Modelling a Cathedral with ARCHITOOLS ? Advice please?

2»

Comments

• KixumKixum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Since you have floor plans and a few regular pictures, you can make a scale model which is pretty dang accurate. If I were doing this project, I would be using combinations of spline and vertex components (whatever was needed to get the job done). However, I think this would take a good amount of time (20 to 40 hours) to do all the geometrical details and the texturing details.

It looks like a super fun project!

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

A very interesting project, indeed. Good luck with it. It will be very interesting to follow along.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,349
    edited December 1969

Hello Head Wax

I have bought the Architools by Inagoni, was looking for an Architool project after the Render Challenge.

Will not make any promises at this stage, but will have a go at modelling the Cathedral in Architools,
    if I have any success I will let you know/keep you posted.

Regards, Bunyip

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

wow, thank you for all the kind replies and methodologies!!!!

Super, I will run through them, thank you :) !!!

Bunyip02 , thank you so much for that offer! To be honest, It;s best that I do it myself, I have no idea where the resulting images will end up - they will receive plenty of exposure here , and there could be some kind of ongoing commercial stuff - not sure. But I appreciate your offer more than I can say!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    wow, thank you for all the kind replies and methodologies!!!!

Super, I will run through them, thank you :) !!!

Bunyip02 , thank you so much for that offer! To be honest, It;s best that I do it myself, I have no idea where the resulting images will end up - they will receive plenty of exposure here , and there could be some kind of ongoing commercial stuff - not sure. But I appreciate your offer more than I can say!

Hello Head Wax

When I read your intro details I fully realized that it was most likely a commercial result that you are looking at.
    Don't be worried about me jumping on your turf, what I will be doing will be entirely for my own learning curve.

I have a number of other things that I want to do with Architools, at this stage I have no idea if they will be worthy
    of commercial status or if I will release them as freebies.

What I was thinking of doing with the Cathedral was to have a go myself, if I end up making something that looks half-good or good enough then I will happily share the "how I did it" with you which you can then incorporate the "how-to" into your own work.
    NO PROMISES that I can be of help, as I am yet to even get started, but if something works out I will let you know.

I like projects like this where there are a number of ideas how to go about actually making something, it greatly helps me to think
    about how I can get to the end result. Otherwise I tend to loose interest and start mucking around with critter morphs !!!!!!

Again this is for my own learning curve, but if I have some success will be happy to share the knowledge.

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

Just doing a quick drawing, tracing the base plan, will then do some quick sides, roof, path around the building, and add a few details.
    Is not to engineering standards, just a rough-as-guts block-offset-layout. Suitable for 3D modelling only.
    (Once I have the basic shape in Architools I am planning to morph it out into another type of building)

Let me know if you want a copy of the "rough-as-guts" plans I am doing.
    Don't worry about the drafting, while I am now out of work due to ill health I have been doing drafting since I learnt AutoCAD Release 12,
    which was a while ago now !!!!!

DraftSight (which is very similar to AutoCAD) is available at :- http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/overview/

Cathedral_Dwg_WIP-1.jpg
    1950 x 674 - 419K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Just doing a quick drawing, tracing the base plan, will then do some quick sides, roof, path around the building, and add a few details.
    Is not to engineering standards, just a rough-as-guts block-offset-layout. Suitable for 3D modelling only.
    (Once I have the basic shape in Architools I am planning to morph it out into another type of building)

Don't worry about the drafting, while I am now out of work due to ill health I have been doing drafting since I learnt AutoCAD Release 12,

DraftSight (which is very similar to AutoCAD) is available at :- http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/overview/

Sounds cool so far.

I hope your health improves!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:

hey, wow, you are organised!!!!!
    amazing :)

I have been putting off approaching this one as I have 24 images to do and have finished 19 in two weeks, all 24 by 20 by 300 dpi .... gah.

This looks like you atre doing a pro job!!! There is a mob here in Newcastle who does historical work - reconstrucing the early settlement etc with fly overs. I think they could be very interested in your work considering the details you are putting in. I think their fly by guy uses google sketchup ??

here is the link http://coalriver.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/virtual-newcastle-circa-1800-1830-ad/

:)