Ater total deletion, there is hope

argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Yes, I deleted all the files from the new movie I am working on. I deleted the backup too. The first few days after this tragedy, , I was devastated. Eight months of work, 5-6 hours a day, 7 days a week, all down the drain! When I saw that my files were on my network drive, I deleted them. For some reason, I wanted them only on my C drive, not figuring they were the same files. I then deleted the backup because I was going to do a new manual backup.

And then I found myself with NOTHING! ZILCH! Oh, the devastation!

I tried a data recovery service, but he told me because I had written 7 GB file after deletion, that was the problem (though I doubt it). I only recovered 5 % of my files. It costs me $400.

But now I re-starting at the beginning. I find I'm making the movie better this time, because I have experience. It will be a better movie. So there is hope after the devastation. I'm not worrying. . It is still time to rock!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

Hugs. I know that feeling
    some programs like iClone from in its menu remove files completely if you delete them
    and when I got my SSD I had C drive cloned but none of what was in Public documents came over.
    I still do have the old drive but came to realize a clean slate was prob better in regards to many of those characters anyway.
    Redoing my runtime I also sadly deleted a bunch of DAZ stuff I found months later were not in my content library as old website freebies.
    Is damned hard losing something you worked on.
    But moving on improving is usually the outcome.
    Shame about the $400 you wasted on that recovery though, could have gone towards lots of nice DAZ content :lol:

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    I tried a data recovery service, but he told me because I had written 7 GB file after deletion, that was the problem (though I doubt it).

FWIW, you shouldn't doubt something like this. The way normal deletion works is, it doesn't actually remove the file data from your hard drive. It just tells your computer those parts of the hard drive are free to be overwritten again. So when you saved that 7GB of files, one of the first parts of your hard drive to be used was the newly freed-up section. Bye-bye deleted files. The best thing to do in this situation is to IMMEDIATELY shut down your computer and NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES try to save anything else. This will give a recovery service the best chance — there are no guarantees — of bringing your files back. I know how you feel, I've done that myself. :red:
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Blu Ray disks are also a good option for backing up projects.

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger..

I heard a story about the Disney film Dinosaur. ( great, apart from the " talking " ) About half way through,they just started again 'cos they decided they could do it better. And the film "Tangled " I think they made twice...? And thats why it cost $ 260 million.( ridiculous ...)

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2014

The movie "Toy Story 2" was apparently deleted twice, once by accident, and once when the filmmakers decided to start over.

Post edited by bytescapes on
  • sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

Oh argus1000, I feel sick reading about your lost project. I'm wishing you ease and speed rebuilding an even better project.

sukyL

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,349
    edited December 1969

Hello argus1000

A while ago I went on a trip and visited a museum that I will probably never get back to.
    I took heaps of reference photos.
    Downloaded them onto my old computer, copied them onto a USB memory stick for safekeeping.
    A bit later I deleted the images off my digital camera to make some room, also did the same with the USB memory stick.
    That person who coined "Murphy's Law" then struck and my old computer failed.

Now I knew that the old computer was on it's last legs, but I remembered that I had those photos somewhere on a USB memory stick.
    When I went looking for them I realized that I had deleted my backup.

Good news was that I went searching the Web for other reference material and I found the http://www.morguefile.com/archive site.
    Been using it ever since !!!!!!!

Storms tend to have a silver lining, although it's sometimes hard to see it when they happen.

Regards, Bunyip