Merging DAZ & Poser libraries?

HabitualGypsyHabitualGypsy Posts: 87

So I've gotten used to the D|S content format after using Poser for 5+ years. I find it to be substantially more intuitive (on many levels). My question is: is it possible to move the Poser "UI" content files/folders over to the DAZ locations? When I say "UI" I'm referring primarily to the files/folders that show up while using DAZ/Poser. For instance the Character(Figure), Pose, Prop, etc. folders/subfolder/files in the Libraries folder.

Now I know the file types are different but they seem to do the same thing - more or less. Specifically, D|S can obviously use most common Poser-native file types such as .cr2, .pz2, .fc2, etc. I would think this would be fairly straight forward with having to direct D|S to find files in unexpected place being the obvious stumbling block. Of course, I deal with this on occasion anyway, due to poor directory implementation by some vendors (mostly older content). However, some things I've read things in various forum posts have led me to wonder if D|S accesses file types differently depending on which content directory they are located in.

I'm really hoping it's possible to consolidate these because it's been increasingly frustrating to figure out where a great deal of Poser format content is located. This applies primarily to content from RMP where vendors were given a great deal of latitude in how they located and/or named the various files and folders for their products. And since I have over 3000 DAZ products installed and will have approximately 1000 more from RMP, RDNA, PW and various misc. sources by the time I finish my current re-install, content organization is a big priority for me.

For the record I'm running DAZ Studio 4.7 on Windows 7 Home 64bit if it matters.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Damon
aka Habitual Gypsy

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

My question is: is it possible to move the Poser “UI” content files/folders over to the DAZ locations?

There is no need to move anything for DAZ Studio to read it.

Using Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, simply add the folder that 'holds' the Poser Runtime folder as a library, in much the same way as you would in Poser.

In the Content Library pane in DAZ Studio, select Poser Formats, right click, and select 'Add a Runtime Directory' is an even simpler way. The name of the folder that holds the runtime folder will appear under Poser Formats after a right click and 'Refresh'.

You can add as many Poser runtime folders as you need in this way, and DAZ Studio Format folders as well for that matter.
  • HabitualGypsyHabitualGypsy Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

You can add as many Poser runtime folders as you need in this way, and DAZ Studio Format folders as well for that matter.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But that is exactly the opposite of what I want to do. I don't want multiple "content trees" that are essentially splitting up my content. I don't want to have to go into the poser hierarchy to track down, say V4 in the Figures directory, then go the Poses directory to inject morphs and then into the DAZ content to add clothes and hair.

This is counter intuitive and confusing. Like I said, I'll have over 4000 products installed by the time my re-install is finished. Trying to remember which product is in which format and where it's located gets old. As I said before, the Poser runtime organization isn't very user friendly. So, ideally, I'd like to move the libraries into appropriate locations with the DAZ content.

To go back to the V4 example, I would move the link to load V4 from Poser>Figures>DAZ People over to DAZ>People>Victoria 4. Then move any other V4 related content that's in the Poser runtime tree over to the DAZ side and organize like it is for Genesis, for example.

I'm not talking about moving anything except files and folders from the Libraries. And even then, only the ones that "show up" in the actual program interface. I know there are various folders that are also under the Libraries folder that contain such things as INJ deltas, etc. that don't show up as content when in DAZ Studio.

My main concern is that DS might need certain files in certain directories to read them properly. I don't want to go monkeying around with content only to have to remember where it came from because I need to put it back.

Bottom line: I want to organize ALL my content into a SINGLE, USER-FRIENDLY, INTUITIVE and LOGICAL content tree. I'm just trying to see if that is even possible.

I do appreciate you responding either way, though. :)

-Damon
    aka Habitual Gypsy

edited December 1969

The only way that I know of accomplishing what you want, with no chance of making content unusable, is by creating your own Categories in side DAZ Studio. Moving content folders around can be done in some circumstances, but I wouldn't go that way, it can lead to problems.

Please have a look at the video below to get some ides of how this works. If you only want to move folders around to better organise your content, then I'm afraid I can't help you. It is fraught with danger.

Creating new Categories by AdamR
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_nnPf8nCcc4

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,202
    edited November 2014

habgyp said:
    To go back to the V4 example, I would move the link to load V4 from Poser>Figures>DAZ People over to DAZ>People>Victoria 4.
    That won't work, files in Poser format won't be visible in a DS content directory. DS needs them to be in a Poser content directory to be able to see them.
    It doesn't care which library they are stored in, though, so you could for example move all your poser library files into the "Figures" library and sort them in a similar structure as your DS content inside that library.

In order to see DS and Poser files together in the same "content tree" you can use DS content management features to sort files into categories rather than moving the files themselves, but that will require quite some work to categorize everything.

Post edited by Leana on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys! Categorize Content will work perfectly for me. It's also no more work than moving and categorizing folders/files. I can order all my stuff in a logical manner now.

Again, much thanks!!

-Damon
    aka Habitual Gypsy

edited December 1969

Just make sure to use the drop down menu in the Content Library pane, select Content DB Maintenance and tick the box labelled ''Export User Data . That way, you can always load it into the database again if the db ever becomes corrupted. I would do a save every day that you create new categories so that nothing will be lost.

edited December 1969

Just make sure to use the drop down menu in the Content Library pane, select Content DB Maintenance and tick the box labelled ''Export User Data . That way, you can always load it into the database again if the db ever becomes corrupted. I would do a save every day that you create new categories so that nothing will be lost.

I'll make sure I do that. Thanks for the tip!

-Damon Brown
    aka Habitual Gypsy

• yeideyeide Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

My question is: is it possible to move the Poser “UI” content files/folders over to the DAZ locations?

Using Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, simply add the folder that 'holds' the Poser Runtime folder as a library, in much the same way as you would in Poser.

In the Content Library pane in DAZ Studio, select Poser Formats, right click, and select 'Add a Runtime Directory' is an even simpler way. The name of the folder that holds the runtime folder will appear under Poser Formats after a right click and 'Refresh'.

I would like to try out Studio and have a substantial Poser runtime. In Studio 4.6 Pro on Mac, I do not see Preferences on the Edit pulldown menu, and selecting Preferences from the DAZ Studio menu opens a useless box. What am I missing?

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

yeide said:

I would like to try out Studio and have a substantial Poser runtime. In Studio 4.6 Pro on Mac, I do not see Preferences on the Edit pulldown menu, and selecting Preferences from the DAZ Studio menu opens a useless box. What am I missing?

K, so I'm on a Macbook Pro and I opened 4.6 to check. From either the DAZ Studio menu or F2, the prefs come up and it's in the Content Library tab. http://prntscr.com/6fbuua

Can you show a pic of what you get if you are not getting this?

edited December 1969

yeide said:

K, so I'm on a Macbook Pro and I opened 4.6 to check. From either the DAZ Studio menu or F2, the prefs come up and it's in the Content Library tab. http://prntscr.com/6fbuua

Can you show a pic of what you get if you are not getting this?

Thanks for your response. This is all I see when I open Preferences.

Screen_Capture.jpg
    1595 x 851 - 111K
    edited December 1969

I can't see any pull down menus in your screenshot, but you should have one called 'Window'. Go to that and select Workspace > Select Layout, and select one of the other ones, City Limits should work for you. You can always change it back again if necessary.

You are missing several tabs in Preferences, and you have only a very limited version of it, changing the layout may help.

Did you install DS4.7 or DS4.8(Beta) on the same machine by any chance?
    edited December 1969

Hey! That worked. All the tabs appeared in Preferences. Thanks for the great advice. Cheers.