. Could be wrong on that though.

edited December 1969

Thanks 0oseven,
    I love what you did with the light cones in Carrara. I can get a good effect with that method. My second sample used a combo of Carrara's light cone and a LUX render.

My question was about replicating what I did in REALITY2 for DAZ with LUXUS for Carrara. Since they both use the LUX render engine I should be able to do the same thing in both. Reality 2 has a fog object and a great tutorial that allowed me to do the sample image. I haven't found a tutorial on how to use PhilW’s Luxus for Carrara pack fog material to get the same results. PhilW’s Luxus for Carrara pack is awesome and saves a ton of time. I thank him for such a great product.

Evilproducer is right that you can buy LUXUS for Carrara from the DAZ store. The octane plug in sound great, though the $500 Octane price tag is a big problem.

edited August 2014

Thanks evil and Joe - I was getting mixed up with Luxus and Octane - the latter is the one not available yet.
    Ok - Luxux is free but needs a plugin to work with Carrara- or Daz?

So Joe, it apprears you are saying the Luxrender works differently for Carrara opposed to Daz Studio given that you say you are trying to replicate what you did with Daz and Reality2 - ( I understand Reality is just the name given to the Daz plugin for Luxus?)

Gotta say the DAZ /Reality/Luxus render looks good.

Post edited by 0oseven on
    edited August 2014

0oseven
    Lux render engine is free and you need a plug in to work in Carrara and DAZ Studio. Reality 2 for DAZ Studio, LUXUS For Carrara to use with Carrara.

The difference between output seems to be due to how the plug in's work in each program. They pretty much work the same as you convert your materials to LUX materials. I like LUXUS for Carrara because it has more material options (this may be improved with REALITY3). The only problem I am encountering is how it handles Fog, but that's just my lack of knowledge of LUXUS.

Attached is a simple test using PhilW’s Luxus for Carrara pack Dusty Interior material. More experiments are needed.

SmokeLux.jpg
    960 x 540 - 85K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited August 2014

I think there's Luxus for DAZ Studio, too.

EDIT:
    Here is the Spheric Labs Store, here at DAZ 3D, where you can get "Luxus", which is for DAZ Studio, I believe, and "Luxus for Carrara" ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

This one is a carrara spot with cone effect and a gel applied using an image - I thought result was "interesting"

Have been experimenting hard with these and other cone settings including adding a bit of carrara fog - not producing much worth posting but learning a lot !!

I guess Luxus for for carrara goes on the shopping list.

Doc4.jpg
    640 x 480 - 48K
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

This is a sample from the Carrara Render engine. I do have Luxus for Carrara but I haven't tried it.

ATDroneRender.jpg
    1000 x 826 - 175K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

This is a sample from the Carrara Render engine. I do have Luxus for Carrara but I haven't tried it.

Wow! Fantastic render Ringo!
    P.S. I have Lux and I try to use it but...I prefer Carrara. For me, and it's my opinion, is more simple setting shaders and ligts

edited December 1969

pimpy said:

Wow! Fantastic render Ringo!
    P.S. I have Lux and I try to use it but...I prefer Carrara. For me, and it's my opinion, is more simple setting shaders and ligts

Thank you Pimpy!

If by any chance you have the DP Genesis 2 Male(s) Shader Bundle Vol. I.
    It contains a render stage with light sets etc.
    Well I am using the render stage and the light set for this image. What I for this particular images is in one of the spotlight with light cones I I have a GEL image of a red sunset. This give the light cone the red colors.
    On the other spotlight I am using just a yellow color light cone and as you can see it is coming from a different angle.

edited December 1969

This one is the final render with Global Illumination and Indirect Lighting.

ATdronerender2.jpg
    1000 x 826 - 195K
    edited December 1969

I think the other one looked great as well, Ringo.

edited December 1969

Great renders
    Maybe I'll just have to stick with the light cone from Carrara's default render

edited September 2014

I decided to do some more experiments with fog in LUXUS and thought someone may benefit from my findings. This time with Urban Sprawl 2 The Big City from Stonemason.

Attached is a demo of a scene with different settings based on these shader base settings
    Top Shader: Lux Surface;
    Material: Lux Glass 2;
    Interior: Lux Lux homogenous;
    Fresnel: Other value of 1;
    Absorption: Lux constant color: color:50% grey, value: 0.00;
    Scatter Coefficient: Lux constant color: 50% grey, value: 0.05;
    Scatter Asymmetry: Lux constant color: 50% grey, value: 0.05;
    Exterior: NONE;
    Area Light: NONE;

A: No fog settings
    B: Base Fog Settings
    C: Scatter Coefficient: Lux constant color: 50% grey, value: 0.10; Scatter Asymmetry: Lux constant color: 50% grey, value: 0.10;
    D: Scatter Coefficient: Lux constant color: 50% grey, value: 0.25; Scatter Asymmetry: Lux constant color: 50% grey, value: 0.25;

So it appears that Absorption determines how deep the light appears. Scatter Coefficient and Scatter Asymmetry effect the blurriness.

Also attached is a image with all the effects combined in Photoshop.
    Thanks for looking.

cityfogLUX01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 151K
    cityfogLUX01_demo.jpg
    960 x 540 - 161K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Very cool, joeping! Thanks for sharing!

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot Joeping. I will consider Luxus.

edited September 2014

Thanks for the kind feedback.
    More experimenting with the LUX volumetric shaders settings above and Opus Magnum from Faveral.

smokeRoomLUX01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 199K
    edited December 1969

Looks to me like you're getting closer!

edited September 2014

Thanks EvilProducer, I am getting closer but there are still lots of problems.
    More experiments with Carrara 8.5 Pro and LUXUS for Carrara. This time I was experimenting with the LUX volumetric shaders settings above and bulb lights with Sandy Bay Seaside Village from 3d universe.

View the stereoscopic 3D version at 3dLive

SandyBay01LUX.jpg
    960 x 540 - 140K