carrara 8.5 crashes loading blank scene now

thomllamathomllama Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

OK,.. carrara 8.5 is constantly crashing.. was loading a scene from Daz Studio .. it bugged out... and now it won't do anything.. even trying to load an empty scene makes it crash.. anything besides delete and re-installing to fix?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Some more information is needed.

What is your hardware and OS? How did it bug out? Did it freeze, crash to the desktop? The next time you opened it, did it act as if the preferences needed to be set again, such as asking what language you want to use? Does it crash if you use the scene Wizard to create a new scene or load one of the presets?

• thomllamathomllama Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Mac OSX 10.10.1 (yosemite) worked fine till today.. crashes is just that.. it crashes.. some times I get the beach ball of death, some times it just blinks and quits...

the programs "loads" fine.. but the minute you try and start or load an actual scene it bugs out.

edited December 2014

Oh great... tried to get the "beta" update to see if that will work.. did everything on site here.. fire up Install manager.. won't let me do anything there either.. it just says "Account referenced is not setup in install manager" and yet.. it is.. e-mail address and password entered.. what the hell more does it need... very frustrated!!!

Post edited by thomllama on
    edited December 1969

If it is a corrupted preferences file, you could go to File--> Reset Preferences to see if that will help. It will act as if you never ran it before, except that you shouldn't have to add the serial number again. That seems to be a separate preference file.

You will have to let it go through the search for runtimes and such, and if you have added custom folders to the Browser, you may have to add them again, but it should still be faster than re-installing the whole thing.

Then again, if it doesn't work, then you may be stuck un-installing and re-installing Carrara.

Just a quick little last thought. Have you run any of your Mac's disk repair/permission repair utilities? I would try that before you un-install and re-install.

There's a handy little utility I like called AppleJack. You use it by booting into Safe mode, so it can also repair your disk in addition to the permissions. It also looks for corrupted preferences, cleans out all the cache files and virtual memory swap files.

edited December 1969

thomllama said:
    Oh great... tried to get the "beta" update to see if that will work.. did everything on site here.. fire up Install manager.. won't let me do anything there either.. it just says "Account referenced is not setup in install manager" and yet.. it is.. e-mail address and password entered.. what the hell more does it need... very frustrated!!!

We cross posted! ;-)

I use a pre-smart content, pre-DIM version of Carrara, so I can't be much help with any of that weirdness. Sorry about that. :down:

edited December 1969

wiping the pref's and restarting worked.. reloaded without issue (other than asking language ) didn't even have to search for content.. thanks :)

oh, and what version are you using? I kinda liked it WAY before Daz got their hands on it.. actually I liked it when it was Ray Dream.. (yup, I'm that old and have used it that long.. ;) )

edited December 1969

thomllama said:
    wiping the pref's and restarting worked.. reloaded without issue (other than asking language ) didn't even have to search for content.. thanks :)

oh, and what version are you using? I kinda liked it WAY before Daz got their hands on it.. actually I liked it when it was Ray Dream.. (yup, I'm that old and have used it that long.. ;) )

I'm glad that resetting the preferences helped. I see so many people just re-install the whole thing before trying the simple options first. Sometimes the nuclear option is the only option, but I like to avoid a lot of extra aggravation if I can.

Former Raydream Studio 5 user here. I missed the 5.5 upgrade, so around OS 8 Raydream became unstable, but useable if I saved frequently and used the Batch Renderer. After OS 9 came out, it wouldn't even launch.

After that, I played around with various demos of 3D apps looking for something I liked, until I came across Carrara 5, and read up on its history. I bought it almost immediately and was pleasantly surprised with how many Raydream elements and controls were in Carrara.

My current version is C7.2 Pro, running on a PPC G5. With few exceptions, such as soft body physics and the new unbiased render engine plugins, I haven't felt to hindered. I don't really care much about the Genesis figures as V4, M4 look good enough for my purposes. My folks moved in with my wife and I when they retired, and my Mom has a Core2 Duo iMac (with Mavericks) that can run a C7 Render Node. It is not stable enough to run the full version of Carrara, but the node really helps speed up my rendering.

edited December 1969

Lol you go almost as far back as I do.. I bounced version only when I needed to ... got one version when meta creations had it then one upgrade from envio or what ever they were.. didn't upgrade once daz got it till I had too. Think 6.. I go years without using it once but then I get the bug and want to play again... right now I'm all out wanting to play 3D (:

edited December 1969

From what I understand, C6 was akin to odd numbered Star Trek movies- Not very good.

I have been very happy with C7.2 Pro. It has been very stable, and by rights, the render node shouldn't even run on Mavericks. I don't mind the things DAZ has added to Carrara, such as the ability to use Poser style figures, enhancements to the modeling capabilities, improvements to the lights, physics, plant editor and dynamic hair.

I just wish DAZ 3D would be more consistent with Carrara's development, and improve some of the older and clumsier features. The fire primitive is a good example. From my recollection, it is the same as the old Raydream fire. Adding a control to simulate wind, for instance, may be easier and cheaper to implement than some kind of physics simulation which would be akin to a fluid sim I suspect.

edited December 1969

thomllama said:
    Lol you go almost as far back as I do.. I bounced version only when I needed to ... got one version when meta creations had it then one upgrade from envio or what ever they were.. didn't upgrade once daz got it till I had too. Think 6.. I go years without using it once but then I get the bug and want to play again... right now I'm all out wanting to play 3D (:

Hell, my computer goes almost as far back as I do! ;-)