A City

musicaz_e77234656cmusicaz_e77234656c Posts: 42
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

can i create a city in carrara some easy way that can later be exported as some kind of format to go into say 3d xchange for iclone and i assume using the replicator method of making a city in carrara wont work ?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 2014

jaikez said:
    ... and i assume using the replicator method of making a city in carrara wont work ?
    Sure it would. Use the replicator to randomly place stuff and then press the button that converts it all into true instances. (within the replicator room)
    The thing is that you would lose the benefits of Carrara. Once you convert in this way, depending upon how large and how detailed the buildings and city are/is, you could be looking at a pretty large file.

Carrara does have multiple export options. I have no clue what some other apps want to use, but nearly anything 3d accepts obj, and it does that one too.

Phil Wilkes does a workshop on making a wonderful city scene (for a very large city) in the Advanced Carrara Techniques by Infinite Skills
    I mention that class because he covers the process of making shaders for low-poly buildings, working out placement, adding city streets, light posts, cars, pedestrians... even grass and occasional parks - and it can all be done very quickly using his lessons.

Just to show off the Carrara power of shaders, he also has a lesson on how to make a whole city-scape using a single plane! Not only does he make random building sizes and heights using displacement, but then he also gives them windows and roofs and such - even though it's a displaced plane. Pretty cool.

You could make a city with any 3d modeling software that can handle that many objects. Carrara handles massive scenes quite well if you are aware that such scenes require a good deal of good house-keeping and efficiency.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

I just exported "City blocks" from PhilW from Carrara to iClone through DXChange 5 pipeline without difficulty. I even separated the buildings in DX Change for easier manipulation (read documentation). The buildings came in sharp and clear. You can do the same with Stonemason's Urban sprawl. You can even export scenes made with replicators, as long as you click "Make real instances" before you export. No problem. The best way to export is as FBX. You can also have some success as OBJ.

• musicaz_e77234656cmusicaz_e77234656c Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

All i can say is thankyou very much my friends for responding , this appears to be a really nice forum

• musicaz_e77234656cmusicaz_e77234656c Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

omg your movie Trance is absolutely excellent ! ! !

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

Holding ctrl or alt I always forget which and dragging the transform or rotating in iClone will duplicate models too and like carrara replication or duplicate uses less resources than a new instance as it references the master object.
    You can multiselect and do this too, this would be easier and less resource hungry than importing created instances.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

jaikez said:
    omg your movie Trance is absolutely excellent ! ! !