Possible to Up-Res an entire Gen2 character?

bwise1701bwise1701 Posts: 247

Perhaps this is a naive question, but is it possible to upres and entire character's mesh and use the transfer utility to transfer rigging to the new HiRes mesh? Or is there perhaps some other method? I'm just not having a loty of luck with geo-grafting up-res'ed parts of the character.

thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,446
    edited December 1969

Yes, though you will lose any morphs unless you also export divided versions of those (and make sure you separate any correction morphs that are involved, and then reapply those and recreate the ERC links as well as redoing any adjustments to joint centres and recreating the ERC for those. You certainly can't GeoGraft a mesh that doesn't match the area it grafts to - an exact, one to one, vertex match is required there though the inner mesh can be higher resolution if needed (so if you need only localised high resolution, make the graft larger than it needs to be and then smoothly merge to higher resolution as you move in from the edge).

• bwise1701bwise1701 Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

SO I'm not sure what you mean by export divided versions of morphs. Does the transfer utility not handle morphs if the morph targets is checked in the advanced options? Doesn't seem to.

Hers's what I did. I loaded a Gen2F character with a ton of morphs - both the built in posing and shaping morphs as well as a bunch of custom Zbrush morphs and GenerationX morphs brought over from V4's. I exported at subdivision level 0 to an OBJ.

Then I imported that in Zbrush and subdivided twice and re-exported that mesh.

Then I imported that into DAZ and brought up the transfer utility and checked morph targets as well as the default options - set source to the Gen2 character and target to the imported mesh and clicked ok. I also set asset type to Actor.

It chugs for a while and when it's finished I iinvis my new mesh/model. When I select a scope like the head it actually selects the head scope of the original Gen2 character. Only a few face controls seem to affect the new mesh like mouth open eye movements etc. Thought here are tearing issues between the lips but other controls like brows up and expressions do nothing. Legs arms etc seem to work reasonably but again with the Gen2 scope apparently selecting.

SO I delete the Gen2 character from the scene and select the arms legs etc and they pose pretty well. I select the head and none of the pose controls are there only the bend up/down twist. None of my custom or genx morphs appear .

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Your new mesh has 16x as many vertices as the original -- the morphs won't work on a different mesh.

• bwise1701bwise1701 Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Your new mesh has 16x as many vertices as the original -- the morphs won't work on a different mesh.

Yeah I get that but I'm looking for a way to reproject those morrphs onto the hires mesh just as the transfer utility seems to be able to do with the joint weights.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

bwise1701 said:

Yeah I get that but I'm looking for a way to reproject those morrphs onto the hires mesh just as the transfer utility seems to be able to do with the joint weights.

Up-Res easily? No. Feasible to up-res when all those morphs really don't have the detail to warrant it? No and you're just going to bloat your hard disk.

A better solution? Make your morph initially, if you need more mesh to work with, use a subdivided version of that mesh. Use Zbrush's project all function to project some of that detail back to the lower resolution version. Create a normal map to hold the rest of the detail.

• Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

lol or keep bugging daz for a way to do Hi Rez Morphs...But that most likely wont work