How to Make Tires in Carrara

Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've seen a lot of ways of making tires in many different software and quite frankly I wasn't real keen on their methods. Besides it was overly complicated. With Carrara, there are super tools to make a convincing and quickly done tire that will make your - well - proud.

There's a painted tire with the Carrara 8.5 logo (it's a truck tire for my fire engine water pumper project).

I'll try to keep the instructions brief, don't have a mic , so your stuck with point and text :)

Here's the tire I did for this tutorial, untextured, but thought the final result is worth seeing first.

howtomakethistire.jpg
707 x 682 - 276K
tire_carrara_85pro.jpg
640 x 480 - 18K

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited February 2015

edited

Post edited by Design Acrobat on
    edited February 2015

edited

edited February 2015

edited

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Nice I will have to try it now.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tutorial! This is one that I think I will make some time to try.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

One other method to consider....

One of the greatest inventions of all time for CG'ers is Google Search/Images. Go to Google, search for "tire tread", and then select "Images", and up will pop pages and pages and pages of images of various tire treads. And you can use those as either displacement or bump or texture maps for a simple cylindrical tire mesh.

edited February 2015

edited

edited December 1969

Good point...carry on... :) :)

edited December 1969

Not to take anything away from this great tutorial, but for those who can settle for bump map solution (perhaps a far away shot not requiring actual mesh modelling), here's a very quick and nasty bump map tire from an image downloaded.

Tire1.jpg
    1200 x 1086 - 115K