Angry, happy sad, surprised

Hello

I have for quite some time wondered why most expression packs are limited to those four cathegories. Even though some of the expressions barely falls into one of them i think this is way to limited. Just imagine a movie where the actors always have one of those four expressions. (Ok Harrison Ford would get away with it and Keanu Reeves only need one but you know what i mean)

Using bought expressions as a starting point i have built up my own expression library over the years for G8 figures but now when most of them don't work with G8.1 i need to start all over again if i am to use that figure. So my wish and suggestion to all expression creators is to expand your main cathegories to at least about 10. For example: Conversation, Serious, Bold, Confused, Kind, Emphatic, Afraid, Tired, Effort, Concentration, etc.etc.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

All G8 expresssions do work with G8.1 if you are using DS 4.15 and you remove the placeholder files that come with G8.1 installation.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited February 2021

The best expression packs are separate products not part of the bundles. Plenty of variety with a bit of searching.

https://www.daz3d.com/expressions

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • PerttiA said:

All G8 expresssions do work with G8.1 if you are using DS 4.15 and you remove the placeholder files that come with G8.1 installation.

Most, rather than all, at least without some further tweaking I believe.

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

Most, rather than all, at least without some further tweaking I believe.

Depends on how "working" is defined, I'm looking at it from a point of; "If the dial does nothing, then it is not working".

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

What are these placeholder files?  Will there be some official update to help?

Ostadan said:

What are these placeholder files?  Will there be some official update to help?

The Genesis 8 Starter Essentials are installing dummy expression files in "...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\" and "...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\" the dummy files (placeholders) are overriding the corresponding G8 expressions, which are called by a number of other expressions made for the G8, resulting in a large number of G8 expressions not doing anything even though they will come up on the G8.1 parameters tab.

Once the placeholder files are removed, the G8 expressions start working with G8.1 (If using DS 4.15 or later)

I don't think they are going to release an update for this, and even if they did, the update would not remove the already installed files.

• Morph based expression work of cause, but those are of lesser interest for me because they are much harder to tweak.

The expressions based on the brows/jaw/eyes etc.-dials definitely don't work since most of them has got different names.

jergenoman_b33d4209f8 said:

Morph based expression work of cause, but those are of lesser interest for me because they are much harder to tweak.

The expressions based on the brows/jaw/eyes etc.-dials definitely don't work since most of them has got different names.

What "names" are you referring to?

Once the placeholder files have been removed, the corresponding G8 expressions will appear in the G8.1 properties tab and all the G8 expressions calling those G8 expressions do start to work - Provided of course that you are using DS 4.15 and not some older version of DS.

• Oh thanks it really works :-)

Why in the world would somebody do that on purpose?

jergenoman_b33d4209f8 said:

Oh thanks it really works :-)

Why in the world would somebody do that on purpose?

Someone wasn't thinking or was over-thinking laugh 

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 954
    edited February 2021

Can I get some clarification about the placeholder files please? Are all of the files in the "...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\" and "...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\" folders placeholders? And if not, what ones do I remove? Also, do I just remove the files in the "Expressions" folder or both the "Base Pose Head" and the "Expressions" folders?

Thanks for any help with this.

Post edited by nabob21 on

The Starter Essential installs 255 files into "Base Pose Head" and 24 files into "Expressions" for G8.1F, you can check each and every one of those files with Notepad++, there is nothing "happening" inside them.