Question on Carrara 8.5 Pro (Mac) Anomoly

LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Howdy Folks,

I run Carrara on both a Mac and a Windows box interchangeably (not that the same time :-)) and recently had to move my library off of the internal SSD to an external drive on the Mac. (Retina MacBook Pro has tiny SSD :-) ). I moved it, and think that I got the library updated. However, some of the icons in the content browser (not Smart Content, that doesn't work at all) are just white boxes. This seems to be a cosmetic issue only as I can still select and use the items, they just don't show icons anymore. This is annoying, anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I have attached a screen shot so you can see what I am talking about :-)

Thanks!

Rich S.

Screen_Shot_2014-12-24_at_6.33_.49_PM_.png
1990 x 323 - 151K

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Have you tried using Disk Utility to repair permissions? It is in Applications--> Utilities--> Disk Utility.

You probably already did this, so forgive me if I'm being Mr. Obvious, but have you restarted your Mac since the files were transferred from the old drive to the new?

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Have you tried using Disk Utility to repair permissions? It is in Applications--> Utilities--> Disk Utility.

You probably already did this, so forgive me if I'm being Mr. Obvious, but have you restarted your Mac since the files were transferred from the old drive to the new?

Hi evilproducer,

I hadn't actually tried repair permissions, but did after I got your email. No joy :-( I don't leave the Mac running and always shut it off when I am done, so it has been restarted several times since I moved the files. When I did the move, I actually deleted all of the local files and used DIM to put them in the new location, and then destroyed the PostgresSQL database, and re-built it using DAZ Studio. Made no difference. It is almost like Carrara is not seeing the thumbnail pictures, or it is looking in the wrong place? Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions :-)

Rich S.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Man, you got me. I think the thumbnails are embedded in the file, but I could be wrong.

I seem to recall that there was thread here a few months ago about this issue, so I did a search. Not much help I'm afraid.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12371/#621779

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 2014

You need to watch for older products on a Mac.

They used to put thumbnails in the resource fork of the files, and only later pulled them out into PNG files (That's what the old "rsr" files are on Windows - the resource fork extracted and made a separate file). But depending on how you formatted the external drive, the resource fork may not have been able to transfer over.

Long story short, if you need to share between mac and windows, always be sure to use the *Windows* versions of the products. And if you need to move files around, you may lose your thumbnails if you copy the files to a drive that doesn't support Macintosh resource forks.

Post edited by Fenric on