cannot install font to mesh converter

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Using Win 7, it says there's a missing .dll. Had no problem installing on Win XP.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2014

It may be something to do with this:- The program is 32bit and you have Win 7 64bit.

You may need to install a Redistributable package from MS to get the missing .dll

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667

there are several versions of this package

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/Results.aspx?q=Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (x86)&form=DLC

This link does not display properly on the froum software, so you will need to copy it and paste it into your browser as you need the complete link to get to the correct page.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

Would it be the first one?

• GallCommTVGallCommTV Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    Using Win 7, it says there's a missing .dll. Had no problem installing on Win XP.

From the 'read me' file included in the pack...
    "7.) Troubleshooting -
    If you recieve this error message:
    "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
    then you need to run DXSETUP application file (which is located in the "/Font to Mesh Express Converter" folder."
    End of readme.....

I had the same problem getting the prog to work with the latest version of DAZ ..
    I read the 'read me', ... followed the 'destructions' :cheese: and Voila!
    It's a grand handy little prog. I've used it a lot :wow:

Vinny

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 1969

tnx,

did the same 'destructions' :^) and got DX installed, but now get a dialog on startup, with title "errors occurred", and a 'see log' message with a series of errors (subset):

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "FMEC.py", line 753, in ?
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 779, in mainloop
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 708, in _internalmainloop
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 796, in _forwardMessages
    File "FMEC.py", line 475, in onMouse
    File "d3dgui.pyc", line 345, in onMouse
    d3d.Error: An undetermined error occurred

File "FMEC.py", line 752, in ?
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 643, in __init__
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 663, in _createDevice
    RuntimeError: No valid mode found

This is on XP-Sp3 latest patches, in a VM that works with everything else I use. Anyone else see this?

ms

edited December 1969

mindsong said:
    tnx,

did the same 'destructions' :^) and got DX installed, but now get a dialog on startup, with title "errors occurred", and a 'see log' message with a series of errors (subset):

File "FMEC.py", line 753, in ?
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 779, in mainloop
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 708, in _internalmainloop
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 796, in _forwardMessages
    File "FMEC.py", line 475, in onMouse
    File "d3dgui.pyc", line 345, in onMouse
    d3d.Error: An undetermined error occurred

File "FMEC.py", line 752, in ?
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 643, in __init__
    File "d3dx.pyc", line 663, in _createDevice
    RuntimeError: No valid mode found

This is on XP-Sp3 latest patches, in a VM that works with everything else I use. Anyone else see this?

ms

Well, .. that has me stumped!
    I wonder if it would be worthwhile deleting the whole lot (the font-to-mesh prog) and doing a complete new install?
    I think I'd do that, then run all the .exe files again ... ? :ohh:
    Vinny
  • edited October 2014

In order to access the readme you need to install the program.

I just noticed that using wordpad, any Foreign fonts do not load. They're in the fonts folder and even listed in word's drop down but they won't load. If I can't get these to load this other program (F2M) will be moot. This compatibility stuff is getting way out of hand.

Post edited by mpam76895_15961369c9 on
    edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    In order to access the readme you need to install the program.

I just noticed that using wordpad, any Foreign fonts do not load. They're in the fonts folder and even listed in word's drop down but they won't load. If I can't get these to load this other program (F2M) will be moot. This compatibility stuff is getting way out of hand.

Yep. In the readme it says...
    "FMEC is not compatable with Symbol fonts such as "Webdings".
    When FMEC cannot construct a mesh based off of a font it
    will default to the standard Arial font
    ."

However, I find that it still accepts a good load of fonts, and I can even use the 'Signature Font' for our Company Logo (TV Concepts... in Felt Tip) which is not a standard part of the Microsoft bundle and I had to search it out on the interweb :-)
    When you say the readme isnt accessible unless you install the program, are you saying you haven't installed it, or ....... ?
    Vinny

• edited October 2014

As soon as I click submit, I'm off to look for another 64 friggin bit F2M program.

What do you think of this? http://font-to-mesh-express-converter.software.informer.com/

Post edited by mpam76895_15961369c9 on
    edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    As soon as I click submit, I'm off to look for another 64 friggin bit F2M program.

What do you think of this? http://font-to-mesh-express-converter.software.informer.com/

Err... that's the one I am referring to, and using ....
    FMEC ... by Anakele Vision and Design, Inc.

It outputs in either Python script, (for Poser) or .obj (which I use in DAZ)

Just did this quick render to show the Lettering, .. with a couple of the brats! :-)

BMXR_Boys_test.jpg
    1106 x 896 - 800K
  • edited December 1969

Was it a clean download? That is, did it try to sneak other crap onto your system? Sounds ok. I'd like a tour of that house.

edited October 2014

kzerial said:
    Was it a clean download? That is, did it try to sneak other crap onto your system? Sounds ok. I'd like a tour of that house.

Well, I didn't download it from there. I never trust those sites. They are very dodgy at the best of times.
    As far as I can remember I got the prog from here (DAZ !)
    I'll have a quick search of my downloads to see where it came through.
    I'll be quick as I can, but I do know I have the prog for a good while because it was on my old PC which bit the dust and replaced with a new one.
    That's how I came across the difficulties when trying it out on the new machine. It needed to re-generate some .dll files etc. But the readme was/is aware of the need and so 'twas easy enough to rectify.
    Here's another look at the mesh (different Font) whilst I rummage through me files for 'the source!' :)
    Edit: whoops... two pics, .. sorry!

BMXR_Boys_test_.jpg
    1106 x 896 - 709K
    Post edited by GallCommTV on
    edited December 1969

kzerial said:

OK, .. found it, .. :-P
    From the wonderful DAZ Shoppe!....
    sku: 5706
    Description....
    FMEC adds Unprecedented functionality to Poser by reading TRUE TYPE font files found on your PC and converting them into high quality 3D object files. Just enter a text string of up to 32 characters and export the string to a convenient location on your hard drive in the form of an .obj file or a Poser Python script. The resulting obj and mtl (material) files can then be imported in Poser, DAZ Studio, Carrara, or ANY 3D application which supports import of .obj file format.

It was around 8 or 9$ (back in 2009/10... :) )
    Vinny

BMXR_Kids.jpg
    944 x 896 - 620K
  • edited December 1969

There it is... Thanks!

edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    There it is... Thanks!

There y'are, ... Glad to be of help..
    As for touring the house, ... next time you're in Bali, give us a shout. :lol:
    Vinny
  • edited December 1969

Not there yet.

“FMEC is not compatable with Symbol fonts such as “Webdings”.
    When FMEC cannot construct a mesh based off of a font it
    will default to the standard Arial font.”

I want the program for Enochian fonts, a magical script. Does this mean they (anything other than standard fonts) won't load? They should just upgrade that other program.

•  

kzerial said:

Description....
    FMEC adds Unprecedented functionality to Poser by reading TRUE TYPE font files found on your PC and converting them into high quality 3D object files. Just enter a text string of up to 32 characters and export the string to a convenient location on your hard drive in the form of an .obj file or a Poser Python script. The resulting obj and mtl (material) files can then be imported in Poser, DAZ Studio, Carrara, or ANY 3D application which supports import of .obj file format.

Vinny

Dearest, I ordered FTMC and it works awesome....only , after loading the .obj into Daz I cannot apply any shaders to it nor change its surface with f.e. texture images....
    Why not? What goes wrong? What needs to get done to get it to work? It is supposed to work with Daz 4.8..........So Daz claims.....
    I have the item selected in the surfaces tab as well as scene view when trying to apply textures, but nothing happens, the color of the imported .obj (created by FTMC) changes a bit in color but that's it....
    I mailed [email protected] and as for now I am waiting an answer with hopefully an solution.
    Just in case , does anyone know upfront what is happening and why and how to resolve my issue?
    Thanks in advance.

sinverly
    Peter

DAZ FTMEC TEST NO TEXTURES POSSIBLE VISIBLE_2.jpg
    1102 x 880 - 143K
  •  

kzerial said:

Description....

Vinny

Dearest, I ordered FTMC and it works awesome....only , after loading the .obj into Daz I cannot apply any shaders to it nor change its surface with f.e. texture images....
    Why not? What goes wrong? What needs to get done to get it to work? It is supposed to work with Daz 4.8..........So Daz claims.....
    I have the item selected in the surfaces tab as well as scene view when trying to apply textures, but nothing happens, the color of the imported .obj (created by FTMC) changes a bit in color but that's it....
    I mailed [email protected] and as for now I am waiting an answer with hopefully an solution.
    Just in case , does anyone know upfront what is happening and why and how to resolve my issue?
    Thanks in advance.

sinverly
    Peter

Hello Peter,
    I'd love to be of assistance, but so far I've resisted up-grading to 4.8 having grave reservations as to DAZ's direction with their attitude to 3DL as against IRAY, and also the loss of many of the AoA Lights functions. Therefore, I am unable to do a test render to see what I can find in regard to your 'difficulty'
    I have a collegue who lives near and has 4.8 on one of their machines. I will visit at the weekend, try out FTMC and see what happens.
    In the mean time, hopefully some other user might have found a way to overcome your problem
    Vinny

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The conversion most likely doesn't UV map them.  There is a UV view in Studio to check for that.