Can Anyone Help Me Find Out What Version Of Carrara I have?

roberthutchinsonroberthutchinson Posts: 306
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro a few days ago. The "About" says Carrara 8.5 Pro Build 243 (64 bit). I cannot get Smart Content to show due to an issue with the content management service, I am told. So, I was looking for the update 'Public Build" which fixes this issue and some other "bugs". The free version, evidently, is not available to me in that it does not show in my DIM and when I put it in my basket, the price is $199.00 and not free. So, where do I go from here? Is the update actually $199.00? I am really confused.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

you are probably using postegre data base in DAZ which the public build of carrara cannot read, easiest solution is to unistall postgre using DIm and Valentina will take over which works with carrara,
    you may need to rebuild your data base in DAZ studio under content management reimporting all your meta data etc
    I believe the public beta uses postgre http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/ I have not tried it

edited December 1969

that upgrade is for owners of C8.1 and probably stupidly priced to stop you buying it, having C8.1 in your content library would affect the price
    is a dumb way of doing stuff but only DAZ knows the reason for confuzzling customers that way.

edited December 1969

Oh I see you have another thread where Dartanbeck was helping you.
    more or less same thing I said but if you WANT to use that beta as he said it is a setting in DIM, I go the other way and AVOID beta anything :lol:

• roberthutchinsonroberthutchinson Posts: 306
    edited December 1969

that upgrade is for owners of C8.1 and probably stupidly priced to stop you buying it, having C8.1 in your content library would affect the price
    is a dumb way of doing stuff but only DAZ knows the reason for confuzzling customers that way.

So, in that I have C8.5 Pro, when will I be able to get the upgrade which solves the "Smart Content" issue? There is no way that I have the ability to get the beta public build no matter how I set my DIM, so I will need to wait for the upgrade that will be available to everyone. I really do not want to mess with the Prostege in DAZ and go backwards. By the way, I started this thread because I had a post deleted in the other thread, so I thought that that thread would die.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,348
    edited December 1969

I am the same as Wendy, I normally avoid the Beta especially if the "systems" are being swapped over.

Support ticket may be your best bet.

Dart's advice is also very good, but unless you are computer and/or Carrara "savvy" it could be a very good way to get even more confused,
    especially if you are still learning the in's and out's of Carrara.

There is also the STICKY thread at the top of the Carrara forums.
    Don't know if you have been able to follow what's going on in there.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/

Good luck, don't give up on Carrara, it's well worth the effort !!!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

edited January 2015

ok
    in DIM filter type postgre on installed page
    uninstall
    close DIM open DAZ studio
    check your smart content if working is ok
    if not restart computer sand open again if no smart content start CM and on right square right click reimport metadata under content DB management
    now when you open Carrara you should have smart content

Capture.JPG
    278 x 265 - 22K
    Untitled.jpg
    645 x 836 - 119K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited January 2015

What I wrote below IS wrong - I just checked and the beta I saw and it was the old pre-8.5 final release beta - sorry for any confusion!

Disregard this portion of my post!!!
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure 8.5 Pro Beta, which you will need to use Smart Content with PostgresSQL, isn't available via DIM. I just checked, and it doesn't show up in DIM at all for me, but if I go to My Account > Product Library, then search for Carrara, I can access/download it from there. It's called: Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA (PUBLIC BUILD).

Hope this helps!

Post edited by DustRider on
  • mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited January 2015

Yes, the only way to install it is using DIM.....

This BETA version is not available as a standalone installer. It must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager.
    Untitled.png
    1022 x 628 - 343K
    Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Oh shoot... I've forgotten:
    Also in DIM settings, make sure to go to the "Applications" tab and make sure that you have 64 bit Carrara stuff checked. Again, I'm not on ,y Carrara machine, and only have limited minutes when I can access a computer at all right now... you probably already checked that... just making sure!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Echoing slightly what Wendy said, I have the 8.5.1 beta, but Postgre *still* doesn't work for me, so it may not be the solution you're hoping for. (Daz support said my problem would be fixed in the "next public beta", but gave no indication when or if that would be available)

Right now, if you want to use smart content, your best bet is to uninstall Postgre and use Valentina. Waiting for "next" software releases is a mug's game, no matter who the vendor.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

I've been busy and also in work station/internet connection hell (don't ask). But am now trying to get back to using Carrara.

I cannot seem to get the new Pro Beta Public Build to download. I have W-7 64-bit and followed all the instructions. The path for Application is correctly showing 64-bit goes to Programs and not Programs (x86). :down:

When I start up DIM and tick the 64-bit for the Public Build (and 64 bit Render Node-- or not?) doesn't matter. I get DOWNLOAD FAILED.

Back when we had the 8.1 Beta and did it manually I had no trouble at sending it to the DAZ folder to live next to version 8. In face Version 8 is still in the DAZ folder next to current 8.5 Pro Build. So I am thinking the 8.5 Pro Build downloaded fine... was that via DIM? I don't remember. :down:

Do I need to specify an additional more specific path for the Public Build application to load...eg not just to Programs but C:Programs/DAZ ??? I must be doing something really wrong here. :red:

Any advice (in short simple words please), gratefully appreciated... taking meds again for back....pain in the other leg now ! :gulp:

:-/ Silene

edited December 1969

Even if any path is incorrect it should download without problems, it will not be noticed until it try to install it.

Happend to me a few times, for example I had not set path to Bryce but files downloaded fine and after that I got a message that it could not install it.

Have you checked if there is anything in the log for DIM ?

edited January 2015

Even if any path is incorrect it should download without problems, it will not be noticed until it try to install it.

Happend to me a few times, for example I had not set path to Bryce but files downloaded fine and after that I got a message that it could not install it.

Have you checked if there is anything in the log for DIM ?

Thanks Mikael,

Below was yesterdays log. Am attempting again, but just the programme, not the node. I think I remember that unless I am running renders on another machine to leave node off, or even uninstall if previously put on the same computer as Carrara? 8-/

So far it's been over 5 mins with the dowload stuck on 99%....hmmmmm I got the failed notice faster than this yesterday so maybe it will install. DIM was slow to come up today as well.

8-/ Silene

Current Content Install Path:
    Location = C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/Carrara8.5
    Disk Total: 688.9 GB (739744149504)
    Disk Avail: 417.5 GB (448373239808)
    Saving Account Settings: SileneUK
    Installing product : Carrara RenderNode 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    Killed Process
    WARNING: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
    Product installation failed : Carrara RenderNode 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    Installing product : Carrara 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    Killed Process
    Product installation failed : Carrara 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    Install Queue finished in 2 min 0.4 sec.
    Killed Process
    Product installation failed : Carrara 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    Installing product : Carrara RenderNode 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    Killed Process
    Product installation failed : Carrara RenderNode 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    Install Queue finished in 2 min 0.3 sec.
    Saving Account Settings: SileneUK
    --------------- Install Manager exited ------------------

ETA: OK looks like it downloaded....am leaving Render Node off so here's the log.
    It was much longer than the 6 mins reported... I clocked it, but perhaps when stuck on the 99% it was actually finished as far as the process was concerned.

Will try and open programme. Fingers crossed!

Product successfully installed : Carrara 8.5 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +Beta+
    Install Queue finished in 6 min 9.2 sec.

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

OK.... it created a desktop shortcut so I just clicked on it and it started to open then crashed:

Did I read someone else had this with Windows? Can someone point me to the thread or solution?

Cheers, Silene

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Carrara.exe
    Application Version: 8.5.0.12
    Application Timestamp: 543e56c9
    Fault Module Name: Carrara.exe
    Fault Module Version: 8.5.0.12
    Fault Module Timestamp: 543e56c9
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000000000013e871
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 409e
    Additional Information 2: 409e1e677a8c728cfa3fcfd097ff62b1
    Additional Information 3: 42a9
    Additional Information 4: 42a956fc786f1a2abd138f791088084d

edited December 1969

8.5 pro ONLY works with the old Valentina CMS
    8.5 pro beta ONLY works with the new Postgres CMS

So if you run the beta without Postgres CMS it will crash,
    this is the most common reason for crashing at startup.

edited December 1969

8.5 pro ONLY works with the old Valentina CMS
    8.5 pro beta ONLY works with the new Postgres CMS

So if you run the beta without Postgres CMS it will crash,
    this is the most common reason for crashing at startup.

Ah, that's it. Thank you!! :cheese:

So if I install Post-gre....will it work only on Beta and my Pro version will carry on with Valentina?

Is there a thread saying how to do that? Sorry, I've been not reading up on this for way too long, my fault.

:) Silene

edited December 1969
    edited January 2015

Thanks for your help... just what I need to read up on.

Cheers, x Silene

ETA: I am not confident about this after reading the above and am going to go back to using 8.5 Pro... don't want to break anything else after a month of unrelated-to-Carrara problems.

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

THis thread hs a lot of the FAultfinding to get it to work that was utilized as a few of us tried and some sucessfully and some partially sucessfully.
    I have both up and running and can have them running in paralel.
    I Just have to make sure that I run the Start DAZ CMS Script before I try entering either Carrara. THis was new when I moved to a Win 8.1 machine from a Win 7 Machine.